3.5 years old, FF Radian small!

bnsnyde

Anyone have a child not yet 4 barely fit FF in a Radian??? Woah! I am shocked. There goes my long term carseat set-up for the 5 kids.

I moved my son from RF (in a Radian) to FF today. He is age 3.5 and 42 inches, torso 16, and 41 lbs. He fits fine RF, still. But the straps were below his shoulders FF! I shoved the headrest up (it tends to slip). So, now the straps are above his shoulders, though not by too much. If the headrest slips down a bit again (as it probably will) is that a problem? The straps are still on the same setting (highest).

I had NO idea this seat won't last all that long. His brother was still in it at age 6.5 no problem!

The reason I turned him FF is because I put the 2 year-old in his old RF Radian, and am installing an infant seat for new baby (due very soon). It'll be an Aton 2 when seat arrives; our old Chaperone from 2009 for now.

For what it's worth, infant will go behind driver to easily click in and out of the 2011 Odyssey. 5-year-old in middle seat (Kidyworld booster), and 6-year-old behind passenger (Oobr booster).

In back, 3-year-old FF driver side, RIGHT up against the RF Radian for 2-year-old. This leaves the third part of the seat folded down so both little ones can climb in. We don't have any more space to work with so I would not know what to replace the Radian with. If I put them both outboard, then they'd have to climb over the whole back seat. Very difficult indeed.

For now our setup works but longer term...it gets tricky. ????

I always want the 3 oldest in the middle row because they all will need to exit curbside for school. Right now just 6-year-old, but next year 5 and 6-year-old...and then in 2 years, the current 3-year-old with them.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I would suggest you call Diono about the slipping head rest. When it's in its topmost position, it should not be covering the harness slots. There are couple of different things that can cause this, including a screw that needs tightening or defective headwings.

Anyway, my 2.5 year old is 38" tall and very long in the torso. She's RF and above the 2nd-to-top slots. If she were FF she'd be on the top slots already. I expect I'll be in the same position you are in a year (hopefully without the slipping head wings!).

ElfJewel

Since he still fits RF can you put him back that way? We have 2 RF Radians on the 60 part of our 3rd row. At least it would buy you some time so you don't have to figure it out now before the baby comes. Also mine climb over the whole back seat. They think it's fun :rolleyes: But they are monkeys.

Phineasmama

So you did put it on the top slot? My 4yo still fits in the Radian rear facing on the 2nd to top slot, but I had to move it to the top slot for FFing. It seems like not that much room, but he is small for his age and my average for her age 6yo still fits in it with maybe 3/4" to spare. It's weird how long it actually lasts forward facing...longer than you'd think.

MommyofThree

My almost eight year old still fits at 50 lbs and 50 inches tall. You can use the Radian untill their ears reach the top of the shell and its okay for the straps to be below their shoulders as long as they dont slide off their shoulders, which they shouldnt if the straps are tight enough. The other day I put a 62 lbs, 55 inch tall 10 year old in it and her ears were still below the shell and her shoulders were below the headrest. It didnt look the most comfortable but it still worked safely.

Stelvis

Yeah, DS would've outgrown it by now. Nor would I have used it with shoulders above the top slots, personally, no matter why they say their seat is special in that regard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC