Craigslist?

AngB

First of all, how old is the Britax 'Wizard'? I am assuming very old since it doesn't even appear to be a 5 point harness..I flagged it but I doubt it will disappear.

Has anyone ever tried to contact Craigslist regarding not allowing people to list/sell obviously expired car seats on their website? I know that's still not going to ensure the seats there are safe but I'm tired of seeing people trying to sell 6+ yr old Marathons for $100. They seem to have been responsive about not allowing dropside cribs to be sold there and I almost never see those posted anymore. I flag expired seats all the time but they are never removed. Just wondering if it would be worth my time to contact them and point it out directly.

ADS

Phineasmama

Wasn't it made illegal to sell drop side cribs?
I doubt they will ban expired car seats because it's not illegal to SELL them even if it is illegal to use (in states with proper use laws). I wish they would though!

Phineasmama

No, not that I know of. Even when you live in a state where it's illegal to use, you could buy one and say you're not going to use it in the car :rolleyes: It's dumb.

MotoMommaNH

I don't think it's illegal, but against CL policy. You can't post stuff that's been recalled or expired etc. right?

If I see something that's obviously expired (some people will even say in the listing it's expired), I'll flag it. Whatever, if it gets re-posted at least maybe CL will send them a note or something saying they they need to re-post and maybe they won't bother.:rolleyes:

Kobain's Mommy

Most parents don't even know car seats expired. My SIL has her 4 year old in an expired Evenflo something, with only the chest clip buckled....

As for selling expired seats. I've been looking for an expired or crashed classic MA or RA. I traded one in and regret it... DS loves the seat so my husband wanted to turn one into a chair for him since that seat relaxes him when he's overstimulated.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
All Wizards will be expired, but just as an FYI, Britax has never released a non 5 pt harness seat (well except for boosters and stuff that don't have harnesses at all) in the US. They even had a 6pt harness at one point.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
6 pt? What/when was this? I'm curious now.

It was the Galaxy, an Australian-inspired convertible, and the crotch strap was an inverted V. You can just barely see it if you know what you're looking for in that link I posted to the retired seats. I guess it's not been ruled to be an important safety feature as they never bothered having them on more seats (though one case report I read of a crash where 'perineal injury' was a problem makes me think it could't be a BAD feature! <where's the *Squeamish* smiley?>)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I tried to sell the COVER ALONE from an expired seat (and made it VERY, VERY clear that I was selling the cover alone) and my post got flagged and removed at least half-a-dozen times before I gave up. I guess people were flagging it because it was from an expired seat. :rolleyes: (the cover doesn't expire, by the way!)

My three favorite Britax seats I have ever owned are all discontinued-- the King, the Galaxy, and the Parkway (original). I loved those seats. :eek:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
IIRC that case had some other misuses and failures, though, right? Just don't want anyone to panic over it when - if it's the case I'm thinking of - that injury was not likely caused just because of the seat having a crotch strap. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
IIRC that case had some other misuses and failures, though, right? Just don't want anyone to panic over it when - if it's the case I'm thinking of - that injury was not likely caused just because of the seat having a crotch strap. :)

Yeah, it was due to misuse. But stilll....eewwwww!

safeinthecar

It was the Galaxy, an Australian-inspired convertible, and the crotch strap was an inverted V. You can just barely see it if you know what you're looking for in that link I posted to the retired seats. I guess it's not been ruled to be an important safety feature as they never bothered having them on more seats (though one case report I read of a crash where 'perineal injury' was a problem makes me think it could't be a BAD feature! <where's the *Squeamish* smiley?>)

6 Pt harnesses actually are much better for head excursion, since head excursion is directly affected by the effectiveness of pelvic restraint.

Jakesmama

I didn't know you could flag for expired seats! I sent a lady an email the other day because her infant seats were expired - a peg that expired in 2011 and a snugride that expired in 2012. She wrote back that she wouldn't sell the seats if they weren't safe and that she felt very comfortable selling them. And that she knows car seat safety. Now I'll just go flag her! Sheesh!

AngB

All Wizards will be expired, but just as an FYI, Britax has never released a non 5 pt harness seat (well except for boosters and stuff that don't have harnesses at all) in the US. They even had a 6pt harness at one point.

The seat in question was missing the chest clip which threw me off with the 5 point harness since it was a seat I had never seen. Good to know though re: Britax!

I didn't know you could flag for expired seats! I sent a lady an email the other day because her infant seats were expired - a peg that expired in 2011 and a snugride that expired in 2012. She wrote back that she wouldn't sell the seats if they weren't safe and that she felt very comfortable selling them. And that she knows car seat safety. Now I'll just go flag her! Sheesh!

I think it requires multiple flags to get it removed though (?) I only flag obviously expired seats like when they show the date or mention it was purchased in 2003, etc. but that didn't seem to be getting them removed. I'm going to try emailing the link posted above. We are trying to find some gently used outside toys for DS and wading through the expired seats makes me crazy and flagging wasn't getting them removed.

ncchuck

is it because it was recalled and old the reason i cant find a century infant loveseat i need one for a mst3k gypsy puppet . i have been looking for one for a real long time and have posted on craiglist looking for one but noone has one or they cant sell it. i am not to bright on these things but is it still illegal to sell it if its not going to be used as a carseat but cut up and used as a puppet?

safeinthecar

The seat in question was missing the chest clip which threw me off with the 5 point harness since it was a seat I had never seen. Good to know though re: Britax!

The chest clip isn't what makes a 5 pt a 5 pt. It's the number of places the harness connects to the shell.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC