Question kick mats on modern front seats

Athena

The free kick mats promo offer got me thinking. With all the cars that now say not to hang things from the front seats (or kick them, good luck getting kids to stop that :rolleyes:), is something light like that okay to use? It would be nice. My car's interior has gotten so dirty, but the kick mats I tried years ago didn't fit my front seats well.

ADS

jnamommy

I use a Tshirt over captains chairs. The armrests come right out of the sleeves :). Not sure about bench seats...

Jessica61624

I don't see how they'd mess anything up. The top part goes over the head rest bars and there is a piece of elastic at the bottm that goes over the bottom of the seat.

Athena

I use a Tshirt over captains chairs. The armrests come right out of the sleeves :). Not sure about bench seats...

:confused: Are you thinking of seat protectors? I meant the kick mats that hang on front seats for forward facing kids. Sadly, my kids outgrew RFing a while ago.

I don't see how they'd mess anything up. The top part goes over the head rest bars and there is a piece of elastic at the bottm that goes over the bottom of the seat.

I thought it might be the weight the car manufacturer's were worried about, that it might mess with the airbag sensor.

jnamommy

Nope, we use Tshirts for FFing kiddos too. Put a Tshirt over MY captains chair, then my FFing kiddo sits in the seat behind me. When dirty lil feet go on the back of my seat, they are only touching the Tshirt on my chair.

Athena

Nope, we use Tshirts for FFing kiddos too. Put a Tshirt over MY captains chair, then my FFing kiddo sits in the seat behind me. When dirty lil feet go on the back of my seat, they are only touching the Tshirt on my chair.

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. Hadn't heard of that term for front seats. That is a good idea with the t-shirts, although if I got the free kick mats, I'd really hope to use those.

Jessica61624

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. Hadn't heard of that term for front seats. That is a good idea with the t-shirts, although if I got the free kick mats, I'd really hope to use those.

They're really light. Mayve with stuff in them. We don't use them for storage.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

This will interfere with *your* torso airbags! It sounds like a good idea in theory, but it's dangerous in practice :(. It's best to just use a kick mat or Mr. Sponge eraser every couple of weeks.

2BunniesMommy

I have them on my car. Never even crossed my mind that they wouldn't be ok. They don't add any weight or block anything. Hope I am right in my thinking.

jnamommy

How does having a Tshirt over my seat interfere with my airbags? Or does this depnd on your vehicle? In our vehicles, we only have front airbags, so I don't see how a Tshirt over my chair affects the airbags? (although I am not sure what a torso airbag is either)

thanks

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How does having a Tshirt over my seat interfere with my airbags? Or does this depnd on your vehicle? In our vehicles, we only have front airbags, so I don't see how a Tshirt over my chair affects the airbags? (although I am not sure what a torso airbag is either)

thanks

Yeah, depends on the vehicle. Many newer cars (even my 2003 Honda) have airbags that deploy out of the side of the seat itself. You just have to be sure that you aren't blocking something like that from deploying properly. (There's usually some indicator there, SRS for Supplemental Restraint System is on mine, in a plastic badge right there on the side of the seat.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC