Question Would you call Graco?

I was at Wal Mart and noticed some Travel System boxes stacked on the end of an aisle with a big sign for $125. I noticed immediately that the boxes were faded, beaten up and just scruffy looking. They were an old style "Classic Pooh" fabric. My friend had this for her 6 year old son so I knew they were old.

The manufacture date on the first box was June 2008. I asked to speak to a manager and kindly explained that they were too old to sell etc. he challenged me and asked why... I explained that they've probably been stored in a hot warehouse etc. and were very likely to be completely unsafe to use. He AGREED that they had been in a hot warehouse (we're in central Florida) but he was reluctant to take them off the shelf. He said he'd check his "recall list".

I want to call and report it but I feel like a busy body, I guess Graco would be the best people to call? This manager clearly didn't care and thought I was talking garbage. It feels wrong not to do something... Families on a budget are going to unknowingly buy expired infant seats if not.

Oh, and I took pictures of both the boxes and DOM label.

ADS

Stelvis

I'd call WalMart corporate, I can't believe they want to be selling those, especially not at that price.

MommyShannon

Carseats are in hot cars for years so I don't think they are unusable, but are expiring. Its basically guaranteed they will be used past their expiration.

Alright, I called Graco... The long and short of it is that because they're technically not expired yet, they are doing nothing wrong.

So Graco is ok with a company selling very nearly expired seats. I explained that even if they are not expired now, they will expire while in use etc. but she wasn't concerned. I asked her if she knew how hot a warehouse was in Florida and if she'd be comfortable using a seat that had been in extreme temperatures for 5 years and again, she wasn't concerned.

I wonder if someone higher up with Graco would say the same thing? I'm interested to know thoughts here.

HappyHoo

The heat wouldn't bother me b/c most are in cars with heat like that too.

And there is about 1 1/2 years left on the seat (DOM June 2008 should = expiration of Dec 2014).

However, that price is way too high - esp if it's a rear-adjust Snugride like I'm guessing that it is.

A price of $60 or so would be more reasonable (basically paying for the stroller with a slight increase for 1/6 of the use of the seat).

cso1997

That price is awful. When do they actually expire? My first thought was Dec of 14. But I could be wrong. My first feeling based on a '14 expiration is that they are ripping uneducated people off but they aren't doing anything unsafe. Plenty of seats take some major heat abuse during their life. I wouldn't have a problem with that. With only a year and a half left, the price should be much, much lower.

ETA: I was way too slow posting so yeah, what Joy said.

I agree that selling them may be legal and not totally horrible but yes, $125 isn't far off the regular Wal Mart price for the Spree rear adjust travel systems. I'm pretty sure they are usually in that range.

I think they should be clearanced to half of that price or should have an obvious sticker on them stating that they are nearly expired old stock.

Personally, I would not sell them and as the store manager, I'd damage them out or unbox them and sell the assembled strollers for $50 or something... What bothers me is that you KNOW these will all be used for years or even sold on Craigslist after first use. best case here is that the family learns they are expired and lose the money.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If they don't sell at that price, they will continually be marked down. Walmart WANTS to sell stuff, they aren't going to keep the price high on principle when they could lower it and move things off the floor. So I wouldn't worry too much. The heat's no big deal, and if someone uses a seat past expiration, they would do so whether they paid a lot or nothing (ie, they don't care, they want a Cute! Pooh! Cover and will probably trade it in at the next BRU event, anyway, lol)

henrietta

If they don't sell at that price, they will continually be marked down. Walmart WANTS to sell stuff, they aren't going to keep the price high on principle when they could lower it and move things off the floor. So I wouldn't worry too much. The heat's no big deal, and if someone uses a seat past expiration, they would do so whether they paid a lot or nothing (ie, they don't care, they want a Cute! Pooh! Cover and will probably trade it in at the next BRU event, anyway, lol)

Unfortunately, many folks won't know about car seats expiring and they will purchase the seat, and maybe learn later that they need to buy a new seat for their next baby that they already spent $125 plus tax on.

wnkw

Take a sharpie with you, and write on the box "carseat expires 2014".. i wont tell ;)

Seriously though.. that's nuts. Im surprised they hadnt clearanced them or sent them back, etc. If it was target, they would have been at goodwill years ago..

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC