Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Sienna '08 mileage question

A Sienna 2008, 8 passenger with 200,000 km. Is it worth buying? It's in good condition. Do you trust the Toyota name for this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by sunflower; 05-09-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;
    10 and 8 - Booster; 5 - FF Foonf;
    3 - RF Roundabout; 5/18 - KF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

200k km is about 124k miles correct? While Toyotas are very reliable I would say it really depends on price. If I'm going to purchase anything with over 100k miles on it, the price better be right. Know what I mean?

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Re: Sienna '08 mileage question

In my opinion, that's the sweet spot for Siennas (from a saving money perspective). 2008 is the first year that stability control was standard, 2nd year of the 3.5 v6 (still being used in current Siennas).

Even the most reliable brands and models are not immune to neglect. Similarly, most vehicles can run for a very long time with proper maintenance. If there is evidence of regular oil changes, at least one coolant flush (I think that's 100k service on the Sienna) and hopefully a few transmission fluid changes then I would take the vehicle to a mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection. If everything checks out and the vehicle is priced appropriately for its mileage then I would buy it without hesitation.

The problem is that few vehicles are properly maintained so you might just get the pre-purchase inspection and base your decision off what your mechanic says.

From my research there are some common problem areas on the 2nd generation Siennas:

1. VVT oil line. There was a replacement campaign by Toyota for a line that feeds oil to the VVT. The line wears out, bursts and drains all the engine's oil causing engine failure. You want to make sure the repair has been done or that your Toyota dealer will do it for free.

2. Power sliding doors seem to have a pretty high failure rate. They're not inexpensive to fix.

3. Leaking power steering rack is another common problem. That's something your mechanic should catch in a pre-purchase inspection.

After reading that list you might be questioning the Sienna, but compared to the motor mounts, torque converters, transmissions, and timing belts of comparable year Odysseys I think the Sienna is a good choice.

My mechanic will check Monday morning, and he's thorough. I already asked him to check the belt/ water pump, since it's an expensive job. Will add the rest to the list.

Thank you.

The car is cheaper than other Siennas in the 2006-2010 range bec. of the mileage I guess. (But more than what I wanted to pay). The Kia Sedonas are more expensive, and there are very few around here.
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;

There is not a timing belt on 2007+ Siennas

We're clueless when it comes to cars. We're picking up info from friends, and from all of you ladies! Slowly learning. Everyone is giving 1-2 tips, so we know what to ask, and what's important.

Thanks so much!
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;

My hubby has a 2006 toyota (prius) with over 346,000 KM (215,000 miles) and I have a 2003 lexus (same as toyota) SUV with over 362,000 KM (225,000 miles). Both run well and will hopefully serve us of many more years.
    I totally agree with the posts above that a car well maintained is worth it.
    using iPhone app... please pardon my typos and excessive edits in attempt to correct extraneous autocorrects