convertable (3 in 1) car seat to fit 2002 GMC Jimmy

U

Unregistered

Hello, I would be grateful for some advice on which car seat would best suit our needs.

My son has just turned one year old. He is roughly 24 pounds. I would like to purchase a car seat for him that would allow him to rear-face until 30 pounds. After this I would like to use the same seat as a forward-facing seat. Ideally I would like to use this seat as a booster, eventually. But my main concern is the safety of the rear and forward facing positions in my vehicle. Any suggestions or advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Meghan
British Columbia

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice on which car seat would best suit our needs.

My son has just turned one year old. He is roughly 24 pounds. I would like to purchase a car seat for him that would allow him to rear-face until 30 pounds. After this I would like to use the same seat as a forward-facing seat. Ideally I would like to use this seat as a booster, eventually. But my main concern is the safety of the rear and forward facing positions in my vehicle. Any suggestions or advice would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Meghan
British Columbia

Hi Meghan,

Good for you for wanting to keep your son rear facing (rf'ing,) until 30lbs.

What seat is your son currently in, and what harness slots is he using?

The 3in1 seats aren't generally regarded very highly. The top usable harness height isn't high enough to get most kids to booster age, and the seat doesn't make a good booster because it doesn't position the seatbelt close enough to the child's body.

Depending on what seat your ds is in now, and how close he is to outgrowing it, I would recommend the Marathon. The ones with a ff'ing 65lb weight limit should be starting to show up on shelf stores in the next 6 to 8wks, although the current ones all go to 48lbs. It has high top slots and gets most kids to booster age. It's a bit of a sticker shock when you first look at it, but it's worth it when you consider you not only get a seat that's going to last your ds until he's around 5yrs old, but it's also easy to use and installs well in most vehicles.

My other recommendation would be the Sunshine Kids Radian which also now has a ff'ing weight limit of 65lbs. The top slot height is a bit higher than the Marathon, and it will get most kids to an age where they're mature enough for a booster. It does have installation problems in some vehicles though, so it's a seat you want to try installing first. It almost always installs well with the UAS anchors, but once your ds gets past 48lbs, it would have to be installed with the vehicle seat belt. If you decide to get a Radian, I'd recommend getting one from a baby boutique as the Canadian Tire ones all have older dates of manufacture and only has 48lb weight limits.

All convertible seats in Canada at present have a maximum rf'ing weight limit of 30lbs, so right now I'd recommend looking for a seat that's going to last the longest. It's cheaper to spend $230 to $300 on a seat now and not have to buy anything else until your son hits booster age, then to spend @ $200 on a 3in1 and then have to buy another harnessed seat down the road. :twocents:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
The 3in1 seats aren't generally regarded very highly. The top usable harness height isn't high enough to get most kids to booster age, and the seat doesn't make a good booster because it doesn't position the seatbelt close enough to the child's body.

Depending on what seat your ds is in now, and how close he is to outgrowing it, I would recommend the Marathon. The ones with a ff'ing 65lb weight limit should be starting to show up on shelf stores in the next 6 to 8wks, although the current ones all go to 48lbs. It has high top slots and gets most kids to booster age. It's a bit of a sticker shock when you first look at it, but it's worth it when you consider you not only get a seat that's going to last your ds until he's around 5yrs old, but it's also easy to use and installs well in most vehicles.

My other recommendation would be the Sunshine Kids Radian which also now has a ff'ing weight limit of 65lbs. The top slot height is a bit higher than the Marathon, and it will get most kids to an age where they're mature enough for a booster. It does have installation problems in some vehicles though, so it's a seat you want to try installing first. It almost always installs well with the UAS anchors, but once your ds gets past 48lbs, it would have to be installed with the vehicle seat belt. If you decide to get a Radian, I'd recommend getting one from a baby boutique as the Canadian Tire ones all have older dates of manufacture and only has 48lb weight limits.

All convertible seats in Canada at present have a maximum rf'ing weight limit of 30lbs, so right now I'd recommend looking for a seat that's going to last the longest. It's cheaper to spend $230 to $300 on a seat now and not have to buy anything else until your son hits booster age, then to spend @ $200 on a 3in1 and then have to buy another harnessed seat down the road. :twocents:
:yeahthat:
I agree :thumbsup: I started off with a comfortsport by Graco ($200) and ds outgrew it by 2yrs of age and then I was off to search for a seat with higher top harness slots (I got a Marathon for $300; could have saved myself $200 here :rolleyes:). For a forward facing seat the straps must be at or above the shoulders and once the shoulders are above the top slots the seat is then outgrown even if it isn't by weight. The AO/AOE, my ds outgrew it at roughly the same age. I really recommend that you look at top slots and look at the Marathon and the Radian. The Radian is usually cheaper then the Eddie Baur 3 in 1's and will last you a lot longer.

With the 3 in 1's they are often outgrown by being over the top harness slots so then either the child has to move to a booster (before they are ready) or you need another seat. The 3 in 1 only harness' to 40lbs which is the min. requirement for booster use, ideally it is best to keep children rear facing until the max. limit of the seat (which you said you wanted, good for you!) and to the max. limit of the seat forward facing. So then if you get another seat to then this seat ends up being "stored" or not in use until you are ready to use it as a booster wasting away life before expiring not being used. At 40lbs and with low top harness slots this seat doesn't give you a lot of extended options.

ukmum

RADIAN seat to fit 2002 GMC Jimmy

Thanks you for the replies! The radian seat sounds great.

Can anyone tell me if they have successfully installed the Radian into a 2002 GMC Jimmy using the seatbelt? (there is NO UAE/Latch on this vehicle).

Thanks for any replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC