Plane/taxi/rental car carseat, 2.5 yr old

cwyn

Our daughter has outgrown her Combi Coccoro carseat (just over 30 lbs and a bit over 3ft tall), and we need to buy a new one for an upcoming trip. We don’t own a car, so we only need it for planes, taxis (mostly in New York City), and rental cars. We have no way of testing any single car seat in a given car before we buy it. I’ve been thinking about the Diono Radian because it will allow her to continue to RF for so long, and because it is foldable and narrow (I almost bought it instead of the Combi, but since I had to travel with her myself and needed to be able to carry things, I opted for the lighter carseat last year even though I knew we’d only get a year’s use out of it…).

I just wanted to get advice about whether this is our best bet for our situation, or if anyone thinks a different carseat might work better for us? I just want her to be safe, but if I can’t get a safe or correct install with this seat in a taxi or a rental (where I don’t have an alternative if I can't get it installed well), it won’t be safe, even if the carseat is supposed to be great. (I had this problem a number of times with the Combi – I could not get it “correctly” installed in a whole bunch of taxis and rental cars, which is really stressful when you don't have an alternative and just have to put your child in the seat anyway - I ended up having to put the seat belt in a different place than the directions instruct in order to get an install where the seat didn't move more than 1", and I was never comfortable with that. I once had to go through multiple taxis in Berlin - paying each of them for their time - until I got one where I could get a decent install.)

So, if anyone can confirm whether the Radian is my best choice, or whether something else might be better, I would appreciate it.

And any tips for getting a good install under pressure in a variety of different cars where you don't have a choice of vehicle would also be welcome!

Thanks so much for your time!

ADS

creideamh

I'd be really hesitant to get a Radian if you've encountered those issues with installing the Coccoro. Plus, the Radian has the rear-facing base you'll have to drag around as well as the angle adjuster.

I would go with an Evenflo SureRide. It's very easy and fast to install, extremely lightweight, and a tall shell to last RF (though it does have a 40" RF height max.) The Guide 65 is an option as well, though I've found the SR to be a MUCH easier install and DD finds it more comfortable.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Depending on your budget, I'd suggest possible considering the Orbit toddler seat. The base is super easy to install and lets you keep your child in the seat while you do so since she is still young enough to run off, but big enough to be in the way if you try to get her to sit next to you while you install. It has a stroller that it connects to, so that is a bonus. The downsides are it only goes to 35# rfing and you can't use the base ffing, oh, and the price. It's way expensive.

cwyn

Thanks, creideamh and safeinthecar, for your recommendations. I'm looking at the seats you recommended, and they look fairly wide - have either of you used them in a plane (or a small-ish car)?

I definitely would like ease of install in a variety of situations so that I can be sure that I have a safe install in taxis and rental cars - it sounds like you are both saying that the Radian will be difficult to install in different cars (in addition to being a pain to lug around)?

I realized also that I didn't put in my daughter's current measurements - she is right now about 30 lbs and something like 37" tall (she doesn't hold still long enough to measure exactly!) - so she is tall and skinny for her age (but seems to luckily carry much of her height in her legs). So I don't know if that makes a difference in what car seats anyone might recommend.

Thanks again for your advice!

cwyn

I guess that I should also add that we will be doing this every year for the foreseeable future, so if this could be the last car seat we have to buy (i.e. we'll have the same rental car/plane/taxi issues as she grows), I'd be happy about that, too (we've bought one new car seat per year so far, which is crazy considering we don't even own a car!)...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If she is rarely in the car I might, at 2, consider a long lasting lightweight forward facing only option such as the Evenflo Maestro.

I'd also consider the SureRide because it is also light, cheap, and tall (and you could even rear face in that one.)

I'd get a wheeled luggage cart to strap the seat to or a backpack carry bag, or both, depending on your needs.

cwyn

jubgulia, thanks for the response - do you have a particular model Britax in mind? We had a Britax Chaperone when she was a newborn, and that was really easy to install, but again it was a totally different type of seat...

ketchupqueen, thanks for your recommendations - I don't want to FF her yet if at all possible. She doesn't ride in the car normally, but for about a month or two every year she is in the car a lot, when we travel, and I really don't want to turn her FF until we absolutely have to.

I'm not so worried about the hassle of having to lug a seat onto the plane (it's going to be a pain no matter what we have, and we already have a wheeled cart for the carseat) - it's more that I need for the seat to fit on the plane. I don't mind FF her on the plane if I really have to, but I absolutely don't want to FF her in the car until she is bigger.

(Also, I realized I didn't say this explicitly either - cars in Europe sometimes don't have locking seatbelts, so the carseat we buy needs to be able to be correctly installed with non-locking seatbelts, either as is, or with some sort of approved accessory...)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
All these car seats come with a locking clip. :) In fact, most seats do, unless they have built in kickoffs, and the ones that don't you can call the company and get one sent or buy one in a store.

All these seats will fit on airplanes, too. Again, most seats will.

creideamh

The SureRide will fit on the plane FF. Not sure about RF, though it is technically FAA-approved. You'll just have to lift up the armrests (so no bulkhead rows.) It comes with a locking clip. It also has very high top harness slots, so it'll likely be the last seat you'll need before a booster (assuming your DD doesn't have a monster torso, which it sounds like she does not.)
Yes, I do mean the Radian is difficult to install in various cars. It works great and some, but not in others. Therefore, it would not be anywhere on my list of seats to consider if I didn't know what car I was using.
The SureRide is available at most Targets if you want to check it out. :)

jubgulia

I have never owned a Britax seat myself, but I always hear that the convertibles are a breeze to install and they have lockoffs so you don't have to use a locking clip (which takes a lot longer to install in my experience). Anyone with a Britax want to chime in?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Their biggest problem is that they will be outgrown way earlier. Definitely NOT the last harnessed seat the OP would ever have to buy.

cwyn

Thanks so much for all your advice, everyone. It sounds like the sureride is probably our best bet, but I just want to be sure. Can I be sure that this will likely fit RF even in smaller compact cars (we have no control over taxi sizes, and DH and I are both 6'2" tall, so we have to be able to put seats back enough in the rental car to drive and get in and out - rental car is medium size sedan by EU standards, but that can be pretty small by US standards)?

And some of the plane rides will be smaller planes - has anyone had trouble lifting the armrests in a smaller plane (we won't be in bulkhead)? I feel like I have encountered this issue in a plane before, but I can't remember where or when...

Thanks again for all your help!

cwyn

And one other question I forgot - do I need a new locking clip for a new car seat, or can I use the one from my CCO? If I will need to call the manufacturer to order one, I will want to do it now, since we travel in two weeks...

Thanks again for all your help, everyone!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Actually, the Coccoro's is a different style, they call it a lockoff, and is not currently approved by other manufacturers. When you buy a seat it will come with one though (with very few exceptions) and there is almost always a spot on the shell to store it too. It will be an H-style clip, which you can learn about using at this page (as well as in your manual): http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Actually, the Coccoro's is a different style, they call it a lockoff, and is not currently approved by other manufacturers. When you buy a seat it will come with one though (with very few exceptions) and there is almost always a spot on the shell to store it too. It will be an H-style clip, which you can learn about using at this page (as well as in your manual): http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

Oh! Oops! I didn't think about the different one on the CCO. :doh: I was thinking "H clip" and forgetting that the CCO has a different one. :doh:

CarolynS

We are using our new Radian RXT a lot on a trip to Turkey. Installing has been a breeze - a lot easier with her out of it if you need to feed the belt through or the latch systems back through - but I have installed it on 8 flights in the last two weeks, multiple taxis and vans with absolutely no problems.

We have a Britax travel cart that we use which makes rolling her through the airport simple right to our seats in the airplane. (Used to have a Britax but it got damaged by checking it under many planes)...

Yes it is heavy but the ony lifting occurs from the aisle to the seat and roadside to taxi.. So not a big deal... Still lighter than the child!

The Radian is great on planes as it allows the tray to come down - great for meals and activities. It is narrow enough for the arm rests to both be down should you wish...

Only thing we notice is less of a recline in the forward facing position (which we use on planes) than the Britax - so when she naps in the seat and we are up in the air, we often loosen it about and tilt back again so that her head doesn't fall forwards...

Obviously I'm a fan and pleased with our purchase!

cwyn

Thanks for the reply, CarolynS. So you were installing the radian RF in taxis and cars? (So you carried around the boot - did you also use the angle adjuster?) Did you use the seatbelt for the RF installations?

Anyone else have any experience with the Sureride RF in more compact cars? (My sense was that the radian it could be done with the angle adjuster, but I'm not sure about the Sureride? I can't find exact specs on how much space the radian RF with angle adjuster might take up compared to the 38" that the Sureride is supposed to take up.)

Thanks again everyone for your feedback.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC