Ds is thisclose to 40 lbs

VoodooChile

Ds had his 4 year well check today and was 39.4 lbs. He's in a Radian in my Pilot. Is this the point where I need to switch to a seat belt install (ugh)? I'm supposed to wait until he's consistently over 40 lbs before taking off the SafeStop, right?

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
If your Pilot is MY 2006 or newer, and your Radian has SuperLatch, I'd just wait until he's consistently over 40 lbs. Then I'd remove Safe Stop and switch to a seat belt install at the same time.

Anyway, that's what *I* would probably do. Really I think it's a judgment call. Honda tells owners that they can use LATCH up to the limits on the car seat, but they tell the writers of the LATCH manual to discontinue use at 40 lbs. I'd go with the more conservative recommendation but I'm not going to stress about whether my 39.4 lb child might be 40.1 lbs tomorrow when he's got heavier shoes on and just drank a glass of water.

AK Dad

Ds had his 4 year well check today and was 39.4 lbs. He's in a Radian in my Pilot. Is this the point where I need to switch to a seat belt install (ugh)? I'm supposed to wait until he's consistently over 40 lbs before taking off the SafeStop, right?

I assume this means you're uncomfortable using SuperLatch up to Diono's 80lb limit? Or is your Pilot a pre-Sept '05 model?

If you're at all concerned about SuperLatch, then there's certainly nothing wrong with switching to a belt install, although I find my Radian installs much more securely with SuperLatch. I'm also personally fine with using SL up to 80lbs in my 2011 Pilot, but that decision is completely up to you.

As for SafeStop, you can also go ahead and discontinue use anytime, or wait if you like -- 40.1lbs isn't going to make it fail any more than 39.9lbs is going to injure your child without it. It is an optional extra though, so taking it off now would certainly be fine.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
As for SafeStop, you can also go ahead and discontinue use anytime, or wait if you like -- 40.1lbs isn't going to make it fail any more than 39.9lbs is going to injure your child without it. It is an optional extra though, so taking it off now would certainly be fine.

Diono does not consider it optional, and they have indicated they'd rather see it in use for a 41 lb child than not in use for a 39 lb child (since kids do tend to fluctuate in weight and nobody expects a parent to take it on and off every time the kid gets in the car).

VoodooChile

My Pilot is a 2006. I tend to get a better install with SL than with the seat belt (less swearing, too), so I'd much rather do it all at once. Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't worry too much about taking the safestop at exactly 40, either. My safestop said 48, all the first models did, and there was never a recall to tell me my child was in mortal danger and I should stop using it at 40.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC