Question Ford Inflatable Seat Belts - any real-world results yet?

AK Dad

Anybody heard anything? I know they're in so few vehicles so far that a study is a long way off, but I haven't even seen any anecdotal evidence of how well they may or may not be working yet in the real-world.

I'm actually thinking a Parkway SGL with the SecureGuard clip and an inflatable seatbelt might be an awesome setup!

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
There would be no compatibility issues so it wouldn't surprise me if Britax approved it. Not sure how much real world data Ford has collected yet but they've expanded their inflatable belt offering to include it as an option on the '13 Flex and '13 Lincoln MKT so obviously they think it's valuable and beneficial technology. I love the technology but the new generation Explorer is such a disappointment when it comes to the realities of kids and carseats.

Thanks for the reminder that I need to go update my Explorer Review blog to include the latest info from Britax & Safe Traffic Systems.

AK Dad

I know the Britax convertibles you can install w an inflatable seat belt I'm not sure about the pkwy w a secure guard

Yep, they allow it now with all of their seats except the new Frontier and Pinnacle because of the ClickTight system.

AK Dad

I love the technology but the new generation Explorer is such a disappointment when it comes to the realities of kids and carseats.

Yep, I agree with that, and unfortunately the Flex with the middle split bench seat isn't much better - still lots of big, plastic-clad hinge covers and things intruding into the seat bight. Oh, and they couldn't have hidden the TA's any better if they'd tried!

If I were to get one I think I'd go for the middle row captain's chairs w/o the center console to make 3rd row access ever so slightly easier.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Yeah, the Flex is just as bad - identical as far as I can tell. Ditto for the '13 MKT which is probably why Ford chose to give those models the inflatable belt option. Can you buy the 6 passenger Explorer with inflatable belts? I'm not sure if that's even an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC