"Side impact rotation" feature on a booster seat

_juune

I have this iziUp fix booster seat sitting in my cupboard for when DD is bigger and older [DD's 3.5 years now]. The seat was given to me for free [it's brand new], therefore it's kinda "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" situation. It's a very, very nice seat comfort and feel-wise. The thing is -- the iziUp seat has a unique feature called "side impact rotation", meaning it's meant to rotate in case of a side impact to protect child's head; the feature only works if seat's rigid isofix connectors are in use; here is a short movie explaining it. I have to admit I haven't tried asking the manufacturer how is it supposed to work because I seriously doubt they'll spill their business secrets :D Still, I'm really curious :eek: Any ideas? Could there be downsides to the feature? The seat has no lap belt guides whatsoever to prevent misuse, I wonder how does the rotation feature goes together with this?

ADS

mlohry

No clue how the physics works, but from
their video, it sure looks like it solves the issue that we saw in all those u tube videos of different seats tested during a side impact. Cool!

thepote

Interesting. It reminds me of the car seat that a guy designed for an invention show years ago. The seat rotated in a pod to spin off the crash forces.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow. The whole brand looks so impressive nowadays :)
Anyway, very cool booster! I have no reason to see why it *wouldn't* work as intended. Wish we could get something that narrow-looking here for three across, too.

_juune

I guess my problem is that I can't visualize how the rotation would work. The whole seat is quite solid, therefore I suppose it can't be that only the top part rotates. Which means all of it rotates. It has a bit of a "base" at it's bottom where the isofix attachments are, so it either rotates on the base, or maybe one of the attachments becomes "loose" [the one on the struck side]?
Well, i hope I never have to test how well it works IRL ...

tiggercat

No armrests or lap belt guide, eh? Weird.

The rotation thing looks pretty cool!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

_juune

No armrests or lap belt guide, eh? Weird.

The rotation thing looks pretty cool!

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Yeah, "no-armrests" seems to be the trend over here recently, the [somewhat] new MaxiCosi RodiFix, too, has no armrests; and of course there's the armrest-less Britax Adventure. But those two at least have belt guides. Obviously, none of the seats is meant to be used backless.

teekadog

It looked neat to me. I found this on youtube: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQm3JlD8_PY"]BeSafe iZi Up X3 fix - the movie - YouTube[/ame]

DH saw me watching it and now he wants one LOL.

christineka

I would like the no-armrest trend to come to the US. It would be good for 3 across. I checked my daughter's original parkway. I've got till December to find a replacement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC