Another great reason not to ERF

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
<insert eyeroll here> :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So, my DH and dad come home today (they work together and seem to share one mind ;)) and decided that "it's not good for [DD] to be facing backwards". Well, my dad's been saying that, but now apparently he's serious. Her legs are squished, she can't see him, all the usual reasons, and then this one:

"Facing backwards like that makes kids get motion sickness when they finally turn them around"

Apparently, this is also why so many kids throw up in the car...

Now, here's the thing: DH has to pick up DD 2-3 days a week when I work. Now I'm totally afraid he'll put her FFing (in his crappy truck, that I've spent so long looking and finally finding a seat to fit RFing in :mad:)

Anyway, I was :rolleyes: at that one (also, please note, DD has NEVER gotten sick in a car. I have no idea how they decided this one)

ADS

MomToEliEm

My first DD started getting motion sickness when she turned forward facing, yet my second daughter has yet to throw up when forward facing. I get horrible motion sickness in the car, boat and plane yet I now I wasn't kept rearfacing for long when I was a child (did they even have rearfacing seats back in the early 70's).

I think his theory is flawed. Kids will get sick regardless of how they were kept in their carseats. It is just part of their genes. Some kids get sick while others do not.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Well if she's going to get car sick when you turn her ffing, you might at well wait til she's old enough to aim for the barf bucket.

Kimberly

PS. extended exposure to idiotic thinking also makes one feel rather nauseous.

CRS

Senior Community Member
I've said this before and I will say it again, I would honestly tell them to shut up and my baby/toddler WILL be rear-facing BECAUSE I SAY SO. My Husband knows better then to cross me and turn the kids forward-facing. Given he doesn't really give a hoot and at least it stops the eldest from kicking him in the head while he's driving. Even still, he'd do as I wished cause he knows I would kick his A#S!

ZephyrBlue

Well if she's going to get car sick when you turn her ffing, you might at well wait til she's old enough to aim for the barf bucket.

Kimberly

PS. extended exposure to idiotic thinking also makes one feel rather nauseous

:ROTFLMAO:

I don't know why, but that made me crack up.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Quick, go get him a Scenera and show him the minimum FF requirements so he doesn't even TRY it!

Ugh, man, they will come up with every reason...sigh...

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
If she was heavier I wouldn't be quite as worried but I saw that she is barely 20 lbs!!! Ugh:whistle:

Yeah and SHORT: she's all of MAYBE 31" now, and more leg than anything - bottom slots of the Marathon and 2nd to bottom slots of the Radian and Scenera.

Slight update: I emailed my dad links to lots of ERF info (including the ERF photo gallery). Now I think he gets it, as the only thing he found 'ridiculous' was the picture of the boy on cpsafety's ERF page (that he was just ridiculously too big :rolleyes:) So now I guess he doesn't mind it as much... we'll see how long it lasts.

Mama!

Oh yeah. Except my dd puked in the car and screamed until we turned her around. It was gross.

kaylee18

Oh yeah. Except my dd puked in the car and screamed until we turned her around. It was gross.

How long did she RF? Just out of curiosity. I see you have your son ERFing and your dd is over the max weight limit to RF at present. Were there any strategies you found helpful to reduce her discomfort rear-facing? Your BTDT suggestions might be helpful for anyone else with a similar problem.

[I wrote this reply thinking you might have just turned her and she might still be under 35lbs]:
How old is your daughter, and how much does she weigh? Young children especially are at much higher injury risk if they face the rear. If you can give some more information, we may be able to make helpful suggestions about how to help your daughter be happy rear-facing (comfy seat, recline level, being able to see out the back of the car, etc.). Forward facing is a huge demotion in safety level.

Mama!

:lol

She threw up and screamed until I turned her FF. Then she was fine and hasnt puked in the car since. Apparently riding backwards really tripped up her balance and made her sick.

This was back in the days when I had no internet or info on carseats. I turned her around when she hit a year old :eek:. Thank goodness I'm a bit more edjumacated now ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC