Question Program seats

Sunshine112

I'm so furious at my Ex. He has an EXPIRED CrappySport in his truck for his gf's son and he has to have our DD in there sometimes when he has her. He already knows I refuse to let her ride with him until there's an appropriate seat for her. She is 3 and I have sent him a list of EVERY convertible and combo seat he could choose from. He told me there's a $29 seat at Walmart that he's going to buy since it is harnessed to booster. I'm about to cry. He's so stubborn. I can just afford to buy a seat to put in there or I would. What seat do you use for program FF seats? Maybe those will be cheap enough that one of us could buy it

ADS

henrietta

I'm so furious at my Ex. He has an EXPIRED CrappySport in his truck for his gf's son and he has to have our DD in there sometimes when he has her. He already knows I refuse to let her ride with him until there's an appropriate seat for her. She is 3 and I have sent him a list of EVERY convertible and combo seat he could choose from. He told me there's a $29 seat at Walmart that he's going to buy since it is harnessed to booster. I'm about to cry. He's so stubborn. I can just afford to buy a seat to put in there or I would. What seat do you use for program FF seats? Maybe those will be cheap enough that one of us could buy it

I can't think of any combo seats that are only $29 at Walmart...the Evenflo Big Kid sport high back booster is $29...all the combos are $49 or more. I also can't imagine any 3 yr old actually fitting in the Comfort Sport by height, but some kids do have really short torsos and really long legs.

What does she use in your car? How tall is she and how heavy? How close to 4 yrs old is she?

It's possible a program in your area would let you have a seat, even for his car. OR if you're willing, you could install YOUR seat in his car in exchange for the expired seat and then trade that in at a program for a new seat and use it in your car.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this with him.

henrietta

Adding to my reply...

The Cosco brand cheap combo seat is usually $39-49 at Walmart. It's top slots are actually *shorter* than the same price Cosco Scenera convertible seat, and it makes a terrible booster. I'd rather see her in the Scenera if she still fits it, for as long as it would last her, and then get moved into a Graco Turbo or Evenflo Amp/BK Sport high back than bother w/the Cosco combo seat.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-High-Back-Booster-Car-Seat-Canteen/17510886

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Car-Seat-Broadway-Dots/19514409

Right now, this Evenflo Maestro is on sale for $65. It goes to 50 lbs harnessed, and it's top slots are really tall:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Maestro-Booster-Car-Seat-Wesley/21670279

For $55 right now, the top slots on this one are the same BUT it only goes to 40 lbs. The Maestro is worth $10 more if she is already 35 lbs or more:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Chase-LX-Booster-Car-Seat-Laguna/21670278

hths

Sunshine112

I tried to talk him into a maestro. I think I'll end up giving him the one I have for her in my moms car. She is definitely too tall to be in the comfortsport! She is 3y5months. 37" and 33lbs. She's RF in MA70 in my car. She has a Nautilus in his main vehicle and one in my BF's car.
Ex used to be so good about car seat usage, now it's like he doesn't care. I took the expired, outgrown comfortsport and told him I'd figure something out.
I just sold my MR65 that didn't fit in his truck so I will take that $ and buy a Maestro instead of what I was going to use it for. As long as DD is safe that's all I care about

henrietta

I tried to talk him into a maestro. I think I'll end up giving him the one I have for her in my moms car. She is definitely too tall to be in the comfortsport! She is 3y5months. 37" and 33lbs. She's RF in MA70 in my car. She has a Nautilus in his main vehicle and one in my BF's car.
Ex used to be so good about car seat usage, now it's like he doesn't care. I took the expired, outgrown comfortsport and told him I'd figure something out.
I just sold my MR65 that didn't fit in his truck so I will take that $ and buy a Maestro instead of what I was going to use it for. As long as DD is safe that's all I care about

Sounds like his girlfriend or some new friends are ignorant and he's trying to "fit in", like a teenager making not so smart decisions. Lucky for you, she's not a terribly large 3.5 yr old. The Maestro will more than get her to a safe booster age, and you can booster train her on your own time. In fact, if it's legal in your state, you may want to start teaching her whenever you can buy a cheaper booster that fits little ones well. That way, you can trust that she can do it.

I'm glad you've found a way to work it out for now. Best wishes. I just can't imagine having to deal with that.

Sunshine112

Sounds like his girlfriend or some new friends are ignorant and he's trying to "fit in", like a teenager making not so smart decisions. Lucky for you, she's not a terribly large 3.5 yr old. The Maestro will more than get her to a safe booster age, and you can booster train her on your own time. In fact, if it's legal in your state, you may want to start teaching her whenever you can buy a cheaper booster that fits little ones well. That way, you can trust that she can do it.

I'm glad you've found a way to work it out for now. Best wishes. I just can't imagine having to deal with that.

That's exactly what I think he's doing! How stupid, huh??
It is legal to booster at 3 here, and my parents live 2 blocks away and my Gma lives 3. I live in a very small town. Maybe I should start booster training her on rides to their homes? What booster will fit her well in that case, a high back turbo?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
3 year old bones just aren't mature enough... I'd wait if you can, even if it means you move your seat when she's with your mom, etc.

Sunshine112

3 year old bones just aren't mature enough... I'd wait if you can, even if it means you move your seat when she's with your mom, etc.

Thank you :). I think I finally have the seat thing figured out for his truck. I wouldn't even think of boostering her until at least 5, pp just suggested to start training her at some point since I have a horrid feeling her dad will booster her before. Thank goodness she is RARELY in his truck. She does have a Nautilus in their main vehicle

henrietta

I agree, but the problem isn't grandma...it's Daddy, the ex...whom she can't really control. She's not riding in a booster in her car or grandma's car right now. I'm afraid he will switch her to one though before too long--he was fine w/her riding in an expired Comfort Sport that she's way too tall for. If you're able to get him a Maestro for the truck and convince him to keep her in it AND in her Nauti, harnessed, she's got a long while before she outgrows either of those seats harnessed.

I would try to hold off as long as you can, but I wouldn't feel bad when you do decide to purchase a high back Turbo or a Harmony high back (the folding travel booster fits really well) and practicing how to route the seatbelt in the car and teaching her how to sit still in it. You don't have to dive in now, but when you suspect he's going to try it...

I'd rather her be harnessed till closer to 5 also, but if he ends up using a harnessed seat totally wrong, there may come a point where she is safer in a properly used booster seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC