The New Recaro Performance Ride?

U

Unregistered

Has anyone had a chance to test/review the new Recaro Performance Ride? I am leaning towards this seat over the Radian RXT,the Peg Perego Viaggo, and the Britax Boulevard (that I bought, and already dislike- the straps are so short, I find it difficult to get my son in and out). My husband and I checked it out at Buy Buy Baby and liked it, but I like to read as many reviews as possible when getting baby gear and I can't find any on this seat.

Do you think I can basically rely on the ProRide reviews, or is this new seat all that different? It seems as though some people complained about the straps twisting on that seat. My son is in a Graco Snugride now, and the straps twist up CONSTANTLY. I can't take another seat with straps that twist!!

One of my concerns is that my son is long and skinny, so I worry about how long he will be able to RF in this seat. I would have probably already said forget it and gotten a Marathon by now if I hadn't read that taller kids can't RF as long with that seat as well. And of course, I am looking for all of the usual boxes to be checked too- safety, ease of use, easy to clean, easy install, etc.

Also, any other car seats I should be considering, in your opinion?

Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

Welcome!

From my understanding, the Performance Ride is the same shell as the ProRide, just with some added features like the different strap covers and a cup holder.
With a long and skinny child, I'd be very wary of it if you want to RF past 2 (past 1, even.) It has the least leg room of any seat I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot), and it's a gigantic pain to get kids into it without smacking their heads on the door frame. I kept it for about a week when my daughter was 18 months and returned it.
It doesn't have a super short shell, but really, not many 3 year olds are going to be comfortable in it when even younger kids have their knees up to their hips!

I'd strongly suggest the RXT in this situation. It's great for tall/skinny kids, easy to load them in/get them out, straps don't twist easily, plenty of strap length. Unfortunately, nothing beats Britax with ease of use, but once you figure out the quirks, the Radians aren't bad.

What age is your son, your rear-facing goal, his stats, your car, and your price range? We might be able to give you a few other suggestions. :)

sarahlove

It's the same shell as the proride. I asked today and that's what they said. So reviews would be the same although the covers are different.
It doesn't have much leg room and sits up high. I like how high it sits for now because my dd freaks out is she can't see out the back window. It does say, or at least the proride, that you can only rearface until 3(that's if the child still fits) so if you want to rearface longer it would be better to get something else.
My dd is 18 months and fits fine but I will have to replace it by the time she's 3 to rearface longer.

U

Unregistered

Hi! Thanks so much for the info and suggestions. My son is 6 months old, 14 lbs, 26 inches. (He was 6 weeks early). I'd like to keep it $300 or less, but will spend more if I need to. I drive a Kia Sorento, and my husband drives a Chevy 2500 Extended cab (we are going to need something for his truck too- doesnt have to be the same seat). I would like to RF until about 3 (definitely at least 2). Thanks again!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC