• Yes, no doubt.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No, wouldn't consider it.

Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

cmm7

I am considering getting an Oobr for Z (if tech ones are left). I don't have LATCH in my car I have now, but will be getting a new one this summer that will have LATCH. In order to get the Oobr I need to sell a couple seats I have. Would you use the Oobr without LATCH for a couple months (currently only driving her 1-4 times a month)? I just get nervous with how heavy it is.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Interesting thread! I'm looking forward to reading the responses. I personally would be uncomfortable using my Oobr without the LATCH because of the heaviness issue, but I know that's just based on my gut instinct and not anything concrete in terms of research, so I'm curious what others think and why. :)

I would make an extra effort to remember to re-buckle it every time the child gets out, and remove it from the car altogether when not needed. It is quite heavy, and I personally wouldn't want it unrestrained in my vehicle.

If you're only driving her a few times a month, I would look into a less expensive and lighter option, but this is just me :)

Citrine

I have used my Oobr with out latch. I do make sure it is buckled before I go anywhere if child is not with me. I have an 09 Odyssey and use it 3rd row out board sometimes, not all the time. It currently is in my husbands car LATCHED all the time. My 6yr old now uses it when ever she goes places with him on the weekend.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would do it for occasional short term needs, but not all the time, because of the loading-on-the-child heavy booster issue. (Same goes for FR in booster mode, etc.)

glockchick

I'll be using one in my suburban without LATCH. It's one of the few seats that lets the seat belt retract properly. So far the only other one I've found that allows the belt to retract properly in that position is a TB with the old belt guides. I'm hoping that jamming the LATCH guides into the bight with keep it from tipping over when DD buckles. That's been a problem with everything I've tried in the 3rd row so far. :rolleyes:

bnsnyde

We just use the OObr latched. The KiddyWorld booster has belt guides that are unique and they are awesome in our van, 8th seat. Not sure how they'd work in other vehicles. The belt never twists for us.

The Oobr retracts fine when in use (but is always twisting when he buckles), but after he gets out, the seatbelt just hangs and does not retract. Same with the Probooster in our Civic. But when child is in booster, no issues.

So I'm just really happy the Kiddyworld one gives us no problems! It's light, too.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No, I would not use an Oobr without LATCH. I wouldn't ever use the Oobr though. (I think there are comparable options that are a lot more inexpensive).

glockchick

We just use the OObr latched. The KiddyWorld booster has belt guides that are unique and they are awesome in our van, 8th seat. Not sure how they'd work in other vehicles. The belt never twists for us.

The Oobr retracts fine when in use (but is always twisting when he buckles), but after he gets out, the seatbelt just hangs and does not retract. Same with the Probooster in our Civic. But when child is in booster, no issues.

So I'm just really happy the Kiddyworld one gives us no problems! It's light, too.

I might have to try a Kiddyworld. I'm not wonderfully comfortable with it unlatched. We'll see. My Oobr isn't even here yet. :eek:

As for right now, my wiggle worm is going back into a FR 85 since she's having problems being still in her booster anyway.

lmiranda8681

:(I just found this thread when searching oobr. I just got 2 of these on nobetterdeal.com and I don't really know much about them except that someone had recommended the backless version(olli?) for my 7 year old who was complaining about being uncomfortable in his pwsg. I have a 2009 grand caravan and It's easiest for me to put the baby in the captains seat and have the other captains seat stored so I can get to the back easily to buckle my other 2. so my plan was to have it in the 3rd row, but the latch back there is crazy and in the middle of 2 seats so I can't latch it there and the use the seatbelt:/ what exactly is the problem with it not being latched, is it only when it's not being occupied, or would it be dangerous with him buckled as well?

ETA: my 21mo. old is rfing in a radian rxt and is in the arching his back, kicking and screaming to avoid being buckled stage, and it's a lot harder when I'm crouched down in the back row trying to get him in.

Last edited:

lmiranda8681

if it was really dangerous I could give them to their dad and use the parkways in my car, but since they'll be in my car a lot more I wanted to keep the better/more comfortable ones.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's not so much that it's dangerous, but that I feel lighter boosters may be safER compared to unlatched heavy boosters due to loading on the child in a crash by the booster, based on European testing.

If you like them in your car without LATCH go for it. Just make sure they are ALWAYS buckled in.

mykidsmylife

Until my oldest 5-steps (next growth spurt) the Oobr has to be unlatched as I cannot fit 3 across with it latched. I would rather have it latched because of the benefits offered by rigid latch but I have no choice right now.

cmm7

Thanks, everyone! I went ahead and ordered it because of the awesome tech deal on the older ones but will keep my fingers crossed Z doesn't outgrow the TB before I get a new car with LATCH.

I would do it for occasional short term needs, but not all the time, because of the loading-on-the-child heavy booster issue. (Same goes for FR in booster mode, etc.)

Funny you say this because I used a FR in booster mode with S for a while and never even thought twice about it. I have never actually held an Oobr so no idea how it compares to the FR in regards to weight. Maybe once it gets here I'll have a better idea!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC