Help with transportation in Florida - pre-and post-cruise

toothdoc78

DH and I will be taking our two kids on a cruise this October, and I wanted some input on what to do as far as transportation/seats go.
We will be flying into Fort Lauderdale the night before and staying at a hotel. The hotel provides a free shuttle from the airport, so we'll probably take that. The next morning, we'll either take the hotel shuttle to the port or take a cab (the easier and cheaper option for the four of us). The ride will be under 10 minutes, I'm guessing. I've also considered a private car service, but haven't looked into it extensively yet. My concern is car seats - I REALLY don't want to take any if at all possible! With four people and a 7 night cruise, luggage space is really going to be at a premium. What are the regulations as far as kids in shuttles/taxis in Florida? Do they need to be in seats? Would I be crazy to put them in there without one? Do taxis and car services have seats available if we call in advance? I know that is not ideal, but I would not be as concerned with borrowing a couple HBB's to go a few miles.
DS will be 6 1/2 at the time of travel - he is currently about 49 lbs and 48 1/2 inches tall. He rides full time in a HBB. DD will have just turned 5 about 6 weeks before we cruise. She is currently about 38 lbs and 42 inches tall. She is harnessed FF, but I would be ok with her in a booster if necessary for this trip. I do own one RSTV and could get another, I just hate the thought of having to bring them, even though they don't take up much room, but obviously I want them to be safe! Any suggestions from those who have experience with this? Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

I would take the RSTV and a Bubblebum. Neither take up much room at all and that way, you have them just in case. (Some taxi/shuttle services have car seats, but expired/sketchy seats aside, I wouldn't want to get there and find out they don't have any left for whatever reason.)

jordansmom

I would take the RSTV and a Bubblebum. Neither take up much room at all and that way, you have them just in case. (Some taxi/shuttle services have car seats, but expired/sketchy seats aside, I wouldn't want to get there and find out they don't have any left for whatever reason.)

I would do the same, or just buy two bubblebums!

lil96

I travel extensively and I am often faced with this problem. Normally, I chance it. If you have the RSTV or a small backless booster, you might want to bring them, but if you don't I, personally wouldn't spend the $150 to buy the vest. They are a pain to install.
As far as I know (my sister lives in FL) car seats of any type are only required til the age of 3. (unless they have changed it since last year? IDK?)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I travel extensively and I am often faced with this problem. Normally, I chance it. If you have the RSTV or a small backless booster, you might want to bring them, but if you don't I, personally wouldn't spend the $150 to buy the vest. They are a pain to install.
As far as I know (my sister lives in FL) car seats of any type are only required til the age of 3. (unless they have changed it since last year? IDK?)

(1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined in this section, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...ng=&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html

So yes, it's illegal to not use something in the taxi for your five year old. State laws aside, the laws of physics say that the seatbelts are made for a 171 pound 5'9" dummy and won't fit either child properly. Which means abdominal and spinal injuries are possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAN9E4unQPU

I would bring two BubbleBums if you think your younger child will be over 40 pounds at the time. They fold into nothing, weigh less than about a pound, and take two minutes to blow up and put in. It's what I would do in that situation. Or I'd take a shuttle bus and never get in a taxi. I traveled this past weekend without carseats (took the train). We used our feet and public transportation, so my kids were safe all the time. If a shuttle bus is an option then you don't need to bring anything. If it's a car then by law you need something, and by the laws of physics you really need something.

Wendy

toothdoc78

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to look into getting one of the bubblebums for ds - sounds like a good option. I think it would be good to have also for playdate situations too. I'll probably either do two bubblebums or bring the rstv for dd... might be easier just to have the boosters so I can get them in and out of the shuttle bus or taxi quickly (especially if there are other people waiting too). The rstv actually worked out great for ds on our trip to Florida a couple years ago (brought the Radian for DD who was only 3). I didn't find it too cumbersome to install, but it does take a few extra minutes. DD has never ridden in a booster, let alone a lbb, but I think since we'll only be in the taxi or shuttle for 10 minutes or less (3 total trips) with me sitting right next to her, she should be fine.

ETA: Hmm... is the weight limit 40 lbs on the bubblebum? DD is only about 37-38 now; not sure if she'll be up to 40 in less than 6 months. Would that be a deal breaker to use it?

lil96

The way I read the law, the 4 and 5 yr old can be in 5 pt harness, booster, etc type car seat or they can simply be in a the cars seat belt.

http://www.dmvflorida.org/seat-belt-laws.shtml

Florida Child Restraint Requirements
Children 3 and younger must be secured in a federally approved child-restraint seat.
Children 4 through 5 must be secured by either a federally approved child restraint seat or safety belt.
The Driver is responsible for buckling up the child.

leighi123

Just an idea: on the ship itself, there is plenty of room under the bed and/or between the bed and the wall. I had no issues finding space for our luggage/carseat on either cruise we went on, and, depending on what excursions you plan to do, you may need one during the trip as well

Eclipsepearl

We've taken 10 days cruises twice and the ship steward stowed the car seat for us. No worries about finding room in the cabin!

Remember that you might need something for the excursions, if you opt to go on any. So the Bubblebum and RSTV are a good idea in general for a cruise.

If you do opt to bring a restraint and have the steward stow it on board, be sure to tell him or her that you don't want anything placed on it. Remember that they want a good tip and are handling it personally. I had no problem trusting them.

Ask them to return it the night before. This was my mistake. It was offloaded and I had to go and hunt for it on the day of our final disembarkation. Don't waste your time like I did. The evening before, you put your luggage in the hall and then you can take the seat back because there's more room.

Jeni-GAcpst

Just an idea: on the ship itself, there is plenty of room under the bed and/or between the bed and the wall. I had no issues finding space for our luggage/carseat on either cruise we went on, and, depending on what excursions you plan to do, you may need one during the trip as well

I want to second this post.
I went on a cruise with a 16mo and had no idea about car seats. We couldn't leave the ship because all the ports of call were in barge ports with a 5+ minute cab drive to the beach, town, or whatever local options were available. I didn't bring our car seat on board because we drove to the port ourselves and just left the seat in our car. We were in the Bahamas and never saw the beach! :-(
But a toddler in a foreign cab is much scarier than considering just a seat belt for a 6yo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC