Question Radian or something else, and seat arrangements?

U

Unregistered

Hello, all! I haven't been reading in a while, so forgive me if this is a repeat. My 6-year old is FF in the center of a 2005 Santa Fe, but we're expecting another baby soon and I need to figure out a second seat and placement in an Odyssey.

We currently have a Marathon, Boulevard, and SK Radian XL (the Britaxes are mainly back-up seats for grandparent's/friend's cars). I would like something that we can use FF for a couple more years (for the 6 year old who barely weighs 40 lbs now), then as a booster for her for a couple years, then possibly an extended RF for the baby. The 6-year old RF'd until she turned 4 and 35 lbs (before I bought the Radian), and I'm expecting to do at least that long for the baby.

In the Santa Fe, the baby will be outboard driver's side in a KeyFit (probably move to RF in the Boulevard later this year) and the older one will be FF in the Radian in the center. We just bought a 2007 Odyssey with the bonus 8th seat, so I'm trying to figure out the best seat placement in there. Could I keep the same arrangement as the Santa Fe, or should I not put a car seat in the center in the Odyssey? The owner's manual says that child seats can go in any of the rear passenger seats, including the removable center, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

I'm looking at the Diono Radian (I know it's a pain to install sometimes but my Sunshine Kids Radian is an awesome seat when I don't have to move it!). What else would you suggest? It needs to fit in both a Santa Fe and Odyssey. Thanks a bunch for your thoughts!

ADS

Stelvis

There's no way I'd buy a Radian for a 6 year old who is FF. It will be useless as a booster because the booster function is not adjustable and you can't use it until 50 lbs. I'd get a good FF combination seat like the Evenflo Sureride or Graco Nautilus.

If you search, there's a whole thread about successful installs in the plus one seat of the 2010 and older Odyssey.

CMeMeC

I agree, I would go with a combination seat for her like the nautilus or frontier. With a radian, you would be paying for features that you don't need right now and your current needs are still lacking- you want it to rf later, but in the meantime, it doesn't make a good booster. As for placement in the odyssey, if you don't need to access the third row daily, I would put them both outboard. If you do need daily access to the third row, I would remove the center seat and move the outboard seat towards the center leaving an "aisle" on the side.

nannykates

I would get a frontier (85 or 90). The nautilus and secure kid are choices too I just like the frontier better ;). I agree the radian isn't going to really help you out. After the keyfit is outgrown you have two britax seats you can use then when those are outgrown rf flip one ff and put the radian rf in the main car. By then your 6 yo will probably be booster ready.

mom of six

I would like something that we can use FF for a couple more years (for the 6 year old who barely weighs 40 lbs now), then as a booster for her for a couple years, then possibly an extended RF for the baby.

Are you wanting to buy one seat or two? Is your current Radian close to expiring?

I agree with the others that you should get a harness-to-booster such as a Frontier 85/90, Nautilus, Evenflo SecureKid 300/400, Harmony Defender, or Recaro ProSport for the 6 YO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC