Does consumer reports like the G3 Britaxes?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have a subscription, I'll even be happy with a vague memory if anyone wants to share.
Thing is, I had a mom at BRU today who was reluctant to consider the NextFit because it had not been reviewed by consumer reports, while she went straight to Britax, and all I could think was that CR isn't generally 100% happy with them (last I checked, they think Evenflo is pretty much the best convertible maker, but it's been a few years).
I explained why each is good, went way above her head explaining rebound control features, and let her shop around more by herself.
So I'm just curious what's the latest dish on various convertibles from CR, if anyone knows? (Oh, another mom was going ON about how a child to be had a tall dad and they needed a tall seat and could NOT grasp what I was talking about when I said the stated height limits don't matter--the wrong ones printed on the Product Information Cards, especially--if someone hadn't stolen my measuring tape I'm sure I could have showed her that the top slots are all roughly 17inches, at least Britax prints all kinds of useful measurements on the box, NF was sorely lacking in real info :eek:)

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think jools' point is that she had a customer who was intent on following a CR rating... So if that parent insists upon going that direction it's helpful if she can fight fire with fire (so to speak.)

Feel free to correct me if I misunderstood the situation!!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, that explains people still coming in looking for the Momentum, which our store hasn't carried in several years.

Yeah, I point out that CR doesn't really mean much in the CR (Child Restraint) world, but people are still more likely to believe THEM, than ME, a random store employee at a store long-mocked for giving out cruddy information :banginghead:

jjordan

Ah, that explains people still coming in looking for the Momentum, which our store hasn't carried in several years.

Yeah, I point out that CR doesn't really mean much in the CR (Child Restraint) world, but people are still more likely to believe THEM, than ME, a random store employee at a store long-mocked for giving out cruddy information :banginghead:

It's not just that you're a "random store employee...," I've told people who I've been friends with for YEARS (who ought to trust me!) that CR is not a great source of information about car seats, and have gone to considerable effort telling them, in detail, about pros/cons of various models, giving special considerations to their unique situations... and what wins out? Yup, the CR recommendations. :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, even when people know I'm a tech, the doctor or CR wins out. But trust me, putting on the purple shirt makes even more people think even less of my opinion :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
CR is why we *still* see so many *$^#& Baby Trend infant seats.

Heh, that and the colors are pretty and the triangle handle is so.totally.cool., and it comes on a jogging stroller that's smaller than the Graco behemoth :hitselfonhead: (Ok, whole 'nother thread, there's a nurse in my area who makes everyone return the BT's because they flip up toward the seatback when installed. She says she's made complaints to NHTSA and a recall is pending :rolleyes:)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
(Ok, whole 'nother thread, there's a nurse in my area who makes everyone return the BT's because they flip up toward the seatback when installed. She says she's made complaints to NHTSA and a recall is pending :rolleyes:)

Ummmmm . . . :ROTFLMAO: Whatever it takes to get them off the shelves!

Keeks64

I just had a mom email me to say she researched & checked CR & the SF air protect got " awesome" ratings & was the best seat...... I banged my head a few times lol

Thankfully she's returning it for something that will work better for her but jeez of all the seats that one is not top on my list

oliviacw

Remember, Consumer Reports is all about price vs perceived value. Since car seats all technically perform the same function and pass the same tests, their recommendations are going to lean towards the cheaper seats.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
It's not just that you're a "random store employee...," I've told people who I've been friends with for YEARS (who ought to trust me!) that CR is not a great source of information about car seats, and have gone to considerable effort telling them, in detail, about pros/cons of various models, giving special considerations to their unique situations... and what wins out? Yup, the CR recommendations. :rolleyes:

I have this EXACT thing happen to me, and it's so frustrating. Although I do get a unique sort of delight when they come back to me complaining about how awful the seat is and how they wish they hadn't bought it. :whistling:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC