Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

5 in a 2002 Suburban, need tips

Hi all,

Well, I finally don't have a space problem, but we are adopting a little boy with Down syndrome in a couple months, he's 3, but I'd like him rf. the trouble is, all of my money has gone to the adoption, and I can't afford to buy him a new seat. We have our 5 yr old daughter in a sunshine kids radian xtsl that is pink, but should work for him. Here's the problem, sorry for the rambling, the suburban has 2 shoulder belts in each row, and only one anchor for ff in each row.

So my current setup is:

Middle row:
    RF 2 yr old in sunshine kids radian drivers side
    FF 3 yr old in britax frontier middle
    Passenger side Seat is currently down so the other kids can get in the back row.

Back row:
    FF 5 yr old in sunshine kids radian drivers side
    Middle seat is empty
    8 yr old in graco high back booster passenger side

Was thinking of moving the FF 3 yr old to the back row middle and putting the 5 yr old in a high back booster. There's only one anchor, so there can't be two carseats next to each other, even if I didn't need to steal her seat.

Then I would RF the new son and the 2 yr old in The Radians

So new setup would be

RF radian, RF radian, empty
    Booster, frontier, booster

Wdyt?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Tether anchors- are you sure about the number? I don't have my LATCH manual in front of me, but my aunt's 2001 Suburban has 3 TAs for each middle row seat and 1 TA back row center. They look like flat, metal rings at the back bottoms of each seat.

I'm also not sure you'd be able to fit 2 HBBs plus a Frontier in the 3rd row. Have you tried putting the FR there with the Turbo next to it?
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

Re: 5 in a 2002 Suburban, need tips

No, I haven't tried the frontier next to the booster. We have it next to the radian now and it's fine, so I thought it'd be ok.

Unsure on the anchors. We just got the car and I couldn't find them when installing, except 1 for each row.

Thanks!