Question 3 across vehicle suggestions

G

grafton

We have 3 kids (4, 2, 6 months) are are looking for a new vehicle. We have a Kia minivan now and it works well. However, my eldest is moving up to a booster and I'm wondering if anyone has advice on a vehicle that can hold 1 booster and 2 car seats (1 rear-facing for now) that's not a minivan. I need lots of room as we camp too. Any suggestions?
We have 2 First Years True Fit seats (1 will be rear facing) and a Britax Parkway SG Booster seat.
Thank you.

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hello, and welcome to car-seat.org :)

Your question is better suited for the Car and Vehicle Safety forum where you will get more focused advice from those knowledgeable about car shopping. I'm going to move your question there now.

cantabdad

Somewhere on this site there is a list of vehicles with 3 full sets of LATCH. With one in a booster, you don't necessarily need all 3, but it's a good indicator of the width of the back seat. I believe the Chevrolet Impala is one... But none of them were vehicles I was terribly familiar with. I can tell you that recently I borrowed a Subaru Outback and there was adequate room for 2 carseats and an adult passenger, even for a long drive. We've also had the Prius V as a taxi and got 2 carseats and an adult. Both of these are wagon-type cars with plenty of room for gear, and of course the Outback has AWD if that is a consideration.

MommyShannon

The newer model Odyssey would be great for 3 across and camping imo. Will your 4 year old be in a belt positioning booster or "harnesses booster" (combination seat)? Most 4 year olds don't have the maturity to move to a belt positioning booster and they are harder to buckle in 3 across situations.

emntheboys

When you say "not a minivan" are you thinking car or SUV? I'm going to assume SUV. Do you want the option of having a 3rd row (I have 3 kids too so I'm just gonna say that you want the option ;))?

A couple of SUVs to look at would be the Honda Pilot, the 8 pass GM clones (Traverse, Acadia, Outlook, Enclave), and the 8 pass Kia Sorento. A lot of full sized SUVs come with a middle row bench option as well.

Of those, the Pilot is one of the most recommended because it has headrests and top tethers in all rear seating positions- this is very important for seating flexibility with your seats. It is also very 3 across friendly in the 2nd row.

marie4589

I have a 2011 Honda Pilot and it has latch in all three seats in the middle row and an extra set in the back. I currently have three across in the middle a row. A Graco Nautilus behind the driver, a Baby Trend infant seat in the middle and a Harmony Dream time booster behind the passenger. I love it! I keep the third row folded down and have a lot of room for my double stroller and groceries plus anything else. With the third row up there is still adequate room for stuff.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC