Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CPS Advocate

Re: Do we need a special seat?

I'm still leaning towards the 86Y. I need to look into locking the belt again as well, but I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed, but then lesser of 2 evils maybe?
    “Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes...
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

Can you maybe try setting him up? Invent lots of errands to run within walking distance of home (far enough away that it's not an easy walk, like, maybe where he'll have to go up a big hill, LOL) and kick him out of the car to walk home when he gets out of position? You could follow slowly for safety in needed.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chely7425 View Post
    It sounds like you do... There is a version of the Monterrey (called the pilot) with a positional harness, perhaps that would be an option? There's also a probooster with a positional harness but I believe the pilot is taller
    Here's the seat, what is a positional harness?
    http://www.adaptivemall.com/snsepispnebo.html

I would get the 86y.

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    Can you maybe try setting him up? Invent lots of errands to run within walking distance of home (far enough away that it's not an easy walk, like, maybe where he'll have to go up a big hill, LOL) and kick him out of the car to walk home when he gets out of position? You could follow slowly for safety in needed.
    LOL I live in the middle of nowhere. Our little neighborhood is surrounded by miles of farmland. That would be one of the causes of this problem. After about 5 minutes he "forgets" everything and we have to fight the rest of the way. It is 10 minutes by highway to school and 15 minutes by the same to the nearest town.
    That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away AND you have their shoes.”

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuvBug View Post
    I'm still leaning towards the 86Y. I need to look into locking the belt again as well, but I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed, but then lesser of 2 evils maybe?
    The reason they prohibit locking it is that it leads, in their testing, to higher risk of submarining. Keep that in mind when you make that decision. After learning that I stopped locking the belt on myself.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    The reason they prohibit locking it is that it leads, in their testing, to higher risk of submarining. Keep that in mind when you make that decision. After learning that I stopped locking the belt on myself.
    Can the SG be used backless? Maybe the locking the shoulder+clip would help lower the risk.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yes, the SG can be used backless. (It can also be used in a Frontier in booster mode.)

I'd be much more comfortable with a parental decision to lock the belt if there was an anti-submarine device in use.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Advocate

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Yes, the SG can be used backless. (It can also be used in a Frontier in booster mode.)

I'd be much more comfortable with a parental decision to lock the belt if there was an anti-submarine device in use.
    We may try this first. We still have our parkway with the SG.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HEVY View Post
    Here's the seat, what is a positional harness?
    http://www.adaptivemall.com/snsepispnebo.html

It means the harness isn't actually restraining the child in a crash, it's just harnessing them upright and in position so the seatbelt can do the restraining in a crash.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good