Tether requirements

sb518

If a tether isn't required until the child reaches 65lbs, is that because the seat won't pass without it? Is tethering the same seat for a 35lb kiddo still significantly beneficial?

I just ask because I ordered a Frontier 90 for DD who is ~31lbs. It's going to be uninstalled/reinstalled in another car quite a bit during the summer. I was going to put her in a booster as a spare as I couldn't fathom continually uninstalling/reinstalling her seat in the heat (which significantly disables me)

So anyway, then this brilliant seat came out and solved my problems!!! Just wondering if it I need to tether the seat every single time, or is it not a big deal for a smaller child who is just riding a few blocks? I will attach it if I have the energy to do it, simply because its habit. But in the case I can't. It's not going to be a huge risk factor is it?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would do it whenever possible, but at a higher weight you have more force which leads to higher excursion. And, a heavier child is usually taller, leading to more torque. A smaller, lighter child, THEORETICALLY, is not at as much risk for excessive head excursion when a tether is not available. When accessible, I would ALWAYS use it, if it's not accessible, for a few blocks I might not sweat it with a child that size. At her age it's way safer than a booster with or without tether, but a tether is always safER.

I do feel better with a seat with the SafeCell untethered than one without. I've seen their crash test videos and they are impressive.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
the 65# thing is because the car seat standards cover kids up to 65#. The standards prohibit making a tether mandatory and have to allow for tetherless installation. At 65#, the standard no longer applies, so they can make it mandatory.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
^^ To clarify, they are both correct. Part of it is the "standards" which don't apply above 65 lbs, and part of it is the fact that the heavier the child is, the more important the tether becomes.

I would also make a serious effort to tether whenever a tether anchor is available. At the same time, I'd be comfortable with a 35 lb child using the seat if no tether anchor is available, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
^^ To clarify, they are both correct. Part of it is the "standards" which don't apply above 65 lbs, and part of it is the fact that the heavier the child is, the more important the tether becomes.:)

I was explaining why the tether is optional at lower weights, not commenting on the level of importance at any weight. Tether use at all weights is equally important, to the point where even babies as young as 6 months have remarkably high survival rates in ffing seats as long as they are tethered. (See Australia stats) Chances of head contact do increase as the size of the child increases, but serious head injury occurs even without head contact, and the younger the child (and presumably this means smaller also) the greater the chance of serious head injury without contact-due to skeletal maturity.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
In no way do I mean to imply that it's unimportant for smaller children. :) I was just pointing out that there were two different answers to the question, and both answers are valid.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC