A few Frontier 90 questions

mrosehughes

Hi all,

I'm looking through the manual for my frontier 90, and for the life of me I can't find the info about when the harness is outgrown. I assume that certain headrest positions are for booster-mode only, but the only things I'm seeing in the manual about outgrowing are harness straps above shoulders, ears within headrest (maybe it's ears below back shell not headrest shell?), and 58" height restriction. Am I missing something here?

Also, regarding the buckle, it says to use the furthest one back that is not under the child. I'm assuming this means it can tilt forward to the child a bit as long as you're not digging under their bum for the bottom of the buckle strap.

Finally, anyone else notice the empty 'aircraft' section of the manual? :p

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nope, all positions are ok for harness use, and ears within headrest, and shoulders under top slots. Kids will outgrow the booster just a few inches after the harness on this one.

Correct on the buckle.

The aircraft section must have been from when they were deciding if they could get it to work with aircraft.

Athena

So when it's raised all the way up, it's really just .5" higher than raising the 85 all the way up without removing the screw? (20.5 vs. 20" ... for some reason it looked higher) And the booster doesn't go any higher than that?

So, if I switch to the 90, I'd have some great new features for now, but I might really regret losing that booster height later. :(

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So when it's raised all the way up, it's really just .5" higher than raising the 85 all the way up without removing the screw? (20.5 vs. 20" ... for some reason it looked higher) And the booster doesn't go any higher than that?

So, if I switch to the 90, I'd have some great new features for now, but I might really regret losing that booster height later. :(

Correct, but it's still pretty tall for a booster. The Frontier 80 and 85 were extremely tall;-)

Also: http://carseatblog.com/21567/britax...-review-features-and-clicktight-installation/

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

I'm keeping my 85 as a spare in case we need to fly with it or for booster use.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I should clarify. In the top harness position, the top slots of the Frontier 90 are about one-half inch taller than the Frontier 85. The overall height of the Frontier 90 is about 2" taller in the top harness setting, because the head restraint section above the top harness slots is taller.

Then, as you know, the Frontier 85 has a separate head restraint adjustment for booster mode only that raises it even taller.

Athena

I was just watching the review videos. Cute kid! So my DD will be able to install her own seat next year. Cool. :p

Are the internal seat heights the same? ... as in the measurement from bottom to seat .. or another way to calculate would be outside booster belt guide height minus inside booster belt guide height (Sorry if this was posted somewhere else.) So are they seated down as low? I feel like lower is better in a crash and was concerned that adding the safe cell, a feature I like the idea of, might have required raising the seat height. Thanks! I hope I'm not totally hijacking this thread and that my questions are also helpful to OP.

Athena

I'm keeping my 85 as a spare in case we need to fly with it or for booster use.

I wasn't going to upgrade all 3, so I would have at least one 85 left. Hopefully that would be enough.

P.S. I want to give more thanks, but I've run out. :(

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Am I correct to say you are wondering if the SafeCell feature lifts up the seating platform higher? I will have to check this. But, even if it does raise it slightly, the concept is that it crushes in a crash and tends to reduce head excursion by altering the dynamics of the child's rotation.

mrosehughes

Nope, all positions are ok for harness use, and ears within headrest, and shoulders under top slots. Kids will outgrow the booster just a few inches after the harness on this one.

Correct on the buckle.

The aircraft section must have been from when they were deciding if they could get it to work with aircraft.

In that case, holy cow this is a tall harness!

(DS is 3.5 and wears a size 5. He has at least 4" of harness space left above his shoulders. Also, I'm 99% sure I'll have to move the seat outboard in my Prius to use it to its full height.)

image-1914500793.jpg

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Zebra is very sharp. I do like the soft black trim on the Onyx, though. Zebra will stand out a lot more in all the review autos I test drive, plus it will match since most seem to have black or gray interiors. I hope to grab some more photos if it warms up and stops raining this weekend.

featherhead

So no more LBP? That's too bad as the FrontierXT is basically the only thing that truly gives an acceptable install in the back of my van. The buckles are quite a bit forward of the bight, plus the belt stalks are long.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So no more LBP? That's too bad as the FrontierXT is basically the only thing that truly gives an acceptable install in the back of my van. The buckles are quite a bit forward of the bight, plus the belt stalks are long.

Correct, no long belt path.

I am very interested in someone with long, forward mounted buckle stalks commenting on the fit of the ClickTight system. If someone in the Chicago area has such a vehicle, I'd be happy to test it!

What kind of vehicle do you have? Freestar?

mommytosavy

I have a quick question regarding the manual. It says to check your seat belts in how they lock. I know my middle seat belt retracts but the outboard does not but I was thinking that with the Click Tight would keep it tight so the seat belts wouldn't have to retract? My DD is riding in a TFP and is in the second to top notch so she has a ways to go but I thinking in getting of getting the britax Pinnacle 90 someday in the sort of near future. Also when I moved the TFP to the outboard I had to take off the headrest but since the bars stay attached I flipped head rest around and the tether keeps it from falling off. Because I am unable to remove the head rest will this cause the new Britax car seat to sit too forward? I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

featherhead

I am very interested in someone with long, forward mounted buckle stalks commenting on the fit of the ClickTight system. If someone in the Chicago area has such a vehicle, I'd be happy to test it!

I have a '98 Odyssey.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sounds like you might have lightweight locking latchplates, so the locking mechanism in your seatbelt isn't up in the shoulder belt retractor, but instead on the sliding portion. Sometimes they don't cinch as they should.

Fortunately, the ClickTight system does serve as a belt lockoff. If I understand your question correctly, then theoretically, it should serve the function you need, but it's impossible for me to say for sure without knowing the specifics of your seatbelts.

What page and portion of the Britax manual are you reading?

Jessica61624

Test it in a 06-10 sonata.

mommytosavy

Manual:
Check that your vehicle has a seat belt that can be locked.
* Check your vehicle owner’s manual to determine what
type of vehicle belt you have and how it can be locked
for use with child seats.

I am unsure what this means I guess...so not all seatbelts can locked?? When in booster mode do you retract the seatbelt so it locks the child in or do you leave it so there is slack (like the front seatbelts are loose until you stop quickly and it catches) Sorry if this isn't making sense or crazy question. My DD is 3.5yo so I plan to keep her in the TFP for awhile longer but the new Click Tight looks awesome and the way I think my seatbelts are I need to have lockoffs.

Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC