Switching to no back...

smackeen

For some reason it bothers me of switching my oldest (new 8) into a no back booster to attempt a 3 across (as long as belt fit is good).

Anyone else a little freaked with the thought of switching from a high back to a no back?

ADS

melniemi

I didn't switch my boys till they were 10. My dd will be 9 in a month and is still fine with her pro booster, shooting for 10 there too. Although I now have a vehicle with side airbags so I wouldn't be as opposed to a no back.

smackeen

This would not be the everyday ride, it would be only when needed. He still fits fine in the high back, just not sure if it will fit.

Was not going to play three across at the dealership. :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I had a big collection of backless boosters that somehow never got used for my big kids in my car. My lack of curtain airbags just freaked me out too much, and I kept them in highbacks (statistics be darned, I wanted my wee ones to have as much head protection as possible....). Tried to get a new car before they got too tall, but shucks it was out of the budget. Now I'm just hoping no crashes ever happen in my old van :eek:

ncchuck

:yeahthatlove:
I had a big collection of backless boosters that somehow never got used for my big kids in my car. My lack of curtain airbags just freaked me out too much, and I kept them in highbacks (statistics be darned, I wanted my wee ones to have as much head protection as possible....). Tried to get a new car before they got too tall, but shucks it was out of the budget. Now I'm just hoping no crashes ever happen in my old van :eek:

sunnydayz

At what age, height, weight would you (collective you) feel comfortable moving to a nbb full time?

Ds is almost 9. He is 55 inches and 70 lbs. he is even with the top belt guide on his Monterey ( long torso). Should I be concerned about the switch to a nbb? He rides 3rd row in a Sienna with side airbags and an adjustable headrest.

mcomommy

My oldest moved to on at age 8, she 49" and 60lbs. We have side curtain airbags.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

skylinphoto

I promised ny 7 year old that he can go backless full time next year when he turns 8. We have side airbags.

Im not totally comfortable with it because hes so small...but all his friends are already out of boosters and having a hbb is starting to embarrass him. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

I impulse bought a nbb from NBD. There was a mistake on their part and it was an Olli that came. DD will be 8 next month, 50", 55lbs. I LOVE her fit in our captain's chairs. She just seems more comfortable sitting against the regular seat back and headrest. She absolutely loves the higher, longer armrests. I did not intend to switch her, but we have side curtain air bags and she is sitting really well in it. Now I'm trying to figure out how to switch everyone around to keep her in the 2nd row instead of a hbb in the 3rd row. It doesn't fit her or our van as well in the 3rd row.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
At what age, height, weight would you (collective you) feel comfortable moving to a nbb full time?

Ds is almost 9. He is 55 inches and 70 lbs. he is even with the top belt guide on his Monterey ( long torso). Should I be concerned about the switch to a nbb? He rides 3rd row in a Sienna with side airbags and an adjustable headrest.

Statistically there is literally no difference, for any kid, highback or backless, over age 4. That's why I was darning the statistics...here's a great blog on it... http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/
But in practical terms? Whenever they stop sleeping in the car (with the risk of sleeping on the window under the airbag, or falling completely sideways out of the shoulderbelt). In our suv with airbags on short trips, I have no problem with a backless from age 5-6.

xursusmaritimusx

I was a little freaked out but we had no other option. DD has been using a turbo in MILs car here and there since she was 4.5

MIL has a 2001? beetle and the sloped dome roof doesn't allow for her turbo in hb mode to work anymore. Too tall. so she rides backless now. Belt fit is perfect on the shoulder and lap.

DD is an excellent booster rider. Has been since day one. She doesn't sleep in the car and def not in MILs which only entails rides from school to her house or mine. 1-3 mile trips all at residential street speeds (25-35mph)

Because of that it made my decision easier as well as statistics

Morganthe

:eek: I fussed and worried about it these past months. I have side curtain airbags, a broad leather back seat, and the belts sit high.

DD was getting more cramped in her Monterey... Probably she was even with the belt guides and slouched so I couldn't see it. :rolleyes:

She really was at the top limit of the backed booster. I suppose she could still possibly fit into a Frontier 85, if I really pushed it, but I doubt it would fit with the curve side beam of the car -- it had pressed against the side wings. It was that she really wanted her 'wings' in case she fell asleep. It's only happened once in the past year, so it's not really something I worry about.

2.5 weeks ago, right before a road trip, I pulled the back off. She did fine. She likes having shoulder room again. Plus there is now space behind her which allows her to scootch back which allows more leg support & not be as upright all the time.

So now we're done futzing over the issue and it's become the norm. :shrug-shoulders:

momtoo3

Ds2 will be 8 at the end of June. Two months ago he went backless in dh's car. It has side airbags. He is asking to go backless in my van and our truck but he still fits in his Vivo and PWSG in those. Dh was taking ds2 and ds3 in the truck yesterday and as I was buckling ds3 in ds2 told me he was squished in his PWSG, I looked and his shoulders were past the belt guides..major growth spurt. Thankfully he had another click of the headrest but is now on the highest setting. Dh told me to just get him a backless (yeah, permission to buy another seat!) but I don't want to yet. The truck doesn't have side airbags and we use it only to tow our camper. Towing makes me nervous so he will stay in the PWSG until he can't...then I will buy a backless (I know I could just take the back off but that is not fun.) In my van he has one click left on the Vivo but shares it with the girl I watch and rides in a backless when she is with (they only ever ride together in the summer and days off school so he will go backless during the week and use the Vivo on the weekends for the summer. He still sleeps occasionally so he doesn't mind the Vivo for the comfy headwings but is starting to get embarrassed of the hbb because most of his friends are 8 and out of a booster. I let him go backless if a friend is riding with us. I also bought him a little pillow to use in dh's car if he needs to rest his head. He puts it up against ds3's CruiserFix and leans on it. Doing that keeps the shoulder belt in position and keeps him from leaning on the window on the other side.

NVMBR02

My kids aren't car sleepers and we have newer vehicles with headrests and side air bags. I have choosen 8 as our magic age for full time backless booster usage. We started occasional backless use at around 6.

fyrfightermomma

Evelyn went to a backless at 7. No rhyme or reason. I know, not very helpful. The same will go for Sophia. We do not have side air bags

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC