Question Lockability standards in Canada

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Are all seatbelts in Canadian models required to have a pre-crash locking feature, as FMVSS 208 requires on US models? Either a locking retractor (ALR or switchable) or a locking latchplate? I'm having a discussion on facebook with a mom who is convinced that her center seatbelt does not lock and want to be sure I'm not missing something.
Thanks!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I actually don't think so - I think we have locking seat belts because the US does and it's cheaper to just do them the same for us when the cars come off the line. Just about everything we do have from 96 onward HAS locking belts though.

There was a thread recently about a 2013 Mercedes that has only ELR belts. It wasn't released in the US, just Europe and here, and so no lockability required. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=245623

I did also read something recently that says we're getting it come 2015, in TSD 208, section S7.1.1.5 is where it calls for a lockable belt:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/roadsafety/TSD_208rev0_feb_2013.pdf

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
OK, 2009 Dodge Journey, Canadian model. Does anyone have one? Center seatbelt in back. The US manual says it should be cinching latchplate, Canadian manual does not specify. Outboard seatbelts are switchable.
Thanks!

Pixelated

This movie at 6:11 shows a cinching one, and the half twist to force it to stay parallel if it's slipping. Earlier it shows a locking clip if you need to go that route.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD1Z3Kbs5xE"]How does your seat belt lock? - YouTube[/ame]

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Thanks everyone - I found the Canadian manual and it states that there is a cinching latchplate in that position, in addition to all the help you have been.

tam_shops

And, don't forget, just b/c it has/had a locking plate or retractor, doesn't mean it still locks and/or stays locked.

My 1987 camper has a locking plate on one side and locking re-tractor on the other, in the back. The locking does not lock. The retractor sort of locks. It just won't pull back in tight enough to actually lock the seat to get less than 1" movement and dh and I both tried everything.

Obvious answer is to replace both (anyway), but they're on back order and have been for months! Finally got some in stock and ordered all my belts and they didn't send the stupid ones I *really* needed! So, the easy answer for the person, might not be so easy!

tam

canadiangie

And, don't forget, just b/c it has/had a locking plate or retractor, doesn't mean it still locks and/or stays locked.

My 1987 camper has a locking plate on one side and locking re-tractor on the other, in the back. The locking does not lock. The retractor sort of locks. It just won't pull back in tight enough to actually lock the seat to get less than 1" movement and dh and I both tried everything.

Obvious answer is to replace both (anyway), but they're on back order and have been for months! Finally got some in stock and ordered all my belts and they didn't send the stupid ones I *really* needed! So, the easy answer for the person, might not be so easy!

tam

The easy answer would be to sell the 87 camper van, and get a hotel. ;)

tam_shops

Ha ha ha, NEVER! They'll have to pry that from my cold dead hands! :jive::dance::jive:

And, given where I live and the lack of safety features my big old slow heavy vehicle had, that might be a reality one day. :eek:

SENSITIVE MATERIAL including a death.

http://www.richmondreview.com/news/206845811.html

http://www.richmondreview.com/news/206941361.html

This was a few miles from my house. I usually go through *that* intersection at 3:30pm but was late that day b/c an annoying parent phoned to express her concern about her dd skipping my class and thus loosing marks...I'll have to thank the child! :rolleyes:

I know the brother of the woman that's mini-van was pushed into the ditch. And, someone else that witnessed the entire thing...

Got proper TAs and am getting...new seat belts and we'll be good to sleep in the woods w/ the bugs and frogs! :p Oh, and waiting on others to sample/try/test the VW OEM head rest brackets too! Though, both boys being in a full car seat, for a few years, I'm in no hurry. Maybe you'll have talked me into that hotel by then. I suggest you start w/ my dh, he hates camping anyway!

The environment can't handle everyone junking cars that are more than a few years and getting new ones, anyway! ;)

tam

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
It just won't pull back in tight enough to actually lock the seat to get less than 1" movement and dh and I both tried everything.

Did you try a BSC? You wouldn't even need to get all the slack out into the loop, just enough to compensate for the dead space in the retractor.

*note, this used to be a common issue in 80's vehicles

tam_shops

My dad still drives a Model T. My mom drove a 1965 Cadillac until a few years ago when a truck got it in Richmond. My 26yo camper is a Spring Chicken w/ less mileage than my car. Cars can go on and on and on for years and years. And, do in other countries...Plus, there are very few death related crashes associated w/ this camper van, even though there are still thousands on the road still and back in the day were way more! LOL

Is that new pic of DD in the Clek NBB? 8.5yo and NBB, eeaak! Better start transitioning me to that now! LOL
:question: I'm counting 26 years since 1987, lol. That really isn't junking a vehicle that is only a few years old. :p

Yep, thank you. 3 of the 4 new belts I needed just arrived. Still waiting on the lap/shoulder belt for the back seat though...
Did you try a BSC? You wouldn't even need to get all the slack out into the loop, just enough to compensate for the dead space in the retractor.

*note, this used to be a common issue in 80's vehicles

snowbird25ca

Is that new pic of DD in the Clek NBB? 8.5yo and NBB, eeaak! Better start transitioning me to that now! LOL

Her regular booster is a high back booster. I have an Oobr coming so that I have matching seats in the truck. After using the Oobr with ds I just wasn't happy with the Monterey anymore. But yes, a backless booster at 8.5 is definitely very appropriate and I don't worry about the times when she rides in one. She doesn't sleep in our secondary vehicle regularly but still likes having a place to rest her head, otherwise I'd probably have her in a backless more often. Our truck has good side impact ratings and side curtain airbags. I'd feel differently about high back vs. backless if I was in a vehicle without side curtain airbags or with poor side impact crash ratings.

tam_shops

Thanks Trudy, will keep all that in mind! I was starting to think about a NBB for school field trips, but maybe next year...

It's interesting, I noticed the same thing w/ the sturdiness of the Parkway, Monterey and Oobr when I was shopping. Have your kids commented on the difference between comfort in the Monterey vs Oobr?

I know my ODS liked the Monterey more than the Oobr, when he tried both in the store. Said it was more comfortable. I just couldn't get past the head rest issue and went w/ the Oobr...Since I now have 2 vehicles w/ no head rest, I'm especially glad that I did that!

Where do you check the side impact review ratings? Will be in the market for a new car in the next few years and certainly will check that out...Have my heart set on a Rav 4 w/ 3rd row seating, though, may go for a Prius. Or something completely different, but not a mini-van one big gas guzzler per family is enough. :cool:

So, a NBB in my camper van w/ no head rests, not such a good idea! :p

Her regular booster is a high back booster. I have an Oobr coming so that I have matching seats in the truck. After using the Oobr with ds I just wasn't happy with the Monterey anymore. But yes, a backless booster at 8.5 is definitely very appropriate and I don't worry about the times when she rides in one. She doesn't sleep in our secondary vehicle regularly but still likes having a place to rest her head, otherwise I'd probably have her in a backless more often. Our truck has good side impact ratings and side curtain airbags. I'd feel differently about high back vs. backless if I was in a vehicle without side curtain airbags or with poor side impact crash ratings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC