Frontier 90 in a Volvo

MAJ

We previously had trouble getting our FR 85 installed in our Volvo... it always seemed like the car seat would slip forward on the leather (with LATCH and seatbelt install), never really tight enough. I'm wondering if the Frontier 90, with the new Click Tight, would maybe help with that? Any input would be appreciated!

ADS

kwwhite709

I have the 90 installed solid tight on a leather seat using the seatbelt. I always thought the 85 was a pain to install and hated having to move it.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I'm not sure if the Frontier 90 would work (I want one, but I don't think I could justify buying one at this point when we have 3 Frontier 85s!), but I did want to mention that I've done my Frontier 85s with the long belt path in a 2004 S80 and a 2010 XC60 (both with leather seats), so there may be some hope for the Frontier 85 in a Volvo. I can hunt down some videos that were helpful to me when installing if you still have the Frontier 85 and were looking to try again in your Volvo. :)

AK Dad

I'm not sure if the Frontier 90 would work (I want one, but I don't think I could justify buying one at this point when we have 3 Frontier 85s!), but I did want to mention that I've done my Frontier 85s with the long belt path in a 2004 S80 and a 2010 XC60 (both with leather seats), so there may be some hope for the Frontier 85 in a Volvo. I can hunt down some videos that were helpful to me when installing if you still have the Frontier 85 and were looking to try again in your Volvo. :)

^ I second that! The LBP install of the FR85 is a thing of beauty once you master it! I actually prefer it to the SBP install even if it's not strictly necessary because it makes such a nice solid installation. On the other hand, it does take some practice, and even when you're good at it still takes some time.
One trick I use is taking a spring clamp and pulling the belt completely out of the retractor, then putting the clamp temporarily on the belt. That way you have all the slack available to play with and don't have to fight the retractor as you route the belt. Happy installing!

MotoMommaNH

^ I second that! The LBP install of the FR85 is a thing of beauty once you master it! I actually prefer it to the SBP install even if it's not strictly necessary because it makes such a nice solid installation. On the other hand, it does take some practice, and even when you're good at it still takes some time.
One trick I use is taking a spring clamp and pulling the belt completely out of the retractor, then putting the clamp temporarily on the belt. That way you have all the slack available to play with and don't have to fight the retractor as you route the belt. Happy installing!

Omg...a spring clamp. Genius!! :cool!:Why did I not think of that ??

MAJ

Thank you for the replies! The only time we've gotten a good install was with the LBP. We had to take it out once, and then we never got it back in to our satisfaction. (We're using a different seat now.) I was fine not using the Frontier, but seeing the 90 piqued my interest... partly for the features, but also because I love some of the patterns! ;)

scariestone

Obviously it depends on which volvo but in our 95 with lovely non-locking belts ad leather seats LBP took up every CM of belt so I didn't even need to use a locking clip. I seriously wanted to take a sledgehammer to that car it was so hard to install seats in. People complain about subarus and car seats but comparatively my forester is a breeze. :cool:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I use EXACTLY that same clamp for the LBP! In fact, I keep one in my tech kit now. Britax should have sent them out with their FR85s. Oh well. Too late for that now. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC