Question Britax Pavillion/Advocate vs. Chicco Nextfit

U

Unregistered

I am comparing the Britax Pavillion 70-g3 or advocate and the Chicco Nextfit for 11 month old DD2 as she will likely outgrow her infant seat in the next couple of months. We have a 2008 toyota highlander and 2012 ford f150. Can someone recommend either?

We have been pleased with our Marathon 70 for DD1, but looking for a seat with better head support this go around.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

Stelvis

How tall and heavy are both your kids? How old is DD1? Is DD1 forward or rear facing? Could you describe what you mean by wanting better head support?

The Pavilion is virtually the same as the Marathon you have, but with larger foam headwings. The Nextfit is a great new seat as well.

rosesmattie

I just created a profile so my original response may pop up after being reviewed by a moderator.

It looks like the Chicco Nextfit cannot be tethered rear facing unlike Britax. Is this an issue? Is it advisable to go with the advocate 70-g3 since it has more side impact protection? Advocate looks so bulky, but safety is priority...or is there an overall better seat choice than either of these?

DD1 is 3 years old--turns 4 in sept. She is 38 inches and ~34-35 lbs. She is forward facing in the Britax Marathon 70...I guess we will keep her there...she is also in a graco nautilus in husband's F-150.

DD2 is ~19 lbs and unknown length...we are looking for the new seat for her to stay rearfacing. Actually 2 new seats for 2008 highlander and f-150.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no studies showing the tether or airbags on the side of the Advocate help. All seats pass the same testing. If you're more comfortable with one versus the other that's fine, but just know that non-tetherable seats are perfectly safe. The most important thing to do is to have your younger child rear facing as long as you can, and use all of your seats properly. Any seat when used properly is very safe.

The NextFit is much taller than the Britaxes rear facing, offering about two more years of rear facing time. She's not heavy, so you don't need to worry about the 40 pound weight limit. If her torso is longer (her shirt size is bigger than her age) the Britaxes are generally not recommended as they get kids to about a 3T, so if that's going to be two years old, then maybe not. If her shirt size is smaller than her age, the Britaxes may be just fine and the NextFit overkill. I'd suggest heading to Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby to play with both.

Also, what I'd probably do is pass down the Marathon you have, then buy one convertible for the baby and one more combination seat for your older daughter. That way instead of buying two $280 seats you buy one and then a $150 seat. Save you a bit of money and get your kids perfectly safe.

Wendy

rosesmattie

Thank you for the good advice wendythomas and stelvis. I did not consider this scenario. What combination seat do you recommend besides the graco nautilus? I hate that DD1's head hangs forward when she falls asleep. Hopefully there is a combination seat without this issue.

There are no studies showing the tether or airbags on the side of the Advocate help. All seats pass the same testing. If you're more comfortable with one versus the other that's fine, but just know that non-tetherable seats are perfectly safe. The most important thing to do is to have your younger child rear facing as long as you can, and use all of your seats properly. Any seat when used properly is very safe.

The NextFit is much taller than the Britaxes rear facing, offering about two more years of rear facing time. She's not heavy, so you don't need to worry about the 40 pound weight limit. If her torso is longer (her shirt size is bigger than her age) the Britaxes are generally not recommended as they get kids to about a 3T, so if that's going to be two years old, then maybe not. If her shirt size is smaller than her age, the Britaxes may be just fine and the NextFit overkill. I'd suggest heading to Babies R Us or Buy Buy Baby to play with both.

Also, what I'd probably do is pass down the Marathon you have, then buy one convertible for the baby and one more combination seat for your older daughter. That way instead of buying two $280 seats you buy one and then a $150 seat. Save you a bit of money and get your kids perfectly safe.

Wendy

Stelvis

I would check out the Frontier. It's really comfortable according to my 4 year old. He doesn't sleep in the car much, but when he has, his head didn't fall forward.

MommyShannon

My kids had head slump (didn't seem to bother them too bad) in the nautilus, but sleep wonderfully in the Frontier85. Its so comfy for them! A new Frontier90 was just released so deals might show up for the 85. The base was changed for the 90 so I don't know if its as nice to sleep in though I assume it will be.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Her spine is far more flexible than yours or mine. It's not a bother to her, nor unsafe in any way. If she's upset by it she'll simply move her head.

If you want a different seat, that's fine! But just know that she can fix that problem on her own if it is actually a problem for her. Otherwise it's just something we parents do best. Project our problems. :) Like what I do for my kids. "I'm cold, go put on a sweater."

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC