Considering a Mazda5, can you help me out?

mommyof3tx

I haven't seen one in person but my FIL, who sells cars, thinks it would be a good option for us. I looked it up online and I really like the look of it. I currently drive an 08 Dodge Caravan but it's getting close to 100k miles so it's time to trade it in. I don't want to give up my minivan doors but I want good gas mileage so the Mazda5 seems like a great fit. I have heard that it's not compatible with some car seats though?

I would have my almost 2yr old RF in a MySize behind the driver. Probably one of my boostered kids in the other seat in the 2nd row (but would want the option of the Nautilus there, so would it fit?) and Nautilus with another booster in the 3rd row. Are there going to be any issues with that? How many top tethers are there in the back seats? I would also need to install a Pria RF occasionally...should there be an issues with that seat anywhere?

I also would occasionally have another child with us....though it would be rare since we don't really have the space unless a kid is upfront which I don't want. Is there an option to turn off the airbag in the passenger seat? If so...what would be the best option? A RF toddler there, harnessed FF seat or a boostered kid?

And this isn't car seat related but hoping someone that owns one might be able to tell me. Just how small is the trunk space with all the seats in use? I haven't seen this car in person yet, and the dealership that'll have one is a bit of a drive so before I make the drive out there I wanted to see if there were any issues that would make it not work for us.

ADS

amyd

I have a 2010. I love it. Like LOVE it:love: Pink sparkly hearts and everything. None of the seats you mentioned should give you any issues in any location. I currently have a RFing My Ride 65 and a Peg Perego infant seat in the captain's chairs and a Nautilus (harnessed mode) in the third row. There are tethers in all 4 rear seating positions.

The only seat incompatibilities I'm aware of are FFing Radian and True Fit won't install properly in the third row. I've also had issues with some boosters in the third row (Parkway SG and Monterey). Anything will install in the captain's chairs.

Trunk space is pretty minimal with all 4 seats in use. I only have 3 kids so rarely use my 4th seat. I can get a Peg P3 stroller or a Baby Jogger City Mini Double behind my third row but neither leave much room for anything else.

mommyof3tx

Perfect thanks!

I will probably be moving my almost 6yr old to a booster sometime within the next year, but thinking it'll be the Graco with surround

tam_shops

How do you fit a P3 in a Mazda 5? I've tried in my friends and it didn't fit. Think I can barely get my Maclaren in. Mazda isn't wide enough, it's super annoying!

I've also had trouble getting a booster in her 3rd row. While it was a Monterey, I'm not sure I'd like any booster in there. The belt path and booster seat meet at a funny angle.

tam

mommyof3tx

Thanks! I got one to test drive and have had it a couple days, we all fit perfectly, I LOVE it!!! All of the seats fit well, the only thing I'm not a fan of is the shape of the 3rd row headrests, my boys need them up for their boosters and it blocks almost all of the back window but I'm getting used to it. Our Britax B-agile fits perfectly in the trunk space and we could fit another something small next to it. I'm about 90% sure this will be the car we get

nataliem257

I have had my 2012 for about a year and I freaking love it. Can not say enough good things about it. I'm not sure if I would love it if I had 4 kids though. It's perfect for my 2 and occasional 2 more (step kids), but downgrading from a full sized van, you might miss the space. All that being said, its a GREAT car. All your seats should work wonderfully in it.

Amyd: what was the issue with the Monterey? I m considering getting one soon for DS2 in my 3rd row (2006 model)

Op: To get a better rear view, I place my booster in the 2 row. My ff seats are on the 3rd row. You can also place a rf seat on the third row (and load your kid by the hatch). I did it for a while ant it worked great for me but DH hated it...

P1ally

I did a lot of research on the 5 before buying my Odyssey, and it seems the actual gas mileage isn't much better than a full size van.

amyd

Amyd: what was the issue with the Monterey? I m considering getting one soon for DS2 in my 3rd row (2006 model)

Op: To get a better rear view, I place my booster in the 2 row. My ff seats are on the 3rd row. You can also place a rf seat on the third row (and load your kid by the hatch). I did it for a while ant it worked great for me but DH hated it...

The shoulder belt was getting caught up in the belt guide and wouldn't retract.

I did a lot of research on the 5 before buying my Odyssey, and it seems the actual gas mileage isn't much better than a full size van.

EPA ratings (fueleconomy.gov)
2013 Odyssey city 19 hwy 28
2013 Mazda5 city 21 hwy 28

You look at those ratings and think they're the same on the highway and the Mazda is only a little better in city. However, when you check Fuelly.com where individuals have tracked their actual fuel-mileage you'll find that the Mazda5 owners are averaging around 24mpg overall while Odyssey owners are around 20mpg, that's a 25% increase.

katymyers

I get between 26-28 mpg in my Mazda5 and all I do is city driving. And that's with one or two adults and three toddlers in Britax Boulevard 70s, a stroller and any number of additional cargo. Granted my driving habits help and I've got a manual transmission.

nataliem257

I have never clocked it, but I do know that I got 40 mpg in my civic that I had before. A tank of gas lasts almost the exact same amount of time, but takes more to fill up, because of a 12 gallon tank vs 15. That means that I'm averaging very close to 30 mpg, with a combination of city and highway.

mommyof3tx

My van (08 Dodge Grand Caravan) has been averaging 17mpg max lately in city...more like 15-16mpg. I do mostly city driving. it is slightly better on the highway though but not great.

I've had the Mazda5 since Thurs I think?? Maybe a day longer? But so far I've gotten minimum 25mpg with mostly in city. So for me it's a BIG difference.

So far I'm loving it! We have started the paperwork to get it now.

Unfortunately I have really bad hip problems and need a hip replacement so I can't climb up into the back to load my RF through the hatch so the only option is behind me for him. I thought about moving my Nautilus to the back but just from looking, I haven't actually tried, it looks like in order to get a good install I would need to move the headrest up because of where it sits when fully down? So I'm not sure it'd actually help?

mommyof3tx

Oh ok, I wonder if the Nautilus would install well back there? It seems with that lump from the headrest it would make it harder to get a good install. Again, I haven't actually tried so that's just from looking at it

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC