Pick my van!

scoutingbear

It's that Toyota vs Honda debate time! Looking at 2013 models. Here is what I need:
8 passenger
Easy access
CARGO space!!!
Easy to install variety of seats. Most riders are booster age but the ability to use latch able boosters is a plus

Would be nice but not deal breaker
Navigation system

Other things that are musts for me are standard in both

Here is what I like
Toyota:
SE
Stow away 8th seat
Higher profile
Outside design
I love the service dept at our local dealership
I currently drive a highlander which I love so good experience there
Better configured cargo area

Honda:
Latch options
Can use the 8th seat for installing a CR

Help!

ADS

canadiangie

Ody. No question in my mind. I have, like zero tolerance, for big family hauling vehicles that restrict seating configuration. If I'm going to drive a minivan I want to be able to put kids everywhere and anywhere, and not be limited because of stuff that makes zero sense design wise.

Cargo space is subjective. I don't buy into these debates about cubic feet down to the last inch. It's not the size that counts, it's that you know what to do with it. ;)

Outward design is also subjective. My ugly might be your dream come true and vise versa.

MommyShannon

Yeah, Ody. 6 tether anchors! My friend has one and that 2nd row is HUGE! If you don't need 8 seats mostly, I'd actually get a 2010 Ody.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Odyssey. Hands down. 6 top tether anchors. Screw the fact that you have 5 sets of LATCH, those top tethers are gold in all rear positions.

scoutingbear

Because my kids and the 3 carpool kids are all in booster or seatbelt except for 1, I'm not as concerned about LATCH positions.

I totally know about working with cargo space. Mine and dh's car have the same amounts but we can fit more into my car because of the angles and shape.

Dh has pretty much left this up to me so I need all the input, advice, and things other like that I might not have thought of.

StillThankful

Well, I'm in the minority here because you love Toyota's service. I from the "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" generation......so I would get a Sienna.

Let us know what you get though and post pics later :D.

NVMBR02

Have you driven them both We ruled the Sienna out after test driving it and I know it has gone the other way for some people too.

Personally, I like the versatility of top tethers in all positions and as many LATCH spots as I can get, even though I have older 5 stepping kids and booster riders in my vehicle most of the time.

Both vans offer more room than my Pilot, but we must pack light since we haven't run out of room yet (granted, we don't use a stroller anymore) so for me cargo room wouldn't be a big factor.

SavsMom

Honestly, both are great choices, but YOU need to go drive both and decide which one is the better fit for YOU.

A van could have every feature you want or need but if you don't like the way it drives or aren't comfortable driving it then you won't be happy with your purchase.

stephie1012

Your list of likes on the Toyota has more. I'd get the Toyota.
I had an 01 oddy and I now have a 10 sienna. I prefer the sienna. But that could be bc there was 9yr difference in my vans.

scoutingbear

I think I'm leaning toward the sienna. But the awesome service I just got today in the service department could be swaying me. And the Sales guy was more real at Toyota. He even told me to go drive the ody. The ody sales guy tried to talk me into buying today. I want to have dh's car paid off and we have one other little loan I want paid first too. Those will be done by the end of next month

cso1997

I see a lot of people with booster riders that don't care about LATCH. I care MORE about LATCH because of my two booster riders. I can install any car seat with the seatbelt but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get my booster riders to buckle that thing when they get out ;) Much easier to just LATCH it in.

Good luck with your decision. I am very glad that our Honda dealer was a million times better than the Toyota dealer so I didn't have the make the hard decision.

MommyShannon

I see a lot of people with booster riders that don't care about LATCH. I care MORE about LATCH because of my two booster riders. I can install any car seat with the seatbelt but I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get my booster riders to buckle that thing when they get out ;) Much easier to just LATCH it in.

Good luck with your decision. I am very glad that our Honda dealer was a million times better than the Toyota dealer so I didn't have the make the hard decision.

Yes! I never really cared that my '06 Ody only has LATCH in the center of the 3rd row until DD started using boosters. Now I desperately want the outboard ones like the new Ody. As long as there are top tethers I'm happy for harnessed seats.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I think the new Siennas are super cute but that's all I've got! Car shopping is always so fun....until you can't decide between two great cars! :)

vtbecca

I'm totally biased- I love my Sienna, but your Toyota list is a lot longer. If you love the service department go for it. I also have to say I find high pressure sales a HUGE turnoff. My parents had the same experience at a honda dealer near them and it swayed them to a different dealer. I will not buy from someone who is pushing me to buy. I might go to another Honda dealer and try them, but I wouldn't buy from the pushy one.

I am sure you will love whichever one you end up with, they are both great vans. And a new car is exciting no matter what it is!

Becca

emntheboys

Am I the only one who hates the weird swoopy dash of the Sienna? We looked at one before we decided we needed four wheel drive and I just couldn't get past the dash. Dumb, I know, but you have to look at it every day!

scoutingbear

Dh loved the swoopy dash on the Sienna when he saw it today. lol
A 5-steps in the center seat, second row and the bubble bum fits their as does the literider if I absolutely have to use it.

scoutingbear

Finally got my van! We decided on the Sienna SE. :) I will go out in a bit to play carseats. Kids haven't even seen it yet! If there is anything you want to see I have the following seats: GN, FR85, CCO, MYSIZE, Radian x3 (but only 2 RF boots), Monterey, Literider. Seats that I have access to but might take me a day or so to get them are MR, topside, PWSG since those are either in DBS car or up the street at my moms house.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC