Question Pillow between person and belt

Xandra

Is it okay to regularly ride around with a pillow pet between your belly and the seatbelt? I had a hysterectomy on Monday, and this is how I got home from the hospital. Today was the first time I've been out of the house since I got home on Wednesday night. I tried without the pillow because I'm wearing support underwear and a belly binder, so I figured those layers would help with the seatbelt. It wasn't enough, so I had to use the pillow pet again. Is this okay to keep doing? There's a 6-8 week recovery, so I don't see the problem going away soon. The seatbelt fits correctly with the pillow. What do you ladies think?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't do it. You're putting space between you and your belt. It's like a puffy coat in a harness.

If you can't do without it, I'd say don't go in the car except for emergencies.

Where is your incision? What part of the belt is irritating it? Maybe we can troubleshoot something that will work.

Xandra

My hysterectomy was a Laproscopically (sp?) Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. So I have a one and a half inch incision at my belly button, a half inch incision on my right side just above my hip, and a half inch incision in the center of my pelvis, just below the hair line. The seatbelt bothers that last one. Mostly though it's not the incision that makes it hurt, it's my insides that the seatbelt hurts. I had a total hysterectomy and Oompherectomy, plus endometriosis and adhesions removed. The only thing he left was my cervix. So my insides are pretty pissed off to say the least. My belly is very swollen, and will be for several months I'm told. My abdomen is just plain painful with any pressure besides the support underwear and belly binder.

Thanks for helping with coming up with an alternative solution.

nannykates

Could you try layering up some fleece? I feel like a pillow pet is a lot of material in there. I would try to limit the bulk as much as possible and go without it as soon as you can.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I actually found that a folded sheet was really good for protecting my c-sec incision- better than a pillow for splinting. It at least wouldn't add fluff... Maybe try that? And limit time in the car to emergencies as much as possible.

lovemy2kidstw

Do you have a thin fleece blanket, like the $5 ones from Walmart? I took one of those & folded it several times to where it was about 4 in thick, but only about 1 when you compressed it, when I had my tummy tuck. It's not ideal or completely safe, but it is reality sometimes & you have to do the best you can :)

Xandra

Can I use a fleece baby blanket? The kind you make at home by cutting and tying off the edges? I have a few small ones of those put up for new foster arrivals. If so, how many layers would you say max?

I won't be in the car much, it will only be when necessary. Such as tomorrow is my one week post-OP. DD2 has an appt on Thursday, will need to get to and from the airport in a few weeks, etc. Definitely not looking forward to that flight, it's going to be painful not being able to put my feet up all day!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A fleece blanket I'd say no more than 3 or 4 layers thick if it's thin fleece (2 if it's thick.) It's a little thicker than you want safety wise but, you know, this is a compromise.

Kat_Momof3

a pillow pet would compress in a crash... I would recommend folding up a thick sweater, a fleece shirt/jacket, or towel... nothing that can be squished in a crash

Xandra

I think that would be enough. Thank-you ladies for helping me figure this out :) I only had six days between when the dr decided to do it and when it happened, because he had a cancellation. I didn't get to plan as well as I would have liked.

daniele_ut

I'm 17 months post-hysterectomy and from what I remember I was feeling much, much better pain wise within 2 weeks. I hope that is the case for you too! Mine was a c-section/hysterectomy with a vertical incision that extended from my belly button to just above my pubic bone. I also had removal of my cervix, bladder reconstruction and removal of endometriosis adhesions as well. I never used anything to pad my seat belt, but we didn't take any long drives for weeks after my surgery. I had to travel back and forth to the hospital 2-3 times a day after I was discharged, though, because DS2 was still in the NICU.

Sending feel better vibes your way!

bella_1818

Sort of off topic, but did the hospital give you the binder or did you bring it?

If you brought it, would you recommend it?

I'm having my first C/S in August and I'll have a 2 hour ride home.

Xandra

Sort of off topic, but did the hospital give you the binder or did you bring it?

If you brought it, would you recommend it?

I'm having my first C/S in August and I'll have a 2 hour ride home.

I bought it at Motherhood Maternity. It's awesome!! I'm still wearing it 9 days later!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC