Boosters and the Grand Caravan/Routan

cookie123

Can we revisit this? Hannah might consent to a high back if she can stay outboard back there. It couldn't have a really high seat though. Any thoughts on that? ALso, does anyone know if latch is offset back there off the top of their head?

I finally got a look at the seat belt fit for the Hannah (10) in the back row of the Routan and it is hardly on her shoulder at all in the Walmart booster - the cheap one - I'm forgetting the name. Also, will the shoulder strap thingie help?

Any ideas anyone? I did pick up the Graco Affix yesterday. After lunch I'm going to force them out there to check what's what.

Last edited:
ADS

cookie123

Well, darn. DD had to leave with the van to get Hannah. I tried Brett in the Connext in the Prius. The shoulder belt behind the driver seems a bit too much off his shoulder. The adjuster strap didn't help. Actually it seems to loosen after I adjust it. I tried him in the Monterey backless and it was the same. No adjuster strap. I put the back on and it was maybe every so slightly better but he's just about too tall for it. He's at the belt guide.

featherhead

You should try the backless that has the odd routing. The shoulderbelt goes over the armrest instead of under. It pulls the belt further onto the shoulder. Unfortunately I forget the name of it.

cookie123

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Brett liked the Connext ( I guess I got that, not the Affix - oops!)

Unfortunately they did not get home with the van before I had to go to work. With tomorrow being Mother's Day, and brunch, and work, it will probably be Monday before I have a chance to try and deal with this again.

kater-tot82

I have yet to find a backless that works in the outer backseats in the third row of our Routan. DD1 sits in the middle seat of the third row for that reason. I've tried Harmony boosters, TB backless, topside..none have had good shoulderbelt fit.

I'll be watching this to see if you have better luck!

stephpook

I had to put my boostered kids in the second row captains chairs and my harnessed kids in the third row in the GC we rented while on vacation last year for this very reason. I had two backless Turbos for them and the shoulder belt didn't even come close to being in contact with their shoulders and the belt positioning clip did nothing to help.

Phineasmama

The Kiddy World Plus and Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro will work in the 3rd row, but I am planning on moving DD1 to the captains chair when she is old enough for a backless- she will probably stay harnessed in the FR90 till then. And hopefully at that point DD2 will be more than old enough to go FFing and I can just have her and DS FFing in the 3rd row together. I really like having one of the captains chairs stowed.

cookie123

I think we should all complain to their customer service.:) I shouldn't bother with the topside then? Darn.

kater-tot82

I think we should all complain to their customer service.:) I shouldn't bother with the topside then? Darn.

I wouldn't bother with it. When I tried DD in it, the belt was really far forward from her body still. Not something I was really comfortable with. I would let it go in a pinch, but not for daily use or anything.

cookie123

I'm trying to talk DD into having Hannah stay in the middle rear and having Matt in the secureKid back there with her. They could probably make that work for a year or more til he's 7 , but when Matt is out of his harnessed seat there's going to be a problem.

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
I hated that van and was thrilled to get rid of it in march. No backless boosters worked because no matter how the belt is routed at the armrests, it's still a good 3" away from the body.

cookie123

Fabulous. Just what you want to hear when you've made a sacrifice to get a van to safely fit your kids in. And you expect to put your big kids in back and so on.

Phineasmama

I didn't know it was so bad for boosters when I bought it either. But it was really the only thing we could afford because we needed to get something newer...

stephie1012

I had it as a rental for 2 weeks. My kids begged everyday for our sienna back. The belts slipped out of the belt guides of their boosters so much. They were so frustrated, every time they went to buckle they had to reroute the belt. And what is with that weird latch location in the 3rd row?

alex9179

Fabulous. Just what you want to hear when you've made a sacrifice to get a van to safely fit your kids in. And you expect to put your big kids in back and so on.

Yep. We bought the GC in 2010, when everyone was still in harnesses. I was peeved when the boosters started replacing them and the seat belts weren't working. My 5 yr old will be in a harness forever since my 9 yr old will be 18 before the 3rd row seat belt touches her shoulder!

Stupid design team.

cookie123

I emailed VW and they referred me to the NHTSA, lol!

One more thing. Does the Topside route the belt closer in on the neck? I was thinking maybe then the belt guide would keep it close to the body.

cookie123

Took a quick look at the Topside today at Target. It didn't appear there was a belt positioner. Is that true?

njkj

We are having a problem with the belt staying in the guide of DSs Turbo SS in our new T&C For the first time I am glad I have a Monterey with the crappy belt guide so we have a solution for the moment.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC