RA55 or CA

mburks26

What would last longer rf only
according to the limits the CA has 40lb and 40inch height limit and
the RA 55 has 40lb and 46 inch limit
so to me that would be RA55

Im only looking at rf length at this time I so want a Fr 90 for ff

DH likes the CA but I really need a seat with lock offs for inlaws in case the DD1 booster and DD2 dont fit beside each other now its tight with dd2 onboard

My min for rf is 3 only because dd1 was 38 lbs and 38 inches at 3 and dd2 has been just about the same stats so far for almost 8 months.

ADS

abigaylebelle

Well I'm sure it depends a lot on where a child carries his/her height. My kid has a short torso relative to his height and he outgrew the ra55 rearfacing around 41-42 inches. He was pretty old though, over 5 for sure so I didn't sweat it down the last inch.

If I were going to be moving a seat around to other people's cars regularly I would much rather use the britax fwiw.

MotoMommaNH

I honestly can't imagine the RA55 actually going to 46" RF'ing. That's the overall height limit for the seat; remember the actual RF'ing limit is top of the head 1" below the shell. So unless your kiddos have short torsos and long legs, it'd be outgrown going by DD1's stats.

My DS outgrew the MA 65 RF'ing around 2.5 when he was 36" tall...but he DOES have a long torso.

I hope that helps in some way!

I don't know much about the CA; maybe someone else can chime in.

mburks26

I honestly can't imagine the RA55 actually going to 46" RF'ing. That's the overall height limit for the seat; remember the actual RF'ing limit is top of the head 1" below the shell. So unless your kiddos have short torsos and long legs, it'd be outgrown going by DD1's stats.

My DS outgrew the MA 65 RF'ing around 2.5 when he was 36" tall...but he DOES have a long torso.

I hope that helps in some way!

I don't know much about the CA; maybe someone else can chime in.

dd1 torso at 3 was 14 inches maybe a little below

MotoMommaNH

dd1 torso at 3 was 14 inches maybe a little below

It might work; the RA55 seated shoulder height is 15.75 inches, but that's overall height also. You have to account for head room too. As long as they have that 1" of shell...
I honestly don't remember what DS' torso measurements were at the time he outgrew it.:eek:

S

SoCalCarSeatMama

My middle son would have outgrown a 40" limit seat rear facing before the RA55. He was 3y8m and around 42" with a 14" torso...can't remember his seated height off the top of my head when he outgrew the RA55. I have found that the RA55 and all of the new gen Britax seats are outgrown rear facing when the child is wearing a 4T top. For a few a little sooner if they have a long neck or larger head. This same kids went on to outgrown the Radian rear facing two months later so you just never know when those growth spurts will hit, lol.

image-1464837582.jpg

Last edited:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My daughter carries her height in her torso. She is 38" tall, and if she isn't too tall for the RA55 yet, she will be soon (I haven't tried her lately; I'm making a guess based on her head being over the top of the shell in the Scenera). She has lots of room over her head in the CA.

She'll hit 40 lbs about the time she hits 40" anyway, so even if she's short enough to ride in the RA55, it wouldn't matter. She'll be too heavy for both at the same time (she's 38 lbs now).

Stelvis

My kids would outgrow the RA55 well before 40". Like 36" to outgrow the Britax convertibles RF. So in our case a CA would mean about an extra year of RF.

MommyShannon

Why do you need lock offs? I've never had trouble installing the CA with just using the seatbelt locked by pulling it out all the way.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Why do you need lock offs? I've never had trouble installing the CA with just using the seatbelt locked by pulling it out all the way.

I *think* her inlaws car is older than 97 and only the center belt is a manual locking lap belt, ELR outboard lap/shoulderbelts.

mburks26

Thanks In laws car is 93 towncar and our 94 honda civic so no outboard locking belts just ELRs

Why does this have to be so hard lol
This is our last child and every option I have wanted to do seems like it wont work. I wanted to do a Truefit but 35 lb limit rf wasnt going to cut it

abigaylebelle

Thanks In laws car is 93 towncar and our 94 honda civic so no outboard locking belts just ELRs

Why does this have to be so hard lol
This is our last child and every option I have wanted to do seems like it wont work. I wanted to do a Truefit but 35 lb limit rf wasnt going to cut it

Is baby long bodied at this point? If not I would get the ra55 or any other britax convertible and rear face as long as it will take you and reevaluate then. I would want the lockoffs for sure.

MommyShannon

I agree that the Britax seats last well unless the child has a long torso. What about the NextFit? It has lock offs, is taller, and 40lbs rf. It costs more though and the Britax should last long enough.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC