Would You Rather...

JCsMomma

Okay, I know the best choice would be to find a position with a top tether or to rear face... But let's pretend neither scenario is possible- If you had a FF, almost 4 year old & 40lb child that had to be in a seat with no top tether, which seat would you rather use (and let's ignore cost, etc as well and pretend this is the deciding factor):

1. Britax Frontier 85 using LBP

2. Recaro ProSport using lap/shoulder belt which seems to work similarly to the LBP on the FR85

3. Britax Frontier90/Pinnacle 90 with SafeCell which if I'm reading correctly will reduce head excursion in a crash

ADS

nannykates

I'd do frontier 85 lbp. I feel more sure that long belt path works to reduce head excursion than safe cells(maybe if I had seen a video of safe cells working I would feel differently but I thought they were onr of those "maybe" technologies). Isn't there also question as to how effective safe cells will be in the 90 because of the lower profile base? The prosport lap and shoulder belt just doesn't seem as dynamic of an install to me.

But that is my reletively uneducated (compared to folks on here) opinion.

JCsMomma

I'd do frontier 85 lbp. I feel more sure that long belt path works to reduce head excursion than safe cells(maybe if I had seen a video of safe cells working I would feel differently but I thought they were onr of those "maybe" technologies). Isn't there also question as to how effective safe cells will be in the 90 because of the lower profile base? The prosport lap and shoulder belt just doesn't seem as dynamic of an install to me.

But that is my reletively uneducated (compared to folks on here) opinion.

Hmmm, I sort of thought the safe cells compressing and lowering the center of gravity was the way it reduces forward movement? I'm basically just paraphrasing what Britax said though, I honestly have no deep understanding of how these technologies work. I could swear I read someone had seen a video of safecell in action, I wish I knew who that was.

nannykates

Hmmm, I sort of thought the safe cells compressing and lowering the center of gravity was the way it reduces forward movement? I'm basically just paraphrasing what Britax said though, I honestly have no deep understanding of how these technologies work. I could swear I read someone had seen a video of safecell in action, I wish I knew who that was.

I think my issue is everything we have seen of the safe cells has been in the convertibles which have a very different base design. There isn't much space under the seatbelt for the cells to crush on the 90.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would go ProSport... for two reasons. First, I personally feel that the straight-across belt path is going to provide a more even restraint than the serpentine LBP, which may torque to one side. That's my laymen, parent-not-tech answer based on nothing but the thoughts inside my head though. Secondly, to me it's telling that Recaro is so confident in their LBP that they require it, withOUT tether, at higher weights... whereas Britax requires installation WITH tether at higher weights, regardless as LBP.

As a tech, I would first attempt to retrofit or rear-face if possible, of course.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC