Should I turn my 21month old FF???

embock81

My little guy is 21 months old and currently RF in his Radian. I planned on keeping him RF until he outgrew it (hence why we purchased the radian). But now I am contemplating on turning him FF per OT's suggestion. Our situation: my little guy has hearing loss and some sensory issues and has been having a difficult time with motion (vertigo) which effects stroller rides, swings, and the worst with his car seat. His Occupational Therapist said that because he cannot see where he is going that the dizziness is most likely stressing him out. She also suggested a baby mirror so he could see himself and whats happening around him but we already have one back there. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions? I really wanted to keep him rear facing but if he is becoming dizzy and uncomfortable I will turn him around if it's safe to do so...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
From a safety standpoint, my answer would be absolutely not. But I'm paging two of our resident OTs to come and give their input on this too.

Chely7425

I am not an OT (just a tech), but I have a son with a lot of sensory issues and forward facing is way worse. Too much input and movement and light and who knows what else. I would definitely try everything possible to keep him rear facing, especially if he has issues with strollers where he is facing forward it seems turning him wouldn't likely help much.

AK Dad

I really wanted to keep him rear facing but if he is becoming dizzy and uncomfortable I will turn him around if it's safe to do so...

Just remember that "safe" is measured in shades of grey ... a 21mo RFing in the US is considered ultra-safe by our current cultural norms, however in Scandinavia it would be considered nearly negligent to turn the same age child FFing.

Bottom line is your son is over 5x safer rear-facing, so my recommendation is to keep him that way.

Keeanh

Is his seat centre or outboard? Maybe move him outboard so he can see out the window better. And I would actually get rid of the mirror. Just thinking about looking at a mirror in a moving vehicle makes me feel woozy. And I don't get carsick.

bubbaray

I turned my DD1 "early" by standards on this board for medical reasons and I would do so again for medical reasons. You as the parent have to make an educated choice based on the safety advantages of RFg vs your child's specific medical situation.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Is his seat centre or outboard? Maybe move him outboard so he can see out the window better. And I would actually get rid of the mirror. Just thinking about looking at a mirror in a moving vehicle makes me feel woozy. And I don't get carsick.

I agree with this, actually. Mirrors in moving vehicles do make me sick.

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm one of the on-call OTs :). Without knowing the child, I hesitate to comment. I would do everything possible to keep him RF at 21 months, even with sensory issues. Given the other issues you posted, I suspect turning him wouldn't help, and may even make it worse, as someone above posted. I would probably do what you can to block too much extra input first... cover the windows or put dark cling shades on them, move him to the middle if possible, and see if that helps. If it makes it worse, move him outboard and uncover the windows. My thought process is to block as much input as possible. If that doesn't work, give him as much as you can. See which is better.

If he'll hold it, you might also give him a stuffed animal to hug while he rides. This would give him some proprioceptive input and an object to "ground him." Do his feet reach the seat? If not, maybe a rolled towel or something he could push against, too.

I can see her reasoning, but I don't think I'd jump right to "turn him." I'm guessing this probably comes from a place of "he's made it to the safe zone with the car seat (over 1) so why not? Whereas we are weighing his sensory needs vs. the safety of FF at his age. I'll think about it some more and come back if I think of anything else.

embock81

Thanks everyone for the suggestions... My lo's seat is behind the passenger seat since that is the only real place it can fit due to my husband needing the driver's seat back all the way. We have dark tenting on the car already but I will try putting up one of those sun cling things... I agree with the holding of an animal, my little guy loves stuffed animals but usually he will get tired of it and throw it after a few minutes. I have to say I am really amazed with the compression vest, tonight we tried it when we had to run some errands and it made a big difference with my little guy. The pressure squeezes on his hands also helped get him into the seat without a fight... Maybe this is the answer... =)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What about a weighted blanket? If he uses one of those, a small one could be used in the car.

(I've never used a vest- are they bulky or stiff? If so they might not be suitable for the car seat?)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
From what I can tell just by looking at pictures, they're probably fine in a car seat. I'd have to see one in person to form a barely more educated opinion, though.

I do want to comment that if you find a compression vest is your answer, that if it's weighted you need to account for that weight in the weight limit of your car seat. My guess is that this isn't an issue for your 21 month old in a Radian, but it's something to keep in mind for the future. A car seat's weight limit includes clothes and medical equipment in addition to the weight of the child.

Good luck. :)

henrietta

My thought is that a taller carseat, one up on a bigger base, might actually help. Then, he can see out the back window and keep his eyes focused on something. Turning him forward for this issue isn't that likely to help him, although for some kids w/sensory issues it does. Esp if it's the sensory issues are combined w/motion sickness. My friend's dd was very sensitive like that, and she did do better forward facing, in the center. But it seemed to be more b/c she could hold her mom's hand the whole time (my poor friend ripped her shoulder apart doing so though!). My son, otoh, has high functioning autism and had SID and was premature..the car seat never bothered him, but other things certainly did.

scoutingbear

Hi! The other OT here. :)

The pressure vest (stretchy or neoprene not with extra weights) is fine in a car-seat. Jess had good suggestions and I agree that a mirror will likely make things worse. I might also offer a cup of water during car rides. I have incredible motion sickness and it really helps to sip water during a ride. Also, it will help to keep hi. Cooler which can also help to stave off motion sickness.

A stuffed animal or beanbag animal are good suggestions. Most other things have already been hit on.

christineka

Do you have the angle adjuster under the seat? It makes the radian much more compact and also makes the child sit more upright, so they can see better out the back window. Perhaps that would help?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC