Help! Just got a new carseat and this is how the box was delivered...

ADS

soph's mom

I'm not a tech so I'll let them
Chime in too but honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable with it... It may be okay but it's not worth the risk...

Keeanh

It looks like just the top of the box is smushed down a bit. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

3 ladybugs

The seat looks fine, but the box was smashed to the head of the carseat. I have photos that I am sending to the store where I purchased the seat. DH wants them to replace it.

3 ladybugs

Here is the box after I was told to open it.

Here is how it hit the top of the carseat:

I know Cybex requires seats to be replaced if they were in any accident so I fail to see how this is different. I have already read the manuel to this as it was posted on here a couple of weeks ago. At least I love the color! :)

skylinphoto

I dont know but you better post install pics of that beauty!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

3 ladybugs

I dont know but you better post install pics of that beauty!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

I will once I get the real one! That was my plan for today! :(

I have yet to hear back from the store where I got it from. They better replace it. I am taking all these photos of it telling people all about how great it is... if the box wasn't damaged!!

dneul

I would be fine with it if there is no damage that is visible under the cover, ie crack or broken foam. The forces on the seat from a crash are way different then if it is in a box and falls from a short distance. This is why a box is there. To protect the seat during shipping.

3 ladybugs

The way I am looking at this, is even with no visible damage to the seat. I am delivering my newbie 1 hour away. We routinely go to where I will deliver. I live in New Jersey. Not an area of the country known for "polite" drivers. If 3 months from now when we are on the way home from the hospital, or 9 months from now when we are just driving around, we get into an accident and my son is injured, will I think back and wish I would have pushed for a new seat in a box that WAS NOT damaged. Yeah I probably would.

Honestly if this was ANYTHING else baby related I would look the other way. But I am getting an Aton 2 seat because it looks like it is the best on the market right now. So I should get what I want when I am spending about as much for my newbies seat as I did for my older son's Frontier 85 SICT. :)

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
Well it sounds like you have your mind made up, and definitely do what makes you happy. Just wanted to add that I am very particular about how my seats are handled, and I wouldn't stress about that one bit... honestly wouldn't even think twice about it.

featherhead

Well it sounds like you have your mind made up, and definitely do what makes you happy. Just wanted to add that I am very particular about how my seats are handled, and I wouldn't stress about that one bit... honestly wouldn't even think twice about it.

:yeahthat: I would maybe pull back the cover at the top and see if there are any indents or cracks in the foam. But I would feel just fine using that seat.

3 ladybugs

They are picking it up tomorrow (UPS) and I will order it again. They didn't want to issue an exchange because they said that they couldn't guarantee that UPS wouldn't do it again. Umm their warehouse is about 1.5 hours from my house, somebody did something not right to cause the box to be like that if it left their warehouse undamaged.

finn

I would use it no worries but if you are that concerned maybe you should go to a store so you can pick the seat up yourself?

Athena

OP, I'm with you. That looks abused. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with. I'm surprised so many people (here) would be okay with it, but I'm very conservative about such things. Looks very pretty! I hope you get your new one soon.

spbabyg113

Even though there likely isn't anything wrong with it, for the amount of money you had to pay for it you are absolutely entitled to the peace of mind that comes with an undamaged box. That amount of crush isn't from simple transit and if they have an issue with it they should take it up with UPS, not give you a hard time for wanting to exchange it. Love the seat though! That's on my short list for my next peanut :) Let us know how you like it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
OP, I'm with you. That looks abused. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with. I'm surprised so many people (here) would be okay with it, but I'm very conservative about such things. Looks very pretty! I hope you get your new one soon.

Even working in a store, without the UPS man involved, you really have no idea how bad the boxes get to looking just getting shipped from warehouse to warehouse. Things get thrown and dropped and smooshed (and taken out of soap-spilled crushed boxes because they sell better looking like a fresh floor model than anything in a crushed box would look). It's just not even close to crash forces of any kind. There's not hundreds of pounds of force in the belt path or on the harness, as there would be in a crash, it's a little banging on the edges that the plastic is plenty sturdy enough to handle. The only seats I've ever seen damaged in boxes (literally damaged, not just scuffed or dirty when the box rips and the cover gets gross), are Classic Britaxes, where the bottom edge of the bases would crack a bit. Britax even assured us repeatedly that it was cosmetic and the seats were safe (they just started putting foam in the bottom of the box till they could tweak the plastic or design to keep it from happening anymore).
So I guess some of us seem complacent, but there's honestly not a thing to worry about when a box gets crushed. I try to be gentle with seats in my store, but it seems futile, considering how much the guys have already thrown them around before they get to me :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC