Question Indtalling seats on leather

scuby20

We often have to move out seats around and my husbands car has leather seats. We gave a britax fromtier and a radian xt. Both are extremely hard to secure on the leather. I havent been on this site in a while, as we have been happy w our britax frontier, buying another soon as the radian is getting difficult to tighten on the child. But the instalation on leather is difficult. I know not to use 99% of after market products. Ps the car is a VW passat. But im assuming this will be an issue in any leather. Thanks!

ADS

Stelvis

What method are you using to install the seats? Latch vs. seatbelt for example.
I have not found either of those seats hard to install in a variety of leather vehicle seats, so maybe we can figure out if there's something else going on.

mybabybean

I *think* I have only installed my Frontier 85 on my leather seats with LATCH. I have however, installed lots of car seats in lots of cars, at least 4 of which have leather. I find it much more difficult to get a tight install on leather. I used to think that the leather itself was causing the sliding BUT have finally discovered/determined that it is actually because the leather does not compress as easily making it harder to get the seat tight enough. My recommendation from experience is a 2 person install, one person pushing and/or sitting on the seat and the other tightening with all their strength. Also, just a note the older the leather the harder it is to compress. Treating the leather does make it slicker, BUT makes it compress better. Good luck!

Stelvis

I'm thinking that if she's installing the Frontier with LATCH, switching to long belt path often gives a much better install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC