Honda Odyssey 2011+ "plus one" successful install thread

Stelvis

Here's what I have been able to install in the center:

-New generation Britax convertible (RF and FF) LATCH
-Britax B Safe LATCH
-"Classic" Britax Roundabout 50 FF LATCH

I'm sure there are others; I can try later.

Here's what I have not been able to install:

-Combi Coccoro RF (no methods worked)
-Classic Britax Roundabout RF (neither LATCH nor seatbelt)
-Nextfit (Neither)
-Graco Size4Me 70 (neither)

The latter two I just tried in the parking lot at BRU. If someone else has had success, I'd be interested in hearing about it!

Has anyone tried a Foonf RF?

ADS

maramarrie

I've also had a new generation Britax (Boulevard 70 G3) installed RF there (LATCH). I think that rubber base makes a huge difference. A Marathon Classic and Roundabout Classic 50 will NOT install RF there (too much side-side movement).

Britax Marathon Classic will install very easily and solidly FF (mine is in with LATCH). I'm 90% sure the Recaro Performance Sport/ProSport will also install FF and will allow the captain's chair to slide (I still have to confirm a good install with a tech, just in case I didn't get it solid in the "right" way - I shoved it slightly off-center toward our other outboard car seat so I could ensure the other outboard captain's chair will slide).

UPDATE: I confirmed with local techs that the Performance Sport install is good in that center location. It was installed with LATCH, but I had it out tonight and reinstalled with the seat belt to see how secure that is. I was able to get it equally secure with the seat belt. I did route it through the harness (disconnected one side of harness and then reconnected on the other side of the belt) to keep it from overlapping. I'm not familiar with seat belt install on FF seats in general, but from what I could tell it was all in the right place (I did put it back to LATCH until I can get the seat belt install inspected and DS is closer to 40lb). The seat belt install seemed a little less comfy for the kiddo because the seat belt wants to curve in the Prosport's belt path hooks and then sticks out a little. I think a call to Recaro would be helpful to know if the seat back padding can be unsnapped and re-snapped over the seat belt, to provide 2 layers of padding over the seat belt instead of just one. There also seem to be some holes in the Prosport manual's info - no information on whether the latch strap should stay on those hooks beneath the seat belt or be moved somewhere else. Also no info on using the adjustable foot for achieving angles.

With either the seat belt or LATCH the captain's chair will slide past the ProSport/Perfomance Sport.

Last edited:

jic

We have a Safety First Complete Air 50 (the original CA) FFing there right now. Have not tried anything RFing. It's sitting between two rear-facing Britax Pavilions.

Hmmm... did not know the captain's chairs slid forward/back (although they are set in Wide Mode).

snwhit

Any more seats that work in the middle seat RF? Has anyone been able to get the Nextfit to work their RF? Am I correct that Radians with angle adjuster will now work there?

YinzerMama

Any more seats that work in the middle seat RF? Has anyone been able to get the Nextfit to work their RF? Am I correct that Radians with angle adjuster will now work there?

The nextfit will not go there. I tried as hard as I possibly could and it just moved all over the place. (I only tried rf) It will go in the captain's chair great.

The radian will not go there because of where the seat folds - bight? blight? - it SHOULD fit there perfectly, width wise, but there is no where for the feet to go. Serious bummer.

I tried putting a peg convertible rf there and it would not work, it slid all over the place and I could not get it tight with latch or seatbelt. I have leather seats, maybe it would be better on cloth?

I have had a rf classic marathon there. You can move it maybe just a smidge under an inch side to side so I think it is technically all right but it's the loosest install I have ever had with the marathon so right now I have it in the capatin's chair. I am OK with the ma in the middle in a pinch but it could be more solid.

I have set the foonf there but not installed. If you have a DVD player the headrest can interfere the taller it goes.

The plus one seat is not proving to be anywhere near as flexible in real life as it looks on paper. I would love to see them turn out the next gen of ody with bucket seat that totally fills the wide mode gap. I just don't see much benefit to wide mode.

Last edited:

snwhit

Thank you for your responses. Very bummed that the taller fitting carseats - Nextfit/Radian won't fit. Guess I will order the Britax Boulevard G3 then, and we'll figure something else out for RF in a couple years when it is outgrown.

YinzerMama

Wide mode is great though if you put your FF seat on the plus one. Almost everything goes there FF.

Yes but it doesn't give you any benefit you wouldn't have by having a truly full size seat filling the gap. If they made that a full size bucket seat (like the old sienna) pretty much any car seat would fit there and it would be more comfortable just to use as a seat. Pretty much the only benefit to letting the seats on the end move in and out is you get a teeny bit more room to get into the 3rd row when the car is in narrow mode and imo that's a negliable benefit compared to having an even more useful center seat. It was a good idea but it's like they didn't think it all the way through.

YinzerMama

Thank you for your responses. Very bummed that the taller fitting carseats - Nextfit/Radian won't fit. Guess I will order the Britax Boulevard G3 then, and we'll figure something else out for RF in a couple years when it is outgrown.

It's a bummer to me, too, because I really like to leave an aisle seat open for easy access to the back. My girls are small though and have just been jumping over the plus one seat, as it is folded like an armrest. This car really hasn't worked out as well for us as our old car (8 seater sienna) but we're making do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC