Sienna '08 mileage question

sunflower

A Sienna 2008, 8 passenger with 200,000 km. Is it worth buying? It's in good condition. Do you trust the Toyota name for this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
ADS

SavsMom

200k km is about 124k miles correct? While Toyotas are very reliable I would say it really depends on price. If I'm going to purchase anything with over 100k miles on it, the price better be right. Know what I mean?

In my opinion, that's the sweet spot for Siennas (from a saving money perspective). 2008 is the first year that stability control was standard, 2nd year of the 3.5 v6 (still being used in current Siennas).

Even the most reliable brands and models are not immune to neglect. Similarly, most vehicles can run for a very long time with proper maintenance. If there is evidence of regular oil changes, at least one coolant flush (I think that's 100k service on the Sienna) and hopefully a few transmission fluid changes then I would take the vehicle to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. If everything checks out and the vehicle is priced appropriately for its mileage then I would buy it without hesitation.

The problem is that few vehicles are properly maintained so you might just get the pre-purchase inspection and base your decision off what your mechanic says.

From my research there are some common problem areas on the 2nd generation Siennas:

1. VVT oil line. There was a replacement campaign by Toyota for a line that feeds oil to the VVT. The line wears out, bursts and drains all the engine's oil causing engine failure. You want to make sure the repair has been done or that your Toyota dealer will do it for free.

2. Power sliding doors seem to have a pretty high failure rate. They're not inexpensive to fix.

3. Leaking power steering rack is another common problem. That's something your mechanic should catch in a pre-purchase inspection.

After reading that list you might be questioning the Sienna, but compared to the motor mounts, torque converters, transmissions, and timing belts of comparable year Odysseys I think the Sienna is a good choice.

sunflower

My mechanic will check Monday morning, and he's thorough. I already asked him to check the belt/ water pump, since it's an expensive job. Will add the rest to the list.

Thank you.

The car is cheaper than other Siennas in the 2006-2010 range bec. of the mileage I guess. (But more than what I wanted to pay). The Kia Sedonas are more expensive, and there are very few around here.

sunflower

We're clueless when it comes to cars. We're picking up info from friends, and from all of you ladies! Slowly learning. Everyone is giving 1-2 tips, so we know what to ask, and what's important.

Thanks so much!

Jeni-GAcpst

My hubby has a 2006 toyota (prius) with over 346,000 KM (215,000 miles) and I have a 2003 lexus (same as toyota) SUV with over 362,000 KM (225,000 miles). Both run well and will hopefully serve us of many more years.
I totally agree with the posts above that a car well maintained is worth it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC