Ok, I need some advice here

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I checked my trainer's seat yesterday. His 2.5 year old is probably 32-34 pounds, FFing in a Scenera (12/19/05). The seat wasn't actually installed somehow. The dad swears it was that morning, and he's never lied to me or mislead me. It wouldn't surprise me that it wasn't clicked tightly, or if it was unbuckled by the kid as he was getting out.

It's a 1996 GM, Oldsmobile I think? Decidedly the car they try to avoid using. Anyway, lightweight locking latchplates in the back, sewn in the front. The child is behind the passenger. The seatbelt behind the passenger is actually missing the locking latchplate part. Can't put the child behind the driver because the driver's seat doesn't stay up on its own, so the dad has a board flat on top of the backseat to prop the driver's seat up.

The locking clip was on the seat, so I pulled that off, used it to lock the seatbelt, and showed dad how to make sure the seat is in (the seat gets moved back and forth a lot). I showed him how to use it and told him to just not remove the locking clip. The seat is in solidly (it's rocking the car, it had been tipping around turns, of course since the seatbelt couldn't lock at all). I untwisted the straps as best I could, but there was still one twist in there. I have no idea how, I went over that strap from end to end. Infinitely better than it had been, but not perfect.

Their other vehicle is a 2004 Ford Windstar with lightweight locking latchplates (intact) or LATCH, so they won't need the locking clip there. I told him about flipping the belt if necessary.

Having the child next to the flat board on the backseat has me worried, but I don't know that there's anything to do other than restrict the kid being in the car, which they do already. I haven't touched a sewn buckle since my class. I didn't check to see if it retracted at the lap or shoulder. I nearly used it since I couldn't find the locking clip right off the bat.

Mostly it's the board that really concerns me. How to keep the seat up but the child safe? Is there something else to do re: the locking clip, the placement, etc. I didn't weigh the son, I've seen him, he's a solid kid and while he's not tall he can't weigh less than Piper. I didn't push the ERFing, generally I would, but at nearing three and the weight limit for the Scenera, I thought just teaching dad how to install it properly in his vehicles would be my mitzvah for the day.

Any ideas of what to do? If anything? The car has no AC, it's obviously on its last legs, they use it for the kids as rarely as possible (oh, there's a 7 year old in nothing. I told dad of the law, I've only met that son once I don't know at a glance how big or heavy he is to know if he'd pass the 5 step test or not, regardless of NC law). Is there something safer than can help hold the driver's seat up? And to double check myself, the locking clip was the way to go, right?

Wendy

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
You did the best you could Wendy. The locking clip was the right thing to do. There really isn't anything you can do to prop the seat up safely. Maybe he can find a better one a Pick N Pull?

I don't think the front would have been any better for the child, And I think that the 7 yr old would be better off in the front because 7 yr old will have more side to side movement in a side impact than the child in the 5pt.

Unfortunately, this is one of those times when I just have to say that there is no safe way for a child ( or an adult for that matter) to ride in that vehicle.

Kimberly

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm actually more concerned about dad, now that you've got the carseat fixed. Does he understand that board will likely kill him?

You're right, though, sometimes you just do the best you can with what you've got. I work with a guy who has a really old beater that has those old seat belts where the shoulder portion moves back automatically when you start the car, and you buckle the lap portion yourself? Yeah, the shoulder thing doesn't work anymore, so he's secured in front of an AIRBAG with just the lap belt! I've tried explaining to him that even in a low-speed crash the airbag is going to seriously injure or kill him, but he says that's fine. :( He's such a sweet guy; I just hate seeing him ride like that!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks. This was feeling a bit like the one that got away. I didn't mention the board to the dad, there's so little he can do about it. Often I see him there with the Ford, so I know he avoids this one as much as possible.

Thanks.

Wendy

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yeah, the shoulder thing doesn't work anymore, so he's secured in front of an AIRBAG with just the lap belt! I've tried explaining to him that even in a low-speed crash the airbag is going to seriously injure or kill him, but he says that's fine.

He says it is fine if it kills him?

I would worry that this guy is clinically depressed.

Kimberly

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I agree Wendy you did the best you could. It's a hard situation but some of the times this is the best a family can do. You educated dad on the safety concerns you had regarding the board & the nonworking l/s belt for himself. At this point he has to make the decision for himself to be safe. But, They just may not be able to fix this vehicle or replace it. All you can do it pray nothing happens to him while he is in it.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I would worry that this guy is clinically depressed.

Yeah, I wonder that, as well. His actual words were "Well, I don't plan to survive any car accidents anyway," and when I asked if he meant even ones in parking lots he shrugged it off. I think he really just doesn't believe the risk! But depression wouldn't surprise me, either. :(

skaterbabs

I would have put the child in the front seat, and locked the lapbelt. In a '96 GM, the lap portion of the sewn on buckle is on a switchable retractor. That's what my '93 Cadillac had and I think that's what my Suburban has for the front passenger seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC