Hit the CA hight limit... what next?

zoecoltsmama

Colt just turned four and as it turns out; he is 41.5" standing and 36.4lbs. He rides rear facing in a headwize or complete air depending on the vehicle. So now the complete air has to change because he is over the hight limit.

I have two kids and three seats, two head wise and the complete air. I don't love any of the seats. I tolerate the head wise fine, I like the deep sides and tall shell/no RF hight limit and I can handle the buckle, but the seat is sooo hard, and we drive long distances regularly also wish it had better leg room. I hate the complete air and have for a long time, just can't get good installs and it has a pretty hard seat too.

What I would love, is to buy a new seat for my son so that he could continue to rear face, that was also a god bet for when he turns forward facing. I would love it to be super comfy and recline for sleeping if possible. ultimately I would like to buy two, one for each kid. That way I could use the head wise as my back ups and complete air as the extra/emergency seat.

SO ....

Foonf
Nextfit
Radian

Are these all my choices? what would you recommend?

ADS

Stelvis

I would not buy a Foonf to RF a 4 year old for 1.5 more inches.

Is just turn him FF in the seats that he needs to go FF in and call it a day. Age 4 is great!

zoecoltsmama

but I don't like that seat at all, I can't get a good install and it's hard, so getting a new seat is less of the question than what to get. I'm thinking I might as well get one that could rear face him a bit longer and then be turned? I was thinking Foonf because my understanding is that they grow about a inch a year now and then the foonf has the forward facing crumple thing?

nannykates

1" a year is in reference to torso height I believe. I think I would go with a radian unless you really like high sides then try the nextfit but I don't know how much more rf room it will have for you. I'm not a foonf fan but maybe I would change my tune if I played with one.

Stelvis

Yeah,mbut a 41.5" kid could also be very close to outgrowing a Radian RF.

I'd just buy an FF combination seat for a 4 year old.

hrice

My almost 4 year old is 40" tall and could probably RF for at least another year. He has a pretty short torso though. I recommend trying your kid in a Radian before buying just in case though.

zoecoltsmama

Yeah,mbut a 41.5" kid could also be very close to outgrowing a Radian RF.

I'd just buy an FF combination seat for a 4 year old.

Would you say that a FF combination seat has advantages over a FF convertible? He is not all that big for his age and seams to grow slower than some of his friends, I'm thinking he could get to booster age in the seats I mentioned, or am I way off? Just thinking that if he got another chunk of rear facing time I would be rely happy and could then turn him? It's new territory for me.

mrosehughes

The CA FFing is a much different seat than when it's RFing, IMO. I really disliked ours RFing but adore it FFing. I'd try it FFing and go from there.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Well, I just bought a convertible for my FF almost 4yr old DD. BUT, I needed a seat with a base so that it would puzzle well with her older brothers boosters. If hadn't been in the equation, I would of just used a FF combination seat....or left her in the Radian XTSL. But they don't play well in my car with boosters.

Lenae

Here are my thoughts. I prefer dedicated boosters when the time comes, rather than combination seats used as boosters. I don't have LATCH and I don't like a huge heavy seat (think Frontier or Nautilus) like that not being LATCHed in while in booster mode. If you can try your son in a Radian before you buy, so you know for certain he'll have growing room RF and FF, AND budget isn't an issue, AND you like the Radian as use for a FF seat until booster age, then I'd go for it. But all those criteria would have to be met for me to make that decision.

That being said, I bought a ProSport for my son, even though I have pretty much zero plan of using it as a booster. When he outgrows the harness or turns 7, I'll sell it and get a dedicated booster. So I'm not always the most budget friendly person.

zoecoltsmama

Here are my thoughts. I prefer dedicated boosters when the time comes, rather than combination seats used as boosters. I don't have LATCH and I don't like a huge heavy seat (think Frontier or Nautilus) like that not being LATCHed in while in booster mode. If you can try your son in a Radian before you buy, so you know for certain he'll have growing room RF and FF, AND budget isn't an issue, AND you like the Radian as use for a FF seat until booster age, then I'd go for it. But all those criteria would have to be met for me to make that decision.

That being said, I bought a ProSport for my son, even though I have pretty much zero plan of using it as a booster. When he outgrows the harness or turns 7, I'll sell it and get a dedicated booster. So I'm not always the most budget friendly person.

Thanks this is helpful! my brain seams to have a hard time with these questions and you guys always help me brake it down. So radian is winning because of shel hight? Is this rite? If I like him in the radian than that would be the choicde to get? I like the idea of the next fit for its deeper sides and recline options, but never checked it in person, would it be a mistake? anyone feel liike the radian is too shallow? Foonf getting a no be cause of price?.
Car seats are the one place where I don't like to put budget into the equation, I just wamt the rite seat for us. And we don't have latch either and I agree with your dedicated booster idea.

Kel

Do you plan on more children? If so, it can't hurt to buy the RN. I would probably do as one of the PPs said and try his CA FFing first, you might like it.

I bought my almost 3 yr old a pria 70 about a month ago. He'll RF in it until 40" then flip FF. Hopefully around 4. I tried it FF and its great. BUT....I got a killer deal on it. I also have a younger DD to pass down to if I choose to, and I plan on more babies, so....I was ok with a convertible.

I'm like Lenae, I like dedicated boosters. I never have latch where I want it, and worry about heavy boosters. Also, my youngest DS and DDs will never need the height of the taller Harness boosters. My first three could have.

One thing to remember though is that not all seats have great leg support. Our pria does. The RN is good too. The frontier is great.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Can you go to a BRU and try the nextfit? That might help you decide betweek the nextfit and the Radian. Plus with the money you'll save by not getting a foonf you can get a seat for the other kiddo ;)

I am also one that prefers a different seat for each stage.... but I also just like buying seats.

Persimmon

No LATCH? Remember, we don't know how much the Foonf REACT FF safety system will help with seat belt only. The system was designed to be used with the rigid LATCH...and now they are going to OK LATCH plus seat belt. I asked how useful the REACT system is with seat belt only on 04/09 and they aren't ready with an answer yet. I am not hopeful.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC