First time flying with kids and seats!

aept

We are going to travel by air with the kids for the first time. It is a direct flight, about 2 hours. We will have a rental vehicle at the destination city. Kids stats are:

DS1 - 6.8 years, 54 lbs, 50 inches, usually in a parkway or vivo but can definitely do a backless booster (probably TB) for the trip. He does ok in one. Can he carry this on? Does he still get a carryon bag too?

DS2- 4.11 years (turning 5 one week after the trip), 43 lbs, 43 inches, rides harnessed in FF radian ("65") or frontier 85. He is a bit stocky and would probably fit the plane seatbelt but I'm guessing we might just as well take a Radian65 for him and use it on the plane as well. That's safest for the seat, right?

DS3- 22 months, 29 lbs. not sure on height - maybe 34"? rides rf in radians (RXT or older "65") In our cars.
He has his own seat, (not a lap baby). I think the Radian 65 might be lighter or fold smaller than the RXT? (We do have two of the Radian 65's) should he RF in the plane? What do I do with the boot and angle adjuster?

We will have two or three adults. My sister might travel with us on our way out but not back. How do we wear the Radians on our backs if we want to do that?

Should I be considering buying anything else or does anyone have suggestions to make it easier? I considered getting a bubblebum booster but if a "hard" backless isn't too much trouble then at least we already have one.
I also considered trying to booster-train DS2 as he is almost 5 but if he needs a high back booster that seems to be about as much trouble as a radian... So what's the use?

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

ADS

Brianna

All ticketed passengers get 1 carry-on plus one personal item, so your DS1 would be able to carry a backpack or something similar.

I would use the RN65 for DS2. I think the RN65 is lighter than the RXT. I wouldn't be concerned about RF vs FF on the plane, whichever is easier for you. I would adjust the strap height though if he's going to be FF.

cantabdad

How do we wear the Radians on our backs if we want to do that?

Radians come with a carrying strap that clips onto little hooks on the back of the carseat. Connect 2 of these and you can make it into a backpack. (If you can't find the straps that came with your Radians, Diono also sells them as spare parts.)

It's easier to carry if you fold the Radian beforehand, though I generally didn't do that because I did not want to be bothered folding and unfolding it... and honestly, since you've got a non-stop flight, I wouldn't either unless you're dealing with a huge walk within the airport.

DS2 is a judgment call -- if you don't mind schlepping a Radian for him, that's a great way to go. If you want to save yourself some hassle, he is technically big enough (per FAA guidelines) to just use the aircraft lap belt. You could then bring a lightweight backless booster for him for the rental car as long as it will have adequate headrests. If (1) you have the time to do "booster training" before you leave for the trip and (2) are confident in his abilities to sit in position, I might be inclined to at least consider that option. The Radian is the more tried-and-true option, though.

Part of it depends on how much driving you're doing at the destination -- for a trip where we only had 2 short taxi rides, with a parent next to her, we were comfortable using a backless booster for our 4-year-old. On other trips where we were doing some driving in a rental car, I brought her Radian.

For DS3, you may have to go FF on the plane unless the seating is more spacious than the typical coach layout. Or you may be able to fit it RF with the angle adjuster. Keep the RF boot in your carry-on so that you don't have to scramble on arrival if one of your checked bags is delayed/misplaced.

Athena

All ticketed passengers get 1 carry-on plus one personal item, so your DS1 would be able to carry a backpack or something similar.

FYI: I just bought plane tickets and when choosing flights, I noticed there were some smaller flights that only allowed a personal item, not a carry on case too. I don't think this is common, but I would double check on your airline's website (or better yet, before you choose your airline ;)).

But normally, yes I think it's a personal item plus carry on for each person with a seat, so you should be able to take a lot on for 5-6 ticketed passengers. Also, I think the car seats that are being used on the plane to not count as baggage, but the booster you carry on would. I think that's what I read, but I would read the carry on section of your airline's website to make sure you know their exact details. Happy Flying!

aeormsby

I would use the RN65 for DS2. I think the RN65 is lighter than the RXT. I wouldn't be concerned about RF vs FF on the plane, whichever is easier for you. I would adjust the strap height though if he's going to be FF.

:yeahthat:

I would get a Harmony Literider for your oldest. We've had one for DD for carpooling and traveling since just before she was 6. Nice and lightweight for taking on the plane.

A note for the carry-ons. We've always gone by the 2 per person rule (we definitely tried to limit actual carry ons when the kids were littler, the carseats they use on the plane don't count for that limit). If it's a smaller plane they'll usually be handing out gate check tags at the gate.

nannykates

What about buying a lighter travel seat fo at least one of the kids? Sureride would fit either of your harnessed kids or scenara would probably still fit your youngest.

aept

I tried my 4 (almost 5) year old in the recaro vivo today on our 7-min ride to nursery school. He sat very very nicely. I'm not sure how he would do in a backless, though.
The rental car will be a Ford Taurus (or similar). It was soooooo much cheaper than renting a minivan we had to go for it. I wonder how well he would sit in a booster in the close proximity of one or more brothers?
We will be driving 40-60 minutes between destinations (hotel, airport, downtown/museums) so I'm thinking a harness is the safest bet for ds2. I know the radians are heavy but at least I'm very familiar with them. We've had the radian 65 seats for 5 years now.
I can see buying a harmony backless if its significantly lighter than the TB. However I think DH would rather carry a heavier seat than have more seats around...

aept

Talked to Diono customer service today. Radian carry straps only came with certain sunshine kids radians (such as the 80 and xtsl) so that's why I don't have any.
I can order them "replacement parts" but I'm thinking some sort of travel cart to wheel them along might be more convenient and actually cheaper than four carry straps?
Any travel/luggage cart recommendations?

aept

My new idea is to take backless boosters for both ds1 and ds2. Ds2 is sitting great in a hbb, and has had one trial ride in a backless. He did fine for the trip but chose the hbb again on the way home again.
I'll still bring a radian65 for ds3.
Then, if on the trip ds2's booster is not working out for him, we find a Walmart and pick up a scenera for ds3 and give ds2 the radian.
We can either pack the extra backless to take home or send it with my mom, (who be driving so should have room in her trunk) - we will see her again about a month later and can get it then - we won't really need it again right away once we get back home.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC