Which generation minivan, Odyssey/Sienna? and 3 carseats

Jasmine

Hi,

We want to buy a used Honda or Toyota minivan to accomodate our growing family. With baby on the way, we will soon have three kids, ages 4 (35lbs), 2.5 (also about 35 lbs!) and a newborn.

We want to get an 8-seater so we can put all three kids in the second (middle) row. We are not planning to put any kids in the back row at this point, mostly so they are in reaching distance from the front seat.

Given my lower back, newborn will need to be outboard, and we'll put our 4-yr-old in the middle. The 4-yo and 2.5-yo will both be forward facing, with the older one in the middle (she can help, rather than hit, the baby :).

All of this means that we want an 8-seat minivan with three top tethers in the second (middle) row.

I've done a bunch of research, and think I'm getting the picture, but it's confusing... Can anyone let me know if this is correct:

Toyota Sienna 8-seater: Has 3 top tethers only in second generation model (approx 2006-2010) and newest model (2011-13) does not have a top teather in the second (middle) row? Is that right?

Honda Odyssey 8-seater: Has 3 top tethers only in newest model (2011+) and second generation (approx 2006-2010) only has 2 top tethers in second (middle) row? Is that right?

So, if we want a used car, approx 2008/9, I think we're looking for a Sienna. They seem hard to come by. Any thoughts on this?

Many thanks!

ADS

Jasmine

"I do think the honda may have added a tether to the jump seat before the body change though."

Oh- thanks for this info! Does anyone have any idea when the Honda Odyssey started having a tether in the center seat of the second(middle) row? That'd be really great to know...

Does Honda know these things? Should I just call them? The dealers are clueless. Unless they have three kids under age four themselves...!

Many thanks!

CuddlyMonsters

Don't quote me on this, but I vaguely remember when we were looking at used Honda Odyssey van's that the 08-10 models have a different body style than the earlier ones...

We actually ended up getting an '11 Odyssey because of the "wide mode" feature it is a great feature if you want to do a 3 across in second row.

MommyShannon

A tech with a LATCH manual should be able to confirm, but I thought you were right that the tether wasn't added until the new body style in 2011. It has full LATCH there now. A friend has the 2011 and its crazy how much room the 2nd row has. That being said, we have a 2006 and I really like that you can slide the captains chairs together to access the 3rd row easier. In the new model you'd have to remove and store a captains chair to do that. It worked well when we had 3 and now 4 kids.

Jasmine

Thanks, MommyShannon. Question re: your minivan -

Do you have a 2006 Odyssey? Is it 7 or 8 seats? If 8 seats, can you top tether 3 carseats in the second/middle row?

Thanks so much!

MommyShannon

Thanks, MommyShannon. Question re: your minivan -

Do you have a 2006 Odyssey? Is it 7 or 8 seats? If 8 seats, can you top tether 3 carseats in the second/middle row?

Thanks so much!

Our '06 is the 7 seater but I know the 8 seater didn't have a tether there. Its a very small seat too. I told DH the other day that if we just had 3 kids, I'd be very tempted by the new model Ody so 3 could easily fit in the 2nd row. With 4 kids, I prefer the older model since I have to use the 3rd row anyhow and leave access to it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC