News Toyota RAV4 earns Top Safety Pick

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
The Toyota RAV4, a small SUV, earns the Top Safety Pick award for good performance in the Institute's moderate overlap front, side, rollover and rear evaluations.

Toyota redesigned the RAV4 for 2013. One notable change is that the automaker improved the RAV4's roof structure to earn a good rating for rollover protection.

In the roof strength test, the new model's roof withstood a force equal to 5 times the SUV's weight. The previous generation RAV4, manufactured from 2006 to 2012, had a strength-to-weight ratio of 3.46, which equates to an acceptable rating.

3LFh0b5f5U4

More...

ADS

AK Dad

And my guess is that when they get around to running the small-overlap test on it that it'll fail spectacularly like the Camry and the Prius V did. We shall see, but after seeing how badly those two did I personally wouldn't buy any Toyota ... seems to me that the engineers may just be "looking in the back of the book" for the answers rather than doing their own work ...

AK Dad

Re: Toyota RAV4 earns Top Safety Pickuestion re. Swede seats

Well, not to brag, but did I call it, or did I call it!? Thanks for being predictable Toyota ...

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr071113.html

Toyota RAV4 earns poor rating in small overlap front crash test

ARLINGTON, Va. — The 2013 Toyota RAV4, a small SUV, earns a poor rating for performance in the IIHS small overlap front crash test.

Toyota redesigned the RAV4 for the 2013 model year. The automaker made additional changes to models built after April to better control the stability of the steering column and to provide extra padding under the footwell carpeting.

The changes, however, weren't enough to lift the RAV4's performance in the small overlap test. A combination of poor structure and inadequate control of the dummy's movement prevented the RAV4 from earning better than a poor rating overall.

The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure, and the dummy's left foot was trapped by crushed and buckled sheet metal in the footwell. Injury measures on the dummy indicated a high risk of injury to the lower left leg. The dummy's head barely contacted the frontal airbag before sliding off the left side as the steering column moved more than 7 inches to the right, resulting in little airbag cushioning for the chest. Additionally, the safety belt allowed excessive forward movement of the dummy's head and torso, contributing to the head hitting the instrument panel.

IIHS in May released results for 13 other small SUVs but delayed testing the RAV4 because Toyota was making changes to the redesigned model. If design changes are imminent, the Institute delays tests to ensure that IIHS ratings don't soon become obsolete. The practice also encourages automakers to improve designs more quickly.

In the earlier tests of small SUVs, only the Subaru Forester and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport earned a good or acceptable rating for occupant protection in a small overlap crash and qualified for the IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+ designation. Eleven other small SUVs are rated marginal or poor (see full ratings here).

"This is a challenging test," says Institute President Adrian Lund. "Most manufacturers are going to need to make significant changes to their vehicles in order to improve protection in these kinds of serious frontal crashes."

The Institute added the small overlap test to its lineup of vehicle safety evaluations last year. It replicates what happens when the front corner of a vehicle strikes another vehicle or an object like a tree or a utility pole. In the test, 25 percent of a vehicle's front end on the driver side strikes a 5-foot-tall rigid barrier at 40 mph. A 50th percentile male Hybrid III dummy is belted in the driver seat.

The 2013 RAV4 previously earned the TOP SAFETY PICK award for good ratings in the Institute's four other tests — moderate overlap front, side, rollover and rear.

tl01

Doesn't surprise me with the way I felt my 2012 Sienna was built. Got a 2013 odyssey instead for now. Hoping for a 2014 in the future since it has the new structural changes for the small overlap test but if I had to guess which one would do better the 2012 sienna or 2013 ody in the small overlap test... I would have to guess the 2013 odyssey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC