Dodge 2012 Front Head Rests popping out in a collision

Shanora

Admin: Please move if this isn't the right place....

So a friend of mine was rear-ended at a stop light yesterday (Driver was texting and hit them full speed). Today she posted pictures, and I wanted to share something I'd never heard of, or ever seen.

262557_10152770814965506_909621686_n.jpg

My friend said it HURT when the head rests popped out. I assume its to help prevent whiplash. So my questions has anyone seen this before or even heard of it??? I'm now a little concerned about it because if that head rest isn't positioned properly for the person sitting there it could really hurt if not do damage....and so now I'm wondering if this is something I should also be on the watch out for my friends with this vehicle and at the same time something to mention to the parents of any seat checks I do in case they didn't know about it

ADS

love-pink

Could it be what Dodge calls "active head restraints"?

Just seen that listed on my 2013 Journeys build sheet but wasn't sure what is was.

SavsMom

Yep, those are active head restraints. In an accident they will move forward to prevent whiplash.

Most vehicles have them, even the less spendy Corolla has them. Its the design that Chrysler uses that makes them look different post crash. Take it to the dealer to inspect as they may need new ones.

Shanora

Yeah the whole van is going in to be looked over... the back end was flattened and the car that hit them was totalled. Apparently she con't to text after the crash...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yep, active head restraints, and they're a good thing--not something to warn about.

That said, I do sometimes go over adult safety when I do seat checks. Make sure the parents always wear their seatbelt, that the driver isn't positioned too close to the airbag, and that the headrests are properly positioned.

Shanora

Ok thanks. Thats what I meant lol Something to just make sure I talk about with parents. I just have never seen them before.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yep, they should have support at least up to the top of the ears, and the back of their head should be no more than 2" away. (Some sources say 3")

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC