Just realized DD probably has to go FF in her RN

jessi f

I just did a search on the new LATCH limits (confusing!!!). Unless I'm reading it wrong I need to switch DD's XTSL over to a seatbelt install because she's 42lbs now. But I cant do that in our Mazda5 because she accidentally kicks the buckle and unbuckles her seat. It's not a huge deal, she's three years eight months and has already had to turn FF in all her other seats because they had 40lb RF limits. But I thought I would be able to keep her RF until four in our main car with her radian. Not much point to this I guess, just whining... DD will be happy, she doesn't complain in the radian but every time she rides in one of her FF seats she goes on and on about how much she likes it :rolleyes::p

ADS

jessi f

You could always use the plastic cup trick. I'd totally be ok ff here tho!

I didn't even think about that! I don't know if I would trust it though, she gets wound up playing with her brother and it's not very hard to unbuckle the belts in our car at all. And not to make her sound like a stinker but I wouldn't put it past her to do it on purpose now that she knows she can ;) It really scared me when it came undone before (we were on an awful road) and I feel like I would be distracted worrying about it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Can you not flip the female end of the buckle 1/2 turn to make the button inaccessible?

babyherder

If the latch was safe yesterday according to the old rules I might just say is still safe tomorrow. And still safe 4 months from now when your dd turns 4. Assuming she doesn't gain enough weight to go over the old latch limit.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Actually, Mazda does not specify a weight limit for the lower anchors. So the "new rules" don't matter anyway.

The new rules only apply to new child restraints manufactured after January 2014 unless either the child restraint manufacturer or the vehicle manufacturer specify otherwise.

So if your Mazda was made after Sept. 2005, you can use LATCH as long as you like. If before Sept. 2005, then you can use it until your child weighs 48 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC