Would you buy a booster or harness seat

If you had a 4 1/2 year old girl (5 in early Sept), and she needed a new seat, would you get her a 5 point harness seat or a high back booster? She has sat in a booster before for a very short trip, and she did fine. She is very good in the car, but she is small (41 inches tall, 34ish lbs, maybe 33 lbs in summer clothing).

She rides in a frontier in my car.

ADS

jnamommy

I agree with Stelvis. I personally would get a combination seat. You don't want to get a booster becuase she does great for short trips, then all of sudden you either go through a wiggly phase, or plan a long road trip and need the harnessing. And she's little

msg221

I was also going to say a combination seat. That is what I will be using now that all of the kids are riding FF. I don't think I will be ready for them to be in a booster until they are 6.

bnsnyde

With her size I'd go harness.
My son looks like he'll outgrow his Radian at 4.5...maybe 5 if we're lucky. Then I plan to booster him. But he's already over 40 lbs. at age 3.5, with a long torso. I'd have to see tons of growing room to get a Frontier or similar...when we get there I'll see what I want to do. Good luck!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I was also going to say a combination seat. That is what I will be using now that all of the kids are riding FF. I don't think I will be ready for them to be in a booster until they are 6.

So in a similar scenario, if the child in question were 6 instead of 4.5, you would get a booster?

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would get a combination seat, especially since you can probably hand it down to little ones.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
At 4.5, harnessed, absolutely. Unless they have outgrown every available harnessed seat on the market. Now, my 6yr old (later this month) is the SAME size and is in a booster. But there is a big difference between 4.5 & 6 IMHO.

jujumum

I would buy a Maestro for a light use seat and a Nautilus for a heavy use seat for my child.

Phineasmama

At 4.5 I'd do a harnessed seat no question. At 6 I would probably get a booster if the child could sit still in it. But then again I just bought my 6yo a Frontier 90 because she can't sit still. But she will also pass it down to DD2 once DD2 goes FFing in a couple years, so it's more than worth it to me.

msg221

So in a similar scenario, if the child in question were 6 instead of 4.5, you would get a booster?

When I said that I wouldn't be ready to booster until age 6, I was referring to the kids that I care for on occassion. I meant that I personally am not comfortable with starting booster training until age 6 and even then, it depends on the kid.

In the OP's situation, and if the child were 6 instead of 4.5, I would probably still get a combination seat for a 6 year-old, just to have the option of switching back to a harness if sitting properly on a consistent basis was an issue.

flutie128

I would probably get a harness for her. My DD will be 5 in 10 days and is 38 pounds and 44 inches tall. I had this debate a few months ago when she outgrew the Scenera and she was about 33 pounds at the time. I ended up a Maestro.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Another vote for the harness. But I'm that stick-in-the-mud who doesn't feel comfortable with boostering before 40 lbs regardless of age (exceptions grudgingly made for tall lightweights who won't fit in a harness due to height).

Lucky for me, my state law requires kids to be harnessed to 40 lbs, so I get to indulge my neurosis at our local seat checks and nobody argues with me about it like they do here. :fencing:

CelestinoZ

I would also still use a harnessed seat; I typically use harness seat until the child outgrows it by either weight or height. In fact I also have a Britax Frontier 90 on pre-order.

Athena

Another vote for the harness. But I'm that stick-in-the-mud who doesn't feel comfortable with boostering before 40 lbs regardless of age (exceptions grudgingly made for tall lightweights who won't fit in a harness due to height).

I typically use harness seat until the child outgrows it by either weight or height.

:yeahthat: I have a DD who is a couple months older and much bigger and I still can't even imagine putting her in a booster, so I would go with harness (since you asked ;)). My DD falls asleep a lot in the car and I like to wait until at least 6 for a booster anyway, so I'm considering buying her a Frontier 90, but for your little peanut, the Maestro sounds perfect.

nataliem257

My 4 1/2 year old who is about that size rides harnessed and I can't imagine boostering her to drive down the block. I imagine we'll ride harnessed for a very long time still. Mainly because I don't need the hassle, constantly looking in the rear view mirror making sure she's riding correctly, which is basically distracted driving. Plus she still sleeps in the car ALOT.

Keeanh

Harnessed seat. You can pass it down. I have an almost-5yo who is capable of riding in a booster, and is 47lbs. But she still fits in a harnessed seat so that eliminates one concern while driving -- I never have to wonder if she's in position. Same reason my almost-7yo is in a Frontier.

I have enough on my mind with 4 bigger kids and a husband :rolleyes:.

amelia222

Lucky for me, my state law requires kids to be harnessed to 40 lbs, so I get to indulge my neurosis at our local seat checks and nobody argues with me about it like they do here. :fencing:

Yep, here in Canada all of the boosters have a 40lb minimum so there is no debate. For the majority of kids it's not an issue. I do feel bad for my friend's 33lb 7yo who desperately wants a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC