Do we need a special seat?

LuvBug

I'm still leaning towards the 86Y. I need to look into locking the belt again as well, but I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed, but then lesser of 2 evils maybe?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can you maybe try setting him up? Invent lots of errands to run within walking distance of home (far enough away that it's not an easy walk, like, maybe where he'll have to go up a big hill, LOL) and kick him out of the car to walk home when he gets out of position? You could follow slowly for safety in needed.

LuvBug

Can you maybe try setting him up? Invent lots of errands to run within walking distance of home (far enough away that it's not an easy walk, like, maybe where he'll have to go up a big hill, LOL) and kick him out of the car to walk home when he gets out of position? You could follow slowly for safety in needed.

LOL I live in the middle of nowhere. Our little neighborhood is surrounded by miles of farmland. That would be one of the causes of this problem. After about 5 minutes he "forgets" everything and we have to fight the rest of the way. It is 10 minutes by highway to school and 15 minutes by the same to the nearest town.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm still leaning towards the 86Y. I need to look into locking the belt again as well, but I'm pretty sure it isn't allowed, but then lesser of 2 evils maybe?

The reason they prohibit locking it is that it leads, in their testing, to higher risk of submarining. Keep that in mind when you make that decision. After learning that I stopped locking the belt on myself.

LuvBug

The reason they prohibit locking it is that it leads, in their testing, to higher risk of submarining. Keep that in mind when you make that decision. After learning that I stopped locking the belt on myself.

Can the SG be used backless? Maybe the locking the shoulder+clip would help lower the risk.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, the SG can be used backless. (It can also be used in a Frontier in booster mode.)

I'd be much more comfortable with a parental decision to lock the belt if there was an anti-submarine device in use.

LuvBug

Yes, the SG can be used backless. (It can also be used in a Frontier in booster mode.)

I'd be much more comfortable with a parental decision to lock the belt if there was an anti-submarine device in use.

We may try this first. We still have our parkway with the SG.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC