Peg Perego HBB 120 - Pictures

CuddlyMonsters

So I just recently swapped our Graco Turbo w/SS for a Peg HBB 120.

Here are some pictures (this seat is installed in the 3rd row of a '11 Honda Odyssey):

First up is my 6 year old daugther she is 43 inches in height and is 40lbs.
8683565085_367bd82415.jpg

Please note - my daughter rides in a booster primarly due to a lot of sensory issues (we have tried different options), she does have a therapist that can transport her so we choose the booster, but for long trips we have her in the Radian RXT.

Here is my son who is 42lbs and I don't have his current height on him.
8684683390_3c6c924d6e.jpg

Please note - he is almost 4 (5/27 he turns 4), but this is not his primary seat (he rides in a Frontier 85). We are currently booster training him, he does great on short 5 minute rides to and from his pre-school.

*** I should add that I posted this picture to give you a reference as to how this seat fits on a kid this age, he does fit better in the Graco TB w/SS***

Last edited:
ADS

tiggercat

I am rather confused as to why you are booster training a 3 year old? I don't like the lap belt fit on him, also.

Note for those reading, boosters are usually for the 5yo+ crowd. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, no 3yo belongs in a booster.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

creideamh

I like it! If only I needed another booster (lol)
I agree about the lap belt fit for your DS, though. The TBs usually fit littles well, so perhaps use that one for him on those 5 min rides?

CuddlyMonsters

I am rather confused as to why you are booster training a 3 year old? I don't like the lap belt fit on him, also.

Because there have been 2 times during this school year that I in a crunch (his car seat which is a Frontier 85 is hard to move and takes up a lot of room in most cars/plus it was in my car because I had every intention of picking him up) needed someone to take pick him up from pre-school, because I was held up at a doctors appointment for my older daughter who had special needs or my younger daughter that has seizures.

Since that majority of other parents have booster seats in their vehicles even though they know that it is safer otherwise etc... they still choose to have extra boosters for convience/cost. Since I can't push my beliefs on others, I can however show my son how a booster is correctly used.

CuddlyMonsters

I like it! If only I needed another booster (lol)
I agree about the lap belt fit for your DS, though. The TBs usually fit littles well, so perhaps use that one for him on those 5 min rides?

I would have to agree with his, he does fit the Graco TB better, the lap belt sits lower and that is actually the booster that most of the other mom's that are allowed to "pick-up" my son from pre-school have, because it is cost effective and easy to move (depending on which kids they have that day)...

Phineasmama

I would seriously consider getting a backup seat for your 3yo, like the Evenflo SureRide.

ETA: My son is 4y 4 months old and there's no way in heck I would put him in a booster, even for going with a friend or for a short ride for 5 minutes. Most accidents happen close to home, within 5 miles actually.

And it's illegal in my state, so you might want to check that as well. Some places it's 4 AND 40 lbs for a belt positioning booster.

skylinphoto

Im not going to comment on the age for booster use thing but I dont like the fit on him and would use the tb when needed like others are saying.

Anyway, that is a nice looking booster! Love the color!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

CuddlyMonsters

I would seriously consider getting a backup seat for your 3yo, like the Evenflo SureRide.

ETA: My son is 4y 4 months old and there's no way in heck I would put him in a booster, even for going with a friend or for a short ride for 5 minutes. Most accidents happen close to home, within 5 miles actually.

And it's illegal in my state, so you might want to check that as well. Some places it's 4 AND 40 lbs for a belt positioning booster.

We have considered this, but after discussing this we don't see the actual NEED to purchase yet another seat just to use maybe 2 times a year and if even that. Also, he is only ever picked up by some else if I get held up at another appointment that ran long.

- My oldest who is now 6 has a genetic disorder followed by meetings with TSS/MT and a ton of doctors.
- My youngest has seizures and we are not sure what causes them.
- My son has anxiety disorder - so I actually make it a point that I am the one who picks him up and drops him off, but in the the off chance that he rides with someone else, he knows how to properly use a booster. Crap happens, but somehow the kid still needs to get home from school...

Not that is matters, but the kid is in the 87th percentile for height/weight. I am also aware of what PA state law is, one of the people who lives 2 houses down from us is a policeman (his wife is authorized to pick him up in a crunch)...

tiggercat

We have considered this, but after discussing this we don't see the actual NEED to purchase yet another seat just to use maybe 2 times a year and if even that. Also, he is only ever picked up by some else if I get held up at another appointment that ran long.

- My oldest who is now 6 has a genetic disorder followed by meetings with TSS/MT and a ton of doctors.
- My youngest has seizures and we are not sure what causes them.
- My son has anxiety disorder - so I actually make it a point that I am the one who picks him up and drops him off, but in the the off chance that he rides with someone else, he knows how to properly use a booster. Crap happens, but somehow the kid still needs to get home from school...

Not that is matters, but the kid is in the 87th percentile for height/weight. I am also aware of what PA state law is, one of the people who lives 2 houses down from us is a policeman (his wife is authorized to pick him up in a crunch)...

Well, if you need him picked up by someone else and he is too young for a booster, yes you do have a "need" for another harnessed seat.

Size doesn't keep him safe if he moves out of position even for a moment. FTR, I have a 3, turning 4yo right now, and I wouldn't drive him around the corner in a booster.

Obviously it is your choice as his parent, but it isn't a safe one, IMO.

Keep in mind that the peg requires vehicle head support to the tips of the child's ears, in case you are using it in an unknown vehicle.

And now I am done.

He is pretty cute though ;)

CuddlyMonsters

Well, if you need him picked up by someone else and he is too young for a booster, yes you do have a "need" for another harnessed seat.

Size doesn't keep him safe if he moves out of position even for a moment. FTR, I have a 3, turning 4yo right now, and I wouldn't drive him around the corner in a booster.

Obviously it is your choice as his parent, but it isn't a safe one, IMO.

Keep in mind that the peg requires vehicle head support to the tips of the child's ears, in case you are using it in an unknown vehicle.

And now I am done.

He is pretty cute though ;)

I am not going to use the Peg with him - I think I am going to keep our Graco TB w/SS for him. He does actually do a great job staying put on the whole 4-5 minute ride to and from pre-school. At this point I probably would not feel good about him going any longer in it.

The Peg HBB is a way better fit on my 6 year old DD. I like how it fits her better than the Graco TB w/SS.

He turns 4 in about 1 month - so my DH really doesn't see the NEED for yet another seat, just so to use 1 or maybe 2 times at the most and then there is the whole have to "guess" who is going to transport him home etc... For me there are a lot of UNKNOWN's during my day. Hence, at the VERY least I CAN teach him how to properly use it. Eh! I haven't mastered the super mom thing yet, so unfortuntely there are things that I can not change in other peoples/cars and vehicles but mine. Like I stated before - he rides in my car in a Frontier 85 and will do so for at least the next 2 years (we will see what happens then, since he is in the 87th percentile for height/weight)...

Yup! Have to admit that he is cute, but then again being his mom I might be a little biased on that...

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
They are very cute and I love the red!

I'm in PA too. There's not many of us! Are you east, west, or central PA?!

It's definitely good for children to be booster trained for emergency situations. My nanny kiddo just turned 4 and would not be booster trainable yet. I can just picture it now- my eyes staring at him, worrying the entire time if he is in position! :p

And hey, no one is "super mom." You have to do what is right for your children and what works for you!

(Disclaimer to cover my butt: I would never allow a child under 4 in a booster, even for an emergency situation).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Looks comfy! Does it feel like a 'glorified turbo', as that other poster in the other thread commented?
I'm also 'guilty' of allowing a friend of mine to put her 3 year old in a booster. He did fine. And he was fine in a side impact in a backless at 4. Sometimes the real world wins the battle and the labels on the seat (3 and 30 for most US highbacks) just have to be good enough for some kids in some situations :duck:

tiggercat

Trust me, I am not "supermom" not do I claim to be :p
I disagree with your choice, that is all. YMMV.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
..... I am also aware of what PA state law is, one of the people who lives 2 houses down from us is a policeman (his wife is authorized to pick him up in a crunch)...

This actually made me spew my coffee. I love how people think police officers always know their stuff.

Some of the most absurd misuse and total disregard for child passenger safety that I have ever seen was done by my SIL. Her dh is a police officer.

Hahahahaha

That said, I also disagree with your choice. <snip>

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
As long as he sits properly, I have no problem with a 3-year-old in a properly fitting booster. Granted, most 3-year-olds can't sit well, but there are those who can. Although I never tried, I imagine my very compliant just-turned-4-year-old would have done phenomenally, especially on a short trip. I have also had to put 3-year-olds in boosters at seat checks because they had outgrown the available harnessed options.

Is it ideal to have a 3-year-old in a booster? Probably not. However, if the kid fits properly, it's a lot better in an emergency than an improperly installed harness or no seat at all. (I do agree that the lap belt looks too high in this case, though.)

Mysweethoneybee

I have been in an emergency situation where my son had to ride in a seat I wouldn't normally be happy with. Even if I had a back up seat of my preference there was no way the person he had to ride with would have had access to it or known how to properly install even if they had access. I was incredibly happy my son knew how to ride in a backless booster. Life happens.

jeminijad

I truly believe that some folks are unable to put things into perspective.

Something used maybe twice a year, for 5 minutes, where the child meets the manufacturer minimums is not worthy of repeated disapproving posts.

Most accidents occurring close to home is interesting, but statistically the chances of something happening in that 10 minutes out of the year is... astronomically small.

OP, thank you for your pictures.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I truly believe that some folks are unable to put things into perspective.

Something used maybe twice a year, for 5 minutes, where the child meets the manufacturer minimums is not worthy of repeated disapproving posts.

Most accidents occurring close to home is interesting, but statistically the chances of something happening in that 10 minutes out of the year is... astronomically small.

OP, thank you for your pictures.

I actually think that this topic is worthy of repeated disapproving posts. While in the context of the OP's situation, a booster as an extremely rarely used emergency seat for a 3 year old may be the best choice for situation, the problem is that some may read this thread and may not understand the nuisances of this particular situation. Without the multiple posts disagreeing, this thread could give the appearance that a booster is a good choice as a backup seat for a 3 year old. While the OP may not require the repeated posts, the thread itself does to make the point clear for someone who reads this thread while looking for a seat for a 3 year old. :twocents:

Phineasmama

It is my job as a CPST not only to promote best practice but also to try and ensure the safety of children in a less than ideal situation.

Those of you who are saying that people aren't using perspective and this isn't "worthy of disapproving posts", let's put something new into perspective. Here we have a person who bought a very expensive high back booster, when her younger child occasionally has to use a high back booster instead of a harnessed seat. She probably could have bought two SureRides for the price of this one booster, but she didn't. Yes I realize she didn't buy this for the 3 year old specifically, but it is my understanding that the older child DID already have a booster.

Is a 3 year old in a HBB better than a 3 year old in nothing? Sure, of course.

Is a 3 year old in a HBB when the parent can OBVIOUSLY afford a harnessed seat, even if it IS for a so called "rare" situation, a good thing? No I don't think so. And that's not the kind of information we should be propagating. We're trying to get MORE people to use best practice, and this is not the way to do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC