Shopping for newish AWD car that fits three carseats.

U

Unregistered

Ok not to be too long here but first a nod to the Honda Odyssey 2011 and newer. This car is amazing. I bought it when we were 9 months pregnant with #3 and pretty much love almost everything but particularly the fact that I can fit three full size carseats across the second row and still access the back row by tilting the seats forward. One may wonder why not put kids in the back seat instead. Well I use the back for a combo of cargo and friends.

We are looking to replace our dear beloved 2001 Subaru outback. R.I.P
We live on the east coast and would like a vehicle that is awd or 4x4 that can fit three carseats easily but is not the minivan. I was hoping for across the second row easily with the center seat being rear facing. I have three Radians but have never used it rear facing. However, in all my internet searching I am not sure this will be possible. My goal is to find a

1) Über safe awd car that either a) seats 5 with 3 carseats second row or b) seats 6 between a second and third row with easy access to third row. I don't really want a bohemath though. This is supposed to be the "little car".

2) looking for used 2011 or 2012

3) Would love the new safety features- like back up camera, blind spot monitoring or camera, crazy numbers of airbags and 5 stars on just about everything except maybe one with 4 stars.

4) price tag used below 33,000. So new means below 42,000.

Last thing- stats are a 7 year old still in 5 point harness 46#' 46 inches
5 year old 43# 42inches
16 month old rear facing preferably until she is off to college ( just kidding).

Thanks,

Elizabeth

ADS

emntheboys

What about a Honda Pilot? It may be a little bigger than what you are looking for, but it meets and/or exceeds all of your criteria. 3 across is very do-able with a variety of seats, and you will have a 3rd row for those times that the kids just need to be separated. :p

We got 8" of slushy nasty snow overnight and my Pilot handled it like a dream! I absolutely love it.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Probably something you haven't considered, but take a look at the Chyrsler 300? It comes in AWD, has solid crash test ratings, can be found 1-2 years old at decent prices. 2013 Fusion comes in AWD with good crash ratings, too. Or why not another Outback? Not sure if you could find a used Volvo S60 in your price range, but that would be a great choice for everything else.

kathysr98

The Fusion would be a good choice, and if you're interested in an SUV, the Edge would be a good choice. My mother has a 2011 Edge and it has every safety feature I can think of!

Mingie

CPST Instructor
We just bought a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited. It is the 6 seater so the second row has two captains chairs and the third has two seats. I have a Frontier installed with the long belt path in the rear. We are expecting our third(oldest is 7 in a booster and then we have a 5 year old harnessed). I can easily get to the rear to buckle my 5 year old and I'm 5'8" and 30 weeks pregnant. It has a back up camera, AWD and side airbags. The crash ratings were good. It is easy to drive and the turn radius is great.

daniele_ut

Is there a reason you don't want another Subaru? We just replaced out beloved old 2001 Outback Sport with a full size Outback. DH really wanted a 2010 or newer but they were out of our price range. They fall within yours, though. We near the mountains in an area that gets a lot of snow and our other car is a minivan. We use the Outback for the family a lot in the winter months.

cantabdad

I'm just repeating what some of the previous posters suggested, but the newer Outbacks really are quite suitable for what you're looking for. I recently borrowed a 2011 Outback and had no trouble geting one Radian RF outboard and another Radian FF center. Another adult and I took turns sitting in the other outboard rear seat and we both had plenty of room, so I am 95% sure that another Radian could have gone there instead.

Subarus in the past had issues with the middle seat, but that no longer seems to be the case (at least for Outbacks starting in 2010 or so).

If you are open to a new vehicle instead of a used one, the 2013 model is well within your price range and did very well in crash testing -- TSP+ rating from the IIHS, and 5 stars from NHTSA overall and on the front and side tests. At the higher trim levels, you can add a rearview camera and Subaru's EyeSight system (camera-based forward collision warning / pre-collision braking).

SavsMom

My parents have a new Outback and love it. The back seat is comfy and I have installed seats both outboard and center with no issues. I have no experience with 3 across in it but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible.

FWIW my dad is a retired Ford dealer and trades his vehicles every year - he recently said he will continue to buy an Outback over and over again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC