Going to be giving some infant seat recs. - comments on my list?

AK Dad

OK, so I've had a couple of people asking recently for my recs on the best infant seat right now. Here's my short list - anything I'm missing?

1) KeyFit30 - excellent seat, no reservations about recommending, used it with my last two boys.

2) Britax Chaperone - adds rebound control and no-rethread harness. Possible downside of being more of a space hog.

3) Cybex Aton 2 - what I would personally buy right now if we were having another baby. Addition of load-leg IMO is of enough potential safety benefit to justify the price.

What do you think?

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Some others for various situations (and note that we don't have the Aton in Canada (dammit!) and our KeyFit goes to 22lbs only but same seat otherwise).

Also note that all of our rear facing seats must pass an anti-rebound standard that is essentially a straight line from somewhere in the bight of the test bench, and the dummy's head can't cross it. So our seats do that with a combination of (usually) handle required to be up and some bolsters on the front corners of the seat. Because of that I wouldn't personally jump to the Chaperone -- it's huge, heavy, and with a low weight limit. But that's just me :)

I like the SnugRide 35 for super-duper easy seat belt install and general compatibility everywhere. The 4lb min seat fits newborns nicely with the insert. It's our longest lasting seat by height and weight.

LOVE the SnugRide 30 and the OnBoard/OnBoard Air for super fit on tiny babies. Narrow straight edges of the base are helpful in 3-across scenarios.

We have fewer choices and pay more up here, but that about rounds out my list. The B-Safe seems to fit well in tight front-to-back spaces too but is pricey for the 22lb weight limit, in my opinion.

AK Dad

Because of that I wouldn't personally jump to the Chaperone -- it's huge, heavy, and with a low weight limit. But that's just me :)

Interesting ... since our Chaperone goes to 30lbs, does that mean even with its anti-rebound bar it can't pass Canada's rebound requirement above 22lbs? That would be an interesting piece of data to know ...

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Interesting ... since our Chaperone goes to 30lbs, does that mean even with its anti-rebound bar it can't pass Canada's rebound requirement above 22lbs? That would be an interesting piece of data to know ...

Hmm, good question. I didn't actually know that the US version went to 30lbs. Ours does top out at 22lbs.

featherhead

My guess is they just didn't test it to 30 lbs. With an ARB I would think it could pass. But I'm not an engineer, so what do I know :p

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would also add the Safety 1st Onboard and Onboard Air to your list.

The Onboard is a great budget seat, kind of the SureRide of the infant seat world. It will fit a 4 lb preemie (with rolled receiving blankets for support) and a 25 lb or more toddler. The Onboard Air is just like it, but with: Premium base with lock-offs, preemie support cushions, and Air Protect cells.

After careful side-by-side consideration, we chose it for our daughter over the Keyfit. Although I still love the Keyfit, I've never regretted my choice of Onboard Air and I'd choose it again in a heartbeat. In fact, I bought some as gifts for my DH's baby grandson and for my best friend's baby.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Wow, fancy list, there. Mostly I steer people toward Gracos because they fit the widest variety of strollers. The 35 Click Connect is super light, the 40 has a super awesome base (slides forward for extra legroom. 35CC can be put on the 40's base). Love the Onboard, but it doesn't fit in most other brands of double strollers (leg area is too wide to cram into graco and baby trend strollers, even ones that claim to be 'universal'). Major problem right now is that Gracos are switching to Click Connect and other brands aren't specific to that attachment method (yet, it takes time to retool the bars and stuff). Also love the B-Safe and Chiccos (same stroller problem there, though not as bad, and people with that kind of money aren't shopping for double strollers at my store :p).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC