lightweight travel crib (P&T, Baby Bjorn...)

crunchierthanthou

anyone have feedback on these? We're taking a long trip this summer. I need something that is light and doesn't take much space (ideally to fit inside other luggage).

ADS

kaharris83

The Baby Bjorn is pretty big when packed. We returned it because it was too big to be a carry on and didn't fit into our other luggage.

With DS1 we had a Guava Fanily GoCrib. It was awesome. Lightweight, easy to set up, packs into its own backpack so it can be carried on. We loved it.

For DS2 they have a new Guava Family Lotus crib. We just did our first trip with it. It also packs into a backpack, more rectangular than the GoCrib which is more backpack shape. The Lotus crib is all machine washable. DS2 slept awesome in it. He wasn't sleeping well before vacation and hasn't slept well since coming back, but for the entire trip every night he slept better than ever in the Lotus. I'm about to pull it out and set it up at home hoping he'll sleep again. We did put it in our luggage one way and carried it backpack style the other. They are scheduled to release a bassinet that looks awesome and a cover is set to be released in June for the sun and bugs for the Lotus. I highly recommend either Guava Family travel crib. We love/d them both!!

We looked at the older style P&Ts and didn't like it at all. It was rickety and the material was loud and scratchy. The newer one may be nicer though.

ctbcleveland

I had the P+T crib and sold it to JJordan - you could always offer to buy it from her when her trip is done this spring.

I used it for very particular circumstances (DS needed a place to sleep at the sitter's, but was too long for a PNP). It worked well.

However, it isn't easy to set up compared to a pack-n-play.

Will you have a car from your trip? I honestly would consider just buying a PNP at walmart wherever you go and just leaving it behind when you are done. Or, rent a full size crib from a baby rental company.

I think the guava crib is very cool, but pricey.

I thought the Baby Bjorn was recently recalled, but maybe I am confusing it with another one.

How old is the child?

crunchierthanthou

We're going to Costa Rica for a month. We will have a car, but I'm not sure there will be an option to grab something at a store or rent one (or trust the rental options that might be available). We'll be at the same house the whole time, so not repeated set-up/dismantling. She'll be 7-8 mos.

Oh, and she usually sleeps with me at night. I just need something to keep her contained for naps, and possibly while I'm cooking.

cupcakepirate11

What about one of those kidco pod things I'm sorry I can't remember the name its a pop up pod that you zip them in? Folds extremely small. Or a kids tent? Those are small and fun

ctbcleveland

Because I was bored last night, I did look up Wal-Mart and they have a bunch of stores in CR, I just don't know where they will be and if they have similar merchandise to what they carry here. Good to know either way.

If the bed would only be used for a nap, I might consider an aerobed toddler mattress. It has high sides to keep the baby from rolling off and sits on the ground, so less of a fall risk than a regular bed. But, it is not confined, so if she's crawling, she could climb out and roam the house. But, the benefit is that it is very compact and lasts a long time. My almost 4 year old sleeps in one every night. :eek:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/AeroBed-Sleep-Tight-Inflatable-Kids/dp/B00006IV33"]Amazon.com: AeroBed Sleep Tight Inflatable Bed for Kids: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

I also found this today, which is more similar to a regular PNP, but weighs less. Probably won't be too different in price than the other options you are considering. Still bulky thought.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/QuickSmart-3-in-1-Portable-Travel-Cot/_/R-538300

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Pile pillows around her for naps, and get a Go Pod for containment? [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00477ND0Q/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367063559&sr=8-3&pi=SL75"]KidCo GoPod Portable Activity Seat - Pistachio:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

MommyShannon

I would not put pillows by a 7-8 month old. There is still a huge risk of scouting against one or under and suffocating especially if she's looking for momma to snuggle. I love the Fisher Price Rock n Play. It goes into a thin long box. It might be too long for in a suitcase, but you could take it in the box. In its two pieces, it may just fit. It has buckles and is light.

wnkw

For napping dd2 (29.5in & 20lbs) still uses her rock n play. She will *not* just sit in it awake (and hasnt for months-but shes busy). We stayed at a condo for 1/2 a month when she was about 2 months and that's what we took as her bed. We still throw it in the car if we go to the beach for the weekend. A drawer with blankets?

Not sure how much they cost, but have you seen those portable excersaucer/highchair things? They fold up like the fold up slingy chairs. It could be perfect for while shes awake. Yeah, im awful at describing things (and with names).. ill be back!

eta:
KidCo Go-Pod Baby Activity Seat

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Go-Pod-Pistachio-Portable-Activity-Seat/dp/B00477ND0Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367071751&sr=8-3&keywords=go+pod"]Amazon.com: Go-Pod Pistachio Portable Activity Seat: Baby[/ame]

ciao! baby Portable Highchair

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ciao-baby-Portable-Highchair-Chocolate/dp/B00A47J6XG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367071572&sr=8-2&keywords=portable+highchair"]Amazon.com: ciao! baby Portable Highchair, Chocolate: Baby[/ame]

eta:
I just now see where someone else suggested the go-pod, too!
Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

crunchierthanthou

Thanks, ctbclevland! Did you look up Targets? I may have to relax my Walmart boycott. ;)

We do have a Rock n play where she naps now, but she's just about grown out of it. I don't think the poles would fit in our luggage, either.

I managed to find a barely used Phil & Ted's T2 (post recall) from a neighbor last night. It was kind of a pain to set up, but we should only have to do it once during the trip. Dd is napping in it right now, so hopefully she'll be used to it before we leave. I think I need to sew a flannel mattress cover or something, though. I was disappointed to find that the T2 doesn't have the zip down side panel. It's a long way down with a sleeping baby in your arms, but I think I'll survive for the $30 I paid.

ctbcleveland

Thanks, ctbclevland! Did you look up Targets? I may have to relax my Walmart boycott. ;)

We do have a Rock n play where she naps now, but she's just about grown out of it. I don't think the poles would fit in our luggage, either.

I managed to find a barely used Phil & Ted's T2 (post recall) from a neighbor last night. It was kind of a pain to set up, but we should only have to do it once during the trip. Dd is napping in it right now, so hopefully she'll be used to it before we leave. I think I need to sew a flannel mattress cover or something, though. I was disappointed to find that the T2 doesn't have the zip down side panel. It's a long way down with a sleeping baby in your arms, but I think I'll survive for the $30 I paid.

Funny - cause I am boycotting Target right now - so no, I did not check Target. Wal-Mart has a much bigger presence south of the U.S. than target does, so I am doubtful target will have much there. Congrats on the P+T! That is a steal!. The side zip panel is overrated. We never used it. They don't sell sheets for it, so you will have to make your own. A regular crib sheet will work length wise, but there will be a bunch of fabric on the sides.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC